04 F250 5.4L 158,000mi on spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Had to take home a company truck 2004 Ford F250 with the 5.4L 2v and 6 speed manual transmission and right off the bat it would shudder so bad and lose power under certain speed and engine load. Poor throttle response when you stab the pedal to the floor, etc. Connected the scanguage to pull codes and one of them was a P0306. Since this is a company truck I am not allowed to perform any of my own maintenance but wanted to see if just changing out that one spark plug solves the power issues. The truck has 158,000mi on it and and I'm assuming this is the original single platinum spark plug from cyl 5 and 6. Company owner says he will bring the truck in for service but who knows when.

Spark plug 5 on the top, 6 on the bottom:
vFHRNWu.jpg

ViXC6sN.jpg

#6 and #5
gNDCgpC.jpg

Hadn't had the chance to drive it around. Throttle response seems to be better when stabbing the throttle to the floor.

You are taking a risk working on someone's vehicle without their permission. What if one of the plugs pulled the threads out the head when it was removed?

I understand you have good intentions but others may not see it that way. Be careful.

The company truck I am driving right now a 2005 Ford F150 with a 4.6 has 233,678 miles on it and I am pretty sure it's the original spark plugs and ATF. Company trucks at this company usually don't get any other maintenance other than oil changes, tire rotation and air cleaners. The fact that it probably idles 4-5 hours a a day. It runs good yet. Getting a little tired on take off but it's only 4.6.
Uses no oil between oil changes.

Those may not be what was installed at the factory. I thought the Motorcraft agsf22wm was a replacement for AWSF22E?

More threads on the newer plug. Anyhow I believe plugs from the factory have some blue paint on the terminal indicating such. At least mine did.

Keep in mind also that the COP boots can and will deteriorate and cause a misfire. My old 2001 F150 bucked under load when this happened also. My plugs were fine, it was a boot.

When I changed the plugs on my Fusion @215,000 miles, what I found was the factory plugs.. and they were not Motorcraft. They were 'FoMoCo' plugs.

I verified with the local Ford service manager, too. The dead giveaway was the teal-ish dots of paint on the top of each plug... plus the 'FoMoCo' on the side. What you pulled out look like standard aftermarket Motorcraft plugs.

Barring an unseen crack or other deformity in the plug, I'd say either a coil or the coil boot.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
When I changed the plugs on my Fusion @215,000 miles, what I found was the factory plugs.. and they were not Motorcraft. They were 'FoMoCo' plugs.

I verified with the local Ford service manager, too. The dead giveaway was the teal-ish dots of paint on the top of each plug... plus the 'FoMoCo' on the side. What you pulled out look like standard aftermarket Motorcraft plugs.
So there may be some shady opportunity for business selling these plugs on the black market - complete with labeling AND the QC inspector's dab of paint. The paint is there usually to ensure that someone or something did a final check to verify torque values.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back