Upgraded the Deere 212 to a Deere 316

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snagged a Deere 316 at a good price off Craigslist.

its a 1984 with the b43e(16hp 2cyl onan with points ignition), has the 50" deep mowing deck.

Runs great.. this is the best idling onan out of the 3 in the family (another 316 and a 318)

Starts easy, very smooth power/throttle. Hydro works correctly, no creep
Deck seems to have almost new bearings, new battery, 3 hours on the transmission(hydro) fluid.

Needs a deck wheel mount welded, the deck height stop adjusted down .75" or so.. and a few a fuel shutoff installed, some paint this winter

All in all pretty "Swank"

Very nice! I am amazed some guys buy the big box store junk when good, quality machine's like this are easily available for the same or even less money. I sold my trusted 210 and 212 earlier this spring and bought a 1996 John Deere GT275.

Nice machine! I missed a good deal on a mint condition 318 just this weekend. Shopping around for John Deere - The proper term is Deere hunting!

Originally Posted By: AMC
Nice machine! I missed a good deal on a mint condition 318 just this weekend. Shopping around for John Deere - The proper term is Deere hunting!

if you get a 318 make sure to get it fully warmed up if possible and check the power steering for leaks.

They are very pricy and "laborious" to repair.
The parts diagram looks like the inside of a car's automatic transmission

one of the reasons I preferred the 316. Since I dont plan on needing the extra hydraulics for accessories.

316 vs 318 you are giving up.
0-2hp depending on year
independent rear brakes (2 pedals)
a hydraulic spool/outlet
power steering.
Rear PTO

I paid $1150 I would expect $1000-$2000 depending on condition and year.. a late model with the p218g is slightly more desirable.. but condition is everything.

For 318 I'd expect to pay $1500-$2500 for something in useable condition. Maybe $3000 if it came with a full set of weights, chains, mint condition.

Rand - Thanks for the info.

I was hoping to find a good deal on a 318 to mow and plow snow with so the power steering would be nice. I will take a 316 if I can find one though. There are a few 317's near me but they are asking too much.

I did find a good deal on a Cub Cadet 2518 but I know nothing about the older cubs and I would have to start my researching all over again.... Not sure if I want to bother.

I did find a good deal on a Cub Cadet 2518 but I know nothing about the older cubs and I would have to start my researching all over again.... Not sure if I want to bother.

I love the older Cubs but they can be harder to find certain parts for, especially for models that weren't as popular or were only made for a year or two. The Deere definitely has a superior parts network, you can still get almost anything for tractors going back to the 1960s. Not to mention parts for the attachments as well as additional attachments are easier to find.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I love the older Cubs but they can be harder to find certain parts for, especially for models that weren't as popular or were only made for a year or two. The Deere definitely has a superior parts network, you can still get almost anything for tractors going back to the 1960s. Not to mention parts for the attachments as well as additional attachments are easier to find.

That is what I figured. The parts availability of the John Deere brand is one of the main reasons I like them so much and don't mind buying them used.

I also found quite a few good deals on Wheel Horse lawn tractors and but I am guessing those are harder to find parts for too.

Rand -
I was hoping to find a good deal on a 318 to mow and plow snow with so the power steering would be nice. I will take a 316 if I can find one though. There are a few 317's near me but they are asking too much.

317 is a totally different animal not related to the other 300 series.

IIRC:
if you want full power blade(lift+angle) you want a 318(2-cyl air cooled onan), 322 Liquid cooled (3 cyl yanmar gas), 332(3-cyl yanmar diesel) in the 300 series.

Both are sort of rare vs the 318
That is if you want both hydraulics for power angle and lift.
They also sell the model 54 blade with single hydraulics and manual angle which would work on 316, 318,322,332 but if you are getting anything except a 316 go for the double hydraulics model.

You probably already know if you are using it on snow you will definitely need full chains at a min.. and some weights are also a good idea even on flat ground.

I also found quite a few good deals on Wheel Horse lawn tractors and but I am guessing those are harder to find parts for too.

Wheel Horse tractors are good machines also, but yes the parts are tough. They can often be found at Toro dealers, but the prices are surprisingly expensive, more expensive than John Deere. They also aren't made anymore, so parts will only become harder to find and more expensive.

Great find! Even the rubber looks great yet. Those old flat-lead horizontally opposed Onans sound cool and are yet quiet in JD packaging. I've seen them with crazy hours on them. A little fuel thirsty though.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Great find! Even the rubber looks great yet. Those old flat-lead horizontally opposed Onans sound cool and are yet quiet in JD packaging. I've seen them with crazy hours on them. A little fuel thirsty though.

Fuel thirsty compared to a $8000 zero turn.. yes.

but I dont mow for 40 hours a week either.

This one will see about 25-40hours per year at my house and maybe some backup duty at the farm if we have to repair the 316 or 850 mowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back