Staining utility trailer deck. Slippery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new trailer and use it mainly to haul mowers, but I also haul mulch and I don't want the dye to stain the wood. It is treated. If i remember right, usually when you use a good deck stain, it's kind of slippery. My ramp is a bit steep, so I don't want to back up the ramp and find that I spin out once the tires got the wood. If that's the case since it's already treated, maybe I should just not worry about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Penofin is excellent but will be a bit slick. Your probably better off just leaving it as is. Just FYI even newer treated timbers are a bit slick when they get wet also. I use old used diesel oil on all my trailer decks. Slick yes, but a really hard to beat treatment.

They make textured deck paint and sell it at Lowe's and Home Depot. The ramp into my barn, I mixed sand with paint and made my own textured paint that works well and does seem to hold up alright.

Not for nothing, but it is a utility trailer which many would expect to look as if it had hauled landscaping and other yard material.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Not for nothing, but it is a utility trailer which many would expect to look as if it had hauled landscaping and other yard material.

I just want the wood to last. My last trailer was only three years and it already has two rotten boards on it. I don't think they were treated though.

A treated deck (if taken care of) could last 10-15+ years easily.

The key is to pressure wash it yearly or bi yearly. Getting the moss, algae, fauna etc. off would allow it to breath and dry out as opposed to stay damp and soggy after a rain.

If you are worried about the ramp being slick, get some of those aluminum mesh sheets for masonry and gutter guards and tack it down with some decent staples.

The ramp is a bit steep so I have to back up one of my mowers onto the trailer. I just don't want to make the wood slick where the tires peel out as soon as they hit the wood when I'm at the top of the ramp.

About 3 years ago I bought one of those 5x8 tractor supply trailers. It was the one with the mesh floor since the trailer with the cheap plywood decking was $500 more. I bought my own pressure treated planks from Home Depot and bolted them down. I didn't stain them or paint them. The trailer has been used for mulch, hauling lawn mowers, tractors, rocks, furniture, etc, and is stored outside. The wood has turned a bit grey, but besides that has held up very well and is not slippery.

Since it is pressure treated, I doubt you would really need to do anything. A light coat of stain wouldn't hurt and shouldn't make it slippery. My deck (on the house) is stained and isn't slippery.

I have a front porch with treated 2x6 wood. It's over 30 years old and in great shape. I used some protectant once and it was a big mistake. When it rains the water beads up.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I have a front porch with treated 2x6 wood. It's over 30 years old and in great shape. I used some protectant once and it was a big mistake. When it rains the water beads up.

It's supposed to

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

It's supposed to
I know but it is not what I wanted as I then tracked the water in the house. Much better to leave it natural.

On my trailer the advantec(?) 4x8 plyood made it almost ten years, no treatment. Water stood on it for too long, didn't keep it shoveled clear of snow, finally rotted through. I replaced it and painted the new one. It is holding up much better than the plywood sides I put on at the same time--i guess the uv is also a factor. I don't find it slippery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back