abs not working correctly 97 explorer 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Hi Bitogers I have a problem with my abs system, maybe you guys can help me with... with all the fuses in and no light on dash comes on (no codes) go down the road, brakes work as they should, but just before I get to a complete stop the pedal will go to the floor and a groan noise from power booster...I can feel a vibration in the pedal when it does this...Doesn't do it all the time, about 3 out of ten times ...I've replaced the rear speed sensor that mounts on top the differential, I took off the two front speed sensors and cleaned them.. still does the same thing...Im running it now with the abs fuses out, and the brakes work as they should, the only problem is abs light is on now, and it'll probably lock up on ice... not too worried about the ice driving, since the 70's had lots of cars without abs, just that stupid light bugs me, plus I would want it to work as it should...Anyone have any Ideas... Thanks

What is the condition of your brake linings? I had exactly your symptoms in a Ranger that needed rear drums and shoes.

the rotors and pads fairly new about 10k on them, linings? you may have something, do you think the front hoses could be stretched, they all look okay but who knows...still why would they work okay with the fuses out...doubt theres a way to check them
21.gif

My father had the exact same situation on his Expedition. Ended up being a baffed wheel speed sensor. Put a scanner on it and monitor them. Which one is buggered up will be readily apparent when you recreate the issue.

You may have a bad front wheel speed sensor, cleaning it does nothing for it if its not reading correctly. Put a scan tool on it and see what the readings are for L/R. I had a 99 ranger do this on me.

the above posters are correct..one of the speed sensors are dropping out right before you come to a stop, making the abs module think a wheel is locking up.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Does it have drums or discs in the rear?

I am 99% sure those were all rear disc, the only shoes were for parking brakes.

Your right ,It does have rear disc brakes, shoes for parking...you guys are probably right one of the front sensors is probably messed up but witch one...the bearings are still okay no noise or movement, I dont want to throw parts at it $ , I dont have a scan tool for abs, just have a cheap code reader...whats a good and cheap scan tool that would do the job...Seems like the older I get the more I need speciallty tools and the less i'll use them afterwards...
confused2.gif

Disconnect the wheel sensor connector. DVOM across the sensor's pins. Ohm sensor...record it.
Set DVOM to voltage....spin wheel...record voltage. Lowest voltage of the two....not good.
Set DVOM to Hz......spin wheel...record Hz. Look for drop outs or fluctuation.

Having a scan tool with ABS PIDS is great. You can see what the ABS module sees, but you have to make due with what you got. Don't know why there is no code.

Since you have a hard fault, I wouldn't waste time checking the tone rings.....unless you actually have a damaged sensor. On second thought, check your tone rings. If they are cast, check for tiny cracks at the base of the teeth, stamped-check for a bent section. Nothing worse than throwing on a new sensor, and then finding out in addition to a bad sensor the tone ring is cracked/bent.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Your right ,It does have rear disc brakes, shoes for parking...you guys are probably right one of the front sensors is probably messed up but witch one...the bearings are still okay no noise or movement, I dont want to throw parts at it $ , I dont have a scan tool for abs, just have a cheap code reader...whats a good and cheap scan tool that would do the job...Seems like the older I get the more I need speciallty tools and the less i'll use them afterwards...
confused2.gif

Are you familiar with FORScan?

http://forscan.org/home.html

Have a second person drive while you watch a data list of all ABS pids

You should see your problem, if it's ABS related

Had the same symptoms on an '03 F150 - and it was a bad front wheel speed sensor. You will need a scanner that can tell you which channel is flakey. It won't set an ABS code.

And my '97 Explorer was rear discs with parking brake drum setup.

the front wheel bearings are probably on their way out. its bearing/hub unit with the sensor included.

my 98 was doing the same thing but AWD i took the hubs off and you could barely turn the bearings by hand.

turns out once the bearings start to go the metal shavings go into the grease causing the sensor not to read the tone wheel very well and thats why the abs does screwy things without hitting the brake hard or locking up the wheels it would kick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back