need an inexpensive 265/70/17 tire for Expedition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford Expedition(2003) Needs tires.Any Walmart tires with decent performance? I was thinking Grabber HTS at 136 apiece.Secondary/extra car.Size I believe is P265/70/17. Will a 255/70/17 be close enough?Looks like .5inch diameter less.

If you have a Discount Tire local, check out the Provider Entrada HT tires. They're usually right around $100 a tire and have very good reviews. There's a good chance that they will be my next tire (in the same size as you) for my 4runner.

Also factor in currently running mfg rebates by checking their sites (Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Firestone, Continental, Cooper, etc.). Always makes sense to get the $50-$70 rebate. Some big box stores already factor in the rebate to their pricing. You can then take that price to a competitor who will beat it by 5%, and still submit for the mfg rebate for a 2X coupon. Worked for me.

When ordering on-line you may have to pay for shipping at $50-$60 total. It's easier to find a local installer who will match that best on line price, and already stock the tires or not charge to have them shipped in from their warehouse.

The Grabber HTS was a highly rated tire by consumer reports 4 or 5 years ago. All the above tires mentioned in the above post won't come close to the price of the Grabbers even factoring in rebates. Especially the Michelins.

The great thing about buying tires at Walmart is they are located just about anywhere. So going in for a re-balance and rotation is very convenient.

In addition-if they don't have your size at Walmart.com it's usually "ship to store" for free.

It continues to baffle me how the "Michelin brand" can be mentioned in an "inexpensive tire thread".

Last edited:
I don't know about the price now but Firestone Destination LE2's go on sale every now and then for a good discount. I have them on my 03 4Runner and I'm happy with them.

The Expedition has LTX ms2 Michelins on it now. 72,000 miles on them,could probably roll 10,000 more til bald but rainy conditions are daily.They were 1019 dollars after tax.Good, reliable,and now noisy.
Originally Posted By: CKN
The Grabber HTS was a highly rated tire by consumer reports 4 or 5 years ago. All the above tires mentioned in the above post won't come close to the price of the Grabbers even factoring in rebates. Especially the Michelins.

The great thing about buying tires at Walmart is they are located just about anywhere. So going in for a re-balance and rotation is very convenient.

In addition-if they don't have your size at Walmart.com it's usually "ship to store" for free.

It continues to baffle me how the "Michelin brand" can be mentioned in an "inexpensive tire thread".

And the Grabbers would be around $600.00-give or take.

Also-if the Michelin are less than 2/32nds-they are over due and your millage claims are off as well.

You could get more miles out of any tire if you wear down the indicators bars......

I have Provider Entrada HT tires on my old Passport. In your size from Americas/Discount they are $86 ea.It seems the tires are marketed by Taskmaster best known for their trailer tires..These might be a Americas/Discount Tire exclusive. Anyway they are 6 ply yes 6 ply tread in my vehicles size. 600 AB rating with 40,000 mile warranty.

Checked the side wall. If I got the numbers correct, the tires are made by Shandong Guofeng Rubber & Plastic Co. Ltd of China. This company makes the LeMan line for Bridgestone as well..so they must be an OK company. Only had them on 4,000+ miles and no rain or snow..The tires are smooth, quiet and have good handling. If they keep up those characteristics and wear as intended IMO they are a fantastic deal. Not saying they will match your Michelins..but give them a look if looking for a low priced tire.

Mastercraft Courser for $77, made by Cooper, excellent reviews although not many of them(4). I just bought 4 tires off of Amazon and the prices do fluctuate, change daily. So don't get too comfortable with the prices on there.

What about grabber STX? Exclusive to Walmart and gawd knows who makes them.

Hankook has a $100.00 rebate on their Dynapro model.... The A/T version in my Size (265/75/16) would have been around $100 per tire

Check out Walmart.com

Last edited:
If you can wait a couple weeks, DTD will have their labor day sale, which will get you great prices
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 9050lx

They are General tires, made by Continental. They seem to be a Walmart-exclusive version of the HTS. General tires are well-liked on BITOG, especially their Altimax RT43 car tire.

you just missed a deal, walmart had cooper A/TW for 92$ in your size

Of course I wouldnt run that tire in florida
smile.gif

walmart has random "pickup discount" deals

Originally Posted By: 9050lx

General Tire makes them.

Well,I bought Sumitomo Encounter HT.Independent dealer down the street.698.00 installed.Nice ride so far.

I got pirelli scorpion atr tires (4ea) in that size for $500 installed about 2 years ago from a local small tire shop. It was a good sale price and I am really happy w the tires. If You want a bit cheaper, delinte can be had for about $400 installed for all 4 tires. These prices are from small mom pop shops, not the larger retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back