Maybe I missed it. 2018 Equinox Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
They found a way to make the equinox cool!
if by cool you mean roll coal, then perhaps

$7,000 more for an extra 7 mpg. Some stupid people will buy it.

15,000 miles a year at 28 mpg and $2.35 a gallon for the gas model is $1,259.

15,000 miles a year at 35 mpg and $2.52 a gallon for the diesel model is $1,080.

It would take 39 years to break even.

Prices Calculation: Saskatchewan Canada

Gas at the pump today is 94.5c/litre, which works out to $US 2.81/US gallon, 28 mpg = $US 1505.00/yr
Diesel at the pump today is 95.4c/litre, which works out to $US 2.83/US gallon, 35 mpg = $US 1212.00/yr
Total fuel savings $US 293.00/yr = 24 years payback

Pretty cool they are moving into VWs old territory of consumer diesels.They can price with premium like VW used to.

They are pricing this for high profit. It will be slow seller in the niche market. Unfortunately bad timing with inexpensive fuel prices.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

15,000 miles a year at 35 mpg and $2.52 a gallon for the diesel model is $1,080.

You nailed, doesn't make economic sense.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601

I'm not a huge diesel fan. I did own a modern Jetta TDI and (reliability aside) I loved driving it. The 42MPG was really nice, as fill-ups were infrequent. The mid range torque was excellent and very pleasing in hilly country.

One thing to remember, diesels have traditionally had higher resale value. So the additional cost may be partially recovered on resale. My Jetta, for example, sold for $12K after 70K miles. A gas Jetta, at the time, may have been worth $8K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Slick17601

But it surely improves CAFE reporting numbers, right?

Equinox replaces Captiva in Australia, and to my knowledge, the diesel engine was the most popular choice among Captiva buyers, so it certainly makes sense for our market. Now they just need to get a diesel in the Acadia before that launches here in a few months.

After actually reading the article I have a question?

Where did you get $7000?

its actually a cheaper engine upgrade on the premier than the turbo 2.0 gasser.

many people will be ordering the higher level packages with the 2.0L.. so you are looking at less money for the diesel or at most a couple thousand extra.

Quote:
Compared to the gasoline 1.5-liter turbo four, the diesel commands a premium of $3740 on LT trims and $2195 on the Premier. Compared with the gasoline 2.0-liter turbo four, the LT diesel costs $1345 more, but surprisingly, the diesel costs $600 less than the 2.0-liter on the Premier trim.

So That isnt a fair comparison for $7000
That would be like comparing the Forester XT limited vs the Forester I base model and saying it costs 12000 for the engine.. when there is also a forester I limited(with fb25).. that is only a few thousand cheaper

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
2.0 Turbo is a pricey mofo. A crate one is 9,000 bucks.

I don't think you can take the crate price. What is the crate price of 1.5 Turbo for example?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
2.0 Turbo is a pricey mofo. A crate one is 9,000 bucks.

I don't think you can take the crate price. What is the crate price of 1.5 Turbo for example?

I was just saying it is more expensive to make. I am not sure how much it is an option on the Equinox, but it more pricey than a lot of the high HP small blocks.
I know it cost more to make than the 1.5 or the 1.6 turbo.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
And then the very $$$ injector pump is due for replacement. The mighty Diesels Achilles heel!

Almost all diesels built in the last 10 years are common rail, and don't have injector pumps.

Gas will be near 4 bucks a Gal. again in a Year.

Or Not
smile.gif

Economics aside, I hope GM has adequate support for supplying parts for a while. Years ago my folks had an '83 GMC van with the 6.2 diesel. Many parts were different from the gas version, and documentation was poor, even among GM dealers. Some auto part stores didn't even list the 6.2 diesel as an option for the van, so finding parts was tricky; even GM dealers had trouble finding the right parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back