Firestone vs Bridgestone snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a good set of snow tires for my 17 tacoma, Ive narrowed down my selection to Firestone winterforce UV's or Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2's. Tires will NOT be studded. Just looking for some compare and contrast between the two, any reviews if yall got em
Thanks

The Firestones are traditional snow tires while the Bridgestones are more a winter/slop/slush/thin snow tire. They are not really comparable directly.

Firestone is a subsidiary of Bridgestone.

Quality should be the same.

Check Tire Rack for reviews.

The Winterforces are cheap and are for people that just want a snow tire. Reviews are at the bottom of the list in terms of performance esp in the slop or ice.

Blizzaks on the other hand get very good reviews and rank at the top of different performance measures. Here's a list of the top ten winter tires:

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-winter-tires/

Maybe consider the Nokians as well. Usually a decent price on those.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Winterforces are cheap and are for people that just want a snow tire. Reviews are at the bottom of the list in terms of performance esp in the slop or ice.

Blizzaks on the other hand get very good reviews and rank at the top of different performance measures. Here's a list of the top ten winter tires:

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-winter-tires/

Maybe consider the Nokians as well. Usually a decent price on those.

If you're talking about the R2s, I have those and they HAVE to come off as soon as the temps start getting warm. I picked mine up in the early spring on sale and the temps suddenly jumped to near 60, the dry braking was just AWFUL. I know they're not intended for such warm conditions, I would have thought about pulling them off before work that day if I had known what they would feel like.

Last edited:
I personally had Winterforce and hated them. Not only did they stink at their one job-- driving in snow-- they thumped and annoyed me during the dry part of the winter.

If you're not studding the Winterforces, DON'T get them-ANY studless winter tire would be better. I've used Snow King (made by Conti, no longer available), two sets of Conti Winter ExtremeContacts (on the xB & the Jeep), even a set of Chinese Centara Vantis on my Mom's Matrix-ALL of them outperformed conventional snow tires WITHOUT studs in all conditions except snowfall of over 12 inches. Then it was time for the A/T heavy artillery!

Last edited:
IMO, the Winterforce is a third-tier winter tire, intended to compete on price against Chinese branded winter tires

I've owned Blizzak DM-V1s and Winterforce. They both make a 2wd vehicle pretty much drive like normal all winter. Can't go wrong either way.

I have had the Winterforce and found they did great in deep snow. on ice they were better than an A/S tire but there are better ice options. Depends on the winter conditions you will encounter the most. Mine at that time was mostly snow with a rare icy road so they were fine.

The Firestones are a good deep snow tire due to its open tread pattern. It's also extremely noisy tire as well.

THe Blizzks will be good for its first approx. 50% of the tread, as it will have hits microcell-tube compound, then performance drops as the high silica winter compound is used for the remaining usefulness of the tread blocks.

The Firestones are only better than nothing. After running Blizzaks for 21 years, that's all I've ever considered using. After running the DMV1 on my 02 Chevy 4WD and getting around great in 2WD most of the time, when I got my 08 I went to a 2WD with a locking diff. No need for 4WD, running DVM2's downsized to alternate 245/70-17. Can easily out drive most other vehicles in the snow running everyday rubber. Safety is cheap.

A studdable tire without the studs is almost useless! (They're designed with the studs in mind)

Therefore, the Blizzak is the better option by default. If you're not going to use studs, use a studless tire
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
A studdable tire without the studs is almost useless! (They're designed with the studs in mind)

Therefore, the Blizzak is the better option by default. If you're not going to use studs, use a studless tire
smile.gif

Not always true. the General Altimax Arctic is an excellent winter tire for the price, even without studs. THeir performance/value is why it is a popular winter tire.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 390pi
There is a new Firestone Winterforce tire, called "Winterforce 2."
(old Winterforce UV is discontinued)

https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/winterforce-2

Probably old Bridgestone compound from previous generation (WS60, LM60, WS70, DM-V1).

Doubt it. Also says "Built with full depth tread features to help give you long-lasting performance winter after winter". THis is not true for WS60, WS70, DM-V1, etc, since they use a dual compound, their microcell-tube (whatever it is named) for approximately the first half of the tread blocks, and a high silica winter compound for the remaining. THe LM-60 is 100% high silica winter compound.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

Not always true. the General Altimax Arctic is an excellent winter tire for the price, even without studs. THeir performance/value is why it is a popular winter tire.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 390pi
There is a new Firestone Winterforce tire, called "Winterforce 2."
(old Winterforce UV is discontinued)

https://www.firestonetire.com/tire/winterforce-2

Probably old Bridgestone compound from previous generation (WS60, LM60, WS70, DM-V1).

Doubt it. Also says "Built with full depth tread features to help give you long-lasting performance winter after winter". THis is not true for WS60, WS70, DM-V1, etc, since they use a dual compound, their microcell-tube (whatever it is named) for approximately the first half of the tread blocks, and a high silica winter compound for the remaining. THe LM-60 is 100% high silica winter compound.

I know they are dual. Have WS70 still on Tiguan and had before Lm-60.
However, just because they are dual that does not mean that it is not bit improved for this tire to provide all winter compound.
Highly doubt that it is on par WS80 or DM-V2, though IMO, current Blizzak is just average, at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back