Honda Accord P1009

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 4 cylinder Honda Accord with 98.000 miles is throwing the following codes:

VTC Advance Malfunction P1009

Misfires - P0301, P0302, P0303, P0300

A bit of research shows that the VTC strainer and VTC oil control valve can be problematic on these vehicles. Oil level is fine and the oil is in good shape. Typically run PP 0W20/Fram Ultra and change based on the OLM (about 5,000-6,000 mi). The job doesn’t look to bad but I’m wondering since I will have to take everything apart to test the components that I might as well replace them too. What do you think? This may save me a repeat effort down the road. Is the VTC valve an OEM part or is an aftermarket part suitable in this application? Now suppose the VTC system checks out OK - what else could be causing so many misfire codes to come up all at once. Once again thanks for all your help.

With those codes the valve is almost guaranteed shot. Bench testing the valve is a fools errand in my experience, it works fine cold and test good its when it gets hot after about 10 min it breaks down.

If you have the coin to spare, I recommend changing the valve with a OEM one.

My son's Accord had the same problem at just a little over 100K miles. We cleaned it and got maybe another 20K miles before the code came back. Replaced it with a new OEM valve and was still running strong another 80K+ miles when he eventually sold it.

Usually just the strainer that gets clogged, isnt it?
The reason for Subaru high bypass spec on filters as the banjo fitting contained strainers that clogged.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What is the year of this Honda Accord ?

2008 with PZEV

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

My son's Accord had the same problem at just a little over 100K miles. We cleaned it and got maybe another 20K miles before the code came back. Replaced it with a new OEM valve and was still running strong another 80K+ miles when he eventually sold it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm strongly leaning towards the Honda part. There are two part numbers and I'm trying to figure out if there is actually any difference between the two for my application.

Originally Posted By: greasegunn

Thanks for the feedback. I'm strongly leaning towards the Honda part. There are two part numbers and I'm trying to figure out if there is actually any difference between the two for my application.

Did you run into any unexpected problems when you replaced the valve?

No problems per-say, just getting access was bit of a pain as we had to move the power steering pump out of the way.

No problems per-say, just getting access was bit of a pain as we had to move the power steering pump out of the way.

Thanks. After looking at this job it looks like there is more work involved in getting to the part than in the actual removal and replacement of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back