Replacing Battery Due To Age--What To Do With Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I'm selling my '08 Civic to my sister-in-law and will be taking care of some maintenance items beforehand. The first thing on the list is the battery - it's almost exactly four years old.

It starts the car every single day, even in the sub-zero temps this past winter

I use my smart charger to maintain it monthly, though, at the end of the month, the voltage does drop to ~12.4-12.5VDC, likely due to the electronic load detector dropping supply voltage to the mid 12'sVDC without much load.

Negative: I did let it drain to dead once, with a light left on. The electrolyte was also found to be just below the plates once, prior to charging, so I added just enough to cover the plates prior to recharging.

NAPA CORE CHARGE: $5

I feel like it's a waste to dump this battery for a core charge refund. What would you do instead?

1. Dump it for $5 core charge

2. Sell it for greater than or equal to $5 to someone who might need it

3. Other

Selling To SIL Thread

3. Other

Leave the old battery in the car and leave her a set of jumper cables instead. As you mention, seems like such a waste replacing a good battery. 4 years old isn't necessarily old. [censored], the current battery could possibly outlast the replacement you want to buy...

Besides, the jumper cables are a tool she can keep and use over and over. The battery you buy will need to be replaced at some point, and then she'll curse your battery and wish she had jumper cables.

Wow, pretty heavyweight censor on here...

$5 is pretty low. All the other chains give $10 for old batteries. AAP was doing $20 a battery earlier this year, but went back to $10.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emmett442
3. Other

Leave the old battery in the car and leave her a set of jumper cables instead. As you mention, seems like such a waste replacing a good battery. 4 years old isn't necessarily old. [censored], the current battery could possibly outlast the replacement you want to buy...

Besides, the jumper cables are a tool she can keep and use over and over. The battery you buy will need to be replaced at some point, and then she'll curse your battery and wish she had jumper cables.

This.

My last battery lasted 7 years. Sears Die Hard Gold.

Couple of quick things:

1. The new battery is for keeps. I'll explain below

2. The battery seems to work just fine, and the basis for my question is simply that it seems wasteful to get rid of a decent battery (seems to conflict with the fact that I replaced a perfectly fine battery, I know.)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Easy....get your $5 and let NAPA take care of the recycling.

Seems like such a waste, thought it may be the route I take. I really don't need a battery hanging around.

I wonder if it would be beneficial as a backup battery. I could keep it topped off and use it fillin for a dead battery, while I look for a deal on a replacement battery. Could be YEARS, though, and I don't really want to have a battery hanging around for nothing, though....

3. Other

Were I keeping the car, I'd maintain it and be perfectly fine driving it until it died. I've got chargers and a jumper battery pack we got for Christmas this past year.

The reason for buying a new battery (which will not be returned) is based partially on the responses in the thread I linked in my OP. If they are left stranded due to a dead battery (that is also NOT caused by a bad alternator):

1. They'll have a battery with a full warranty

2. I doubt they would complain if the old battery died, but with a new battery I have zero fear of it happening. If they do find it necessary to complain in an accusatory manner, I can politely and lovingly tell them to pound sand and refer them to item 1 above.

3. I do not want them to be stranded this winter, should the battery to decide to fail them at the worst time. Batteries are cheap. [censored], I'm selling them the car for $2500. I'm not doing any of this for my own financial benefit. It's for my peace of mind, even if they don't notice or care.

//

The censor is a bit ridiculous. I actually got a warning on here once, because apparently, even if the censor works, someone can quote you and see your swear. I don't know if this is still true, but it was probably the most ridiculous comments I've ever received. I don't remember how I responded to the mod, but I'm sure it was full of self-righteousness and sarcasm. haha

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
$5 is pretty low. All the other chains give $10 for old batteries. AAP was doing $20 a battery earlier this year, but went back to $10.

Aren't there occasions where batteries are purchased back, regardless of where you got them from for a price similar to what you mention?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea

Yes that's too low. Local battery shop will give me $10 for a core.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Keep it...I'm guessing It'll last another 3 years.

What do I do with it? The new battery is going in the car before I sell it to my sister-in-law. I won't change my mind on that.

I agree with you...NEW battery for a loved one.

Turn it in and be done with it. It will sit in the garage collecting dust and discharging before you may need it.
Or give it away because Craigslist is a big time waster and be prepared for someone to come claim it and then go turn it in for scrap value whhich is probably near $10.
Scrap value not core value.

A battery might last 7 years but 3-4 years is more typical.

I recently replaced my just over 4 year old battery in the truck.
The battery in it was sitting around 12.3v, and would drop to 9.6 when starting, just at the low end of "good".

I have been traveling a lot recently in it so I changed it.
Core at Wal-Mart was $12 ($5 is a cheap core for sure), sold in on craigslist for $22 after 2 days being posted.
Guy needed a battery for his electronics test bench, so it would be on a charger most of the time, worked well for both of us.

I would think you could easily sell it for $30-50 if it is still good.

I've gotten $20 for batteries on CL. I set them on my picnic table with a brick and instructions to come check it out and leave money under the brick. I don't waste my time and the "money table" has paid for itself!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've gotten $20 for batteries on CL. I set them on my picnic table with a brick and instructions to come check it out and leave money under the brick. I don't waste my time and the "money table" has paid for itself!

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

My Costco battery is 9 years old. If I were to replace it I would sell it or give it away on C. I have several dead cores for a trade in.

Even if there is no core I give it to them, no point in having them hanging around or schlepping them all over gods creation possibly leaking in the trunk if it tips over for chump change.

Did you ever take it and get it load tested to see how it's holding up? Most places do it for free. I've got an AGM battery that's over 9 years old at this point and still working fine.

3. Other

This. I had my original battery in until last year. It only failed last year at 10-11 years old and 140k miles.
I dont know where you are in the NE, but the cold weather allows our batteries to outlast those in the south.

Is your brother bigger than you? I would hit him up for the money to get his wife a good battery. It is in his own best interest. Believe me. :
grin2:

PS to OP a battery tender will keep that battery charged if you have an outside plug. But if it settles quickly to 10 -11 volts it has a bad cell

Last edited:
The key to determining any battery's remaining life is checking the CCA output. As a battery ages, the CCA availability will decline to a point that it will not start the car or truck regardless of the voltage. This is the test that dealers use to determine whether or not to warranty replace a battery. Have it checked. If it has a lot of life in left, sell it or use it in another application. If it does not check out turn it in for the core charge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back