Anyone do UOAs with different oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering is anyone has done UOAs of different oils on the same vehicle. And if so, were the results significantly different?

I think it would be interesting to see what a Super Tech and Pennzoil UOAs look like in the same vehicle, if for anything but to see how the engine treats each oil.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Here are a few:

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs

Thanks!

Looks like Pennzoil and Mobil synthetics were pretty similar in their numbers.

What's interesting is that Mobil 5000 had similar numbers to Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. Why would that be is Mobil 5000 has no synthetic oil in it?

Originally Posted By: AnarchyX
Here are a few:

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs

Thanks!

What's interesting is that Mobil 5000 had similar numbers to Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. Why would that be is Mobil 5000 has no synthetic oil in it?

Blackstone's cheap UOAs can not tell the difference between synthetic and dino oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Here are a few:

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs

Thanks!

Blackstone's cheap UOAs can not tell the difference between synthetic and dino oil.

Is there someone else that does UOAs? Are they "better" than Blackstone?

Here are a few:

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs

Thanks!

Maybe it is the other way around?

In my '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0, tested ST Syn, M1, VWB and Amsoil at 5000 miles. I no longer have the UOAs but all wear metals were within 1ppm for all four oils, except the M1 which showed about twice the iron as the other oils. (This is well documented in the 4.0)

Would not hesitate to run any of them that distance.

Did not do a test with Pennzoil.

Are we talking about wear metal numbers being different between oils? A good candidate for that type of testing would be someone who does a lot of interstate driving as that would make for a somewhat consistent set of operating conditions.

But if SuperTech conventional results in 15ppm iron and Amsoil synthetic results in 11ppm iron, is it worth the extra cost to save 4ppm? (Which could be noise or lab error?)

I think the best use of UOAs I've seen to date is on HD earth moving equipment where detecting early signs of component failure can save hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Here are a few: 2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs
Thanks! Looks like Pennzoil and Mobil synthetics were pretty similar in their numbers. What's interesting is that Mobil 5000 had similar numbers to Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. Why would that be is Mobil 5000 has no synthetic oil in it?
To bring things back into context--the engine could not either and that was the whole point of my experiment.

AnarchyX - not sure what you are trying to learn, but modern conventional oils are not those from yesteryear. You can see that I took MS5K out on an OCI much further than many on this site run synthetic and yet the wear metals were nearly the same. Also, for your benefit my FX4 was not a cream puff, it saw regular towing in varying climates and conditions. You also have to remember that UOAs only measure certain sized particles and therefore you cannot really use them to determine wear rates. Particle counts can help with that to a small degree as does trending as I did on the full life of the truck (I traded it at 158K, but the spreadsheet is every UOA performed on every fluid change).

Here are a few:

2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs

Thanks!

Is there someone else that does UOAs? Are they "better" than Blackstone?

Sure, but are you willing to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars just to confirm if an oil contains synthetic or not?

Also, how do you define synthetic?

Know of a GM 5.3L going 400k on Mobil Super bulk - and the entry level filter from the cheapest change.

Here are a few: 2010 Ford F-150 FX4 UOAs
Thanks! Looks like Pennzoil and Mobil synthetics were pretty similar in their numbers. What's interesting is that Mobil 5000 had similar numbers to Motorcraft Semi-synthetic. Why would that be is Mobil 5000 has no synthetic oil in it?
To bring things back into context--the engine could not either and that was the whole point of my experiment.

AnarchyX - not sure what you are trying to learn, but modern conventional oils are not those from yesteryear. You can see that I took MS5K out on an OCI much further than many on this site run synthetic and yet the wear metals were nearly the same. Also, for your benefit my FX4 was not a cream puff, it saw regular towing in varying climates and conditions. You also have to remember that UOAs only measure certain sized particles and therefore you cannot really use them to determine wear rates. Particle counts can help with that to a small degree as does trending as I did on the full life of the truck (I traded it at 158K, but the spreadsheet is every UOA performed on every fluid change).

I was just trying to learn if engines actually are affected differently if different oils are used in them, and if they wear down different oils based on what they're made of. And if there was a significant amount of difference in comparison.

Just FYI, a $30 UOA's primary purpose is to see if thee are any issues with the engine, and that is best understood by trending analysis over time. Its purpose is not to compare oils.

I was just trying to learn if engines actually are affected differently if different oils are used in them, and if they wear down different oils based on what they're made of. And if there was a significant amount of difference in comparison.
These days, I do not think you are going to find a vast difference in any of the major branded oils. Pick one and run it or pick several and run them--your engine will not care.

In order to do anything even close to what you're asking with demonstrated data significance would be a massive undertaking, and UOA results would only be a minor component of the results.

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
This might be of interest or the type of information your wanting to know. Why Expensive Oil is a Waste You be the judge on the information in this article as I am still undecided .

Unfortunately, that study puts a bit too much weight on the value of data gleanable from an inexpensive UOA.

Please give this article a read.

For what it's worth, here's my last Blackstone UOA..

full-64489-4532-uoa_fusion_223968.jpg

.. the first two sets of figures (@ 223,968 miles and 214,971 miles) were running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20.

.. the last set (@207,558 miles) was a mix of Valvoline (roughly 3 qts) Next Gen MaxLife 5w20 and (if I remember correctly) 2 quarts of Castrol Syntec blend 5w20, with about 1/2 qt of Shell Rotella T5 15w40 leftover from a friend's oil change.

Wear numbers barely changed at all, from oil(blend) to oil, although you can clearly see how the numbers change in regards to the additives. What I find interesting is how the sodium trails off over the two oil changes as I went away from a sodium-based add-pack (338 to 77, to 25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back