New Michelin Xice Xi3-Plus (Xi3+) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the Xi3+ show up this year in the North American market? I don't know. Apparently, it was introduced to the Asian market this month. Information comes from the Russian website ShinaGuuide

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fshina.guide%2Freviews%2Fcategory%2Fmichelin%2F&edit-text=

https://shina.guide/reviews/michelin-x-ice-3-plus/#more-10182

Quote:
Michelin X-Ice 3+ tires Michelin X-Ice 3 Plus are an improved version of the 2012 winter friction model Michelin X-Ice 3 , confidently performing in independent tests over the past five years. The tread pattern remained practically unchanged, and as a key feature of the novelty the manufacturer marks the ability of its rubber compound to regenerate.

The unique structure of the tread is saturated with absorbing bubbles called M-Chip which, as they wear out, are directly in the contact area of the tire with the road and, due to their concave form, remove the film of water from the iced surface (analogue of microbubbles and a water-absorbing white gel in the rubber compound of winter tires Yokohama IceGuard). Thus, slippage of the tire on the ice is prevented, and the braking efficiency is significantly increased.

The internal comparative tests Michelin X-Ice 3+ and Michelin X-Ice 3, conducted by the manufacturer before the start of sales, showed that the braking length of the "plus" tires in the new condition on the ice is 4.5% shorter than the predecessor. However, with a high tread wear, this figure is increased by 11.5%.

At the same time in Michelin note that the deterioration in other performance characteristics was not revealed. " Michelin Ax Ice 3 plus" provides optimal control on snowy roads, well resists the effects of aqua and slashplanning, is stable at high speed and low noise.

It looks interesting. I'm in the market this winter for a set of xice3 tires. I'll keep an eye out for the plus.

Shina Guide writes that the Xi3+ will be manufactured in China, and initially available for purchase in Japan and China.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
No design changes means still underperforming ins slush and deep snow.

Agree, I have them on my Cruze and they are horrible in slushy snow (I've had better all seasons for sure). That is my main complaint. Deep snow is not as bad. I am trying something else next time. I am getting some partially worn Goodyear's off my Dad's Malibu he is selling since we have the same size tire. I guess that is my next tire. After that it will likely be the Goodyear's again or back to Blizzaks which is what I've mostly owned over the years.

No, they improved ice traction, but at the expense of reduced tread life. I did not see anything in the article about improvements in traction on wet pavement or cold pavement.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
Originally Posted By: edyvw
No design changes means still underperforming ins slush and deep snow.

Agree, I have them on my Cruze and they are horrible in slushy snow (I've had better all seasons for sure). That is my main complaint. Deep snow is not as bad. I am trying something else next time. I am getting some partially worn Goodyear's off my Dad's Malibu he is selling since we have the same size tire. I guess that is my next tire. After that it will likely be the Goodyear's again or back to Blizzaks which is what I've mostly owned over the years.

I am disappointed in new generation Blizzaks. They loose ice traction super fast and abruptly. No progressive loss of traction at all. I had for two winters on X5 DM-V2 and that is major issue. I talked to some skier buddies while up on the slopes they have similar complaint about WS80. It seems that right now best all around tires is Continental Wintercontact SI. In the end, Continental makes probably best winter tires for Euro market. I think if Nokian's R2 turn out too expensive for my wife's Tiguan this winter, I will get Continental.
On BMW I already bought Latitude Xi2. Got four of them (255/55 R18) on Memorial day sale for $550
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back