1TB cloud storage options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been googling this yesterday, but I wanted to ask this forum as well...

What are my options for a reasonably priced 1TB of cloud storage (not automated backup - I want to be able to freely upload individual files whenever I feel like)? I'd prefer something somewhat reputable that will still be around a couple of years from now... Trying to figure out what it's going to cost me on an annual basis... hoping not to spend more than say $50/yr.

Right now I have a copy on a physical HDD at an off-site location, but HDDs fail sometimes.

Right now I'm looking at Amazon Drive... $60/year for 1 TB. Just wondering if there is something less expensive, but still reliable/reputable.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Avoid Google on principle. Just avoid them.

Ditto. I fear that any data that gets into Google's hands just becomes a product they sell to marketers, even if you are paying for the service.

I have 15GB of free storage on Onedrive and love it. Very simple to use and will open Office documents when needed.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Looks like Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive are $10/month. With Apple, that price will get you 2TB.

+1

I don't think you're gonna find 1TB for $50/year. Also, if you have a catastrophic loss of data, how long will it take you to download 1TB back to your system?

1TB external portable drives are down to $50 these days, so you could buy one each year and have copies of your data all over the place.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Ditto. I fear that any data that gets into Google's hands just becomes a product they sell to marketers, even if you are paying for the service.

Not sure what difference this makes in everyone's life. I hear there is a sale on tin foil hats.

You would seem to think your life is doomed if some advertising information got in to someone's hands and they tried to sell you something. And you have the option of declining their goods/services........

I would be concerned about the stability of an organization offering storage too cheaply. I think outfits like Mega offer some pretty sweet deals but outfits like that tend to get raided and shut down and go belly-up.

I recently moved from Google to Microsoft. Microsoft's price was less - $70 for the year? And I like the fact that I can keep (MS Office format) files there, synced to my devices that are also editable online, where the synced files from Google on Docs, Sheets, etc. were only shortcuts to the online-stored files.

I have also used Amazon S3 and was very happy. I think all of the big players are going to offer the features and performance you can live with at a price you can live with.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Not sure what difference this makes in everyone's life. I hear there is a sale on tin foil hats.

You would seem to think your life is doomed if some advertising information got in to someone's hands and they tried to sell you something. And you have the option of declining their goods/services........

I don't appreciate your criticism. Welcome to my ignore list.

I don't appreciate your criticism. Welcome to my ignore list.

Thank you!

Purchase Microsoft Office 365 personal on eBay for about $35 a year .. you get 1TB of storage and all Office apps included.

Remind me not to disagree with Reddy45...

The closest to your target price from a reputable company is iDrive at $60/yr for 1tb. The first year is $15 right now, which will subsidize several of your future years down to $50.

Can't speak to the product, I use Google Drive for my personal backup and have corporate OneDrive and Box accounts.

Well, let's see. Google has your search and browsing history, your youtube history, possibly your email history if you use gmail, possibly your location and phone call history if you use Android.

Windows 10 monitors you and contains ads. In fact, some tech authorities have unironically labelled it spyware.

Televisions now listen for your voice commands, but the terms of service warn that all conversations will be transmitted to the tv manufacturer for analysis. (That is how the TVs worked in 1984, BTW.)

Obviously Amazon Alexa devices do the same thing, but people use them willingly.

Siri and other smartphone "assistants" do the same thing - your conversations are stored.

Most cars have navigation nowadays, which keeps track of where you have driven. You can see this for yourself when you install your car's smartphone app. The authorities can track and disable your car by court order.

Congress has recently allowed ISPs to sell everyone's browsing history.

The Facebook app uses your location to recommend friends based on who you have spent time with.

Many young people are hooking up through the Tinder app, so there is a company out there with a database of who they've all been with.

It has been demonstrated that there are smartphone apps which listen for ultrasonic signals in ads, so as to correlate your phone with an ad you saw at a certain time or place; you see, the ultimate goal is to merge your advertising profiles.

It's fine if you don't care about your privacy. The proximate goal of these advertising efforts is simply to figure out how much you're willing to pay for any given product. This is very apparent at Amazon's brick-and-mortar stores, where there are no pricetags - everything is priced dynamically, on your smartphone, via the Amazon app, based on the profile Amazon has built on you.

Office 365/OneDrive. You can get it pretty cheaply and you get Office + 1TB of OneDrive. Best value out there.

I've used iDrive now for several years and have been really pleased with the price and software. Good security and you can back up all your devices on it. $52 for 2 TB for a year. If you look at reviews, you'll see it is highly rated. it"s very easy to use and very flexible on backup options. Restores are no problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

Well, let's see. Google has your search and browsing history, your youtube history, possibly your email history if you use gmail, possibly your location and phone call history if you use Android.

Windows 10 monitors you and contains ads. In fact, some tech authorities have unironically labelled it spyware.

Televisions now listen for your voice commands, but the terms of service warn that all conversations will be transmitted to the tv manufacturer for analysis. (That is how the TVs worked in 1984, BTW.)

Obviously Amazon Alexa devices do the same thing, but people use them willingly.

Siri and other smartphone "assistants" do the same thing - your conversations are stored.

Most cars have navigation nowadays, which keeps track of where you have driven. You can see this for yourself when you install your car's smartphone app. The authorities can track and disable your car by court order.

Congress has recently allowed ISPs to sell everyone's browsing history.

The Facebook app uses your location to recommend friends based on who you have spent time with.

Many young people are hooking up through the Tinder app, so there is a company out there with a database of who they've all been with.

It has been demonstrated that there are smartphone apps which listen for ultrasonic signals in ads, so as to correlate your phone with an ad you saw at a certain time or place; you see, the ultimate goal is to merge your advertising profiles.

It's fine if you don't care about your privacy. The proximate goal of these advertising efforts is simply to figure out how much you're willing to pay for any given product. This is very apparent at Amazon's brick-and-mortar stores, where there are no pricetags - everything is priced dynamically, on your smartphone, via the Amazon app, based on the profile Amazon has built on you.

I have nothing to hide what so ever. Just got back from a road trip. My Facebook page said "Check in from Blank City" let your friends know where you are. I get ads in Facebook-based on my browsing history. It's doesn't affect my life one bit.

If I was worried about privacy-I would have a VPN-or just stay off Facebook and THE NET entirely. As far as ads are concerned-if I browsed it-obviously I have interest. I may or may not click on the Facebook ad. I know when I land on certain other forums-those ads at the bottom of the page are targeted at me. SO WHAT!

I know there are privacy freaks out there-who think they need to keep their life a secret-for what ever reasons.

I have an Amazon "Alexa" so there is a record of my Pandora music I listen too-again, won't change my life.

While I am aware and don't disagree with your observations-it is my contention it doesn't affect our daily lives.

We are not alone.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back