NAPA GOLD 7045 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was in service for 10,000 miles exactly. Two 5k runs on Valvoline Synpower 5w30. Vehicle is brothers new work vehicle or a 2015 GMC TERRAIN. I'd love to smack the idiot that decided to build the vehicle around the engine!

Damage is due to me as it took filter pliers to get filter off. Put a FU 10060 back on with Synpower 5w30 from the stash. Vehicle has 60k on it

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
did you damage the media?

He mentions that in his 2nd paragraph.

Looks good otherwise!

Looks like a rebadged QB. Filter
smile.gif

Thanks Adam.

I always use a band filter wrench when taking filters off those cramped 3.6 GM engines, whether it be in a Terrain, Acadia, Equinox, etc. I use the band wrench for 99% of the filters I take off, various sizes of course. Filters pliers or the cup wrench you put on a ratchet.....NEVER. I find the band is alot easier and quicker.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
smile.gif

Thanks Adam.

Not sure what QB is. NAPA Gold is the same as Wix, but you probably know that.

I reckon QB = Quantum Blue
28.gif

I bought a number of CQ 84502 (NG 7502 equivalents) from Rockauto cheap for my wife's Mustang, most were WIX / Affinia, one is Frampion.

This is another dome end bypass design from Wix. Kinda odd our two vehicles in our family fleet take 7502 / 57502 / 85502 and 7899 / 57899 / 84899 which are both dome end bypass design in Wix manufacture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I always use a band filter wrench when taking filters off those cramped 3.6 GM engines, whether it be in a Terrain, Acadia, Equinox, etc. I use the band wrench for 99% of the filters I take off, various sizes of course. Filters pliers or the cup wrench you put on a ratchet.....NEVER. I find the band is alot easier and quicker.

Good luck
smile.gif

The filter was almost butted up against the cooling fan so band wrench doesn't help a bit

My pliers were $5 at Harbor Freight so I use them on Terrains instead of burning my skin off

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima

Good luck
smile.gif

The filter was almost butted up against the cooling fan so band wrench doesn't help a bit

My pliers were $5 at Harbor Freight so I use them on Terrains instead of burning my skin off

I have a few mowers like this. Half the time you dent the can struggling to get the darn things off. No room!

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I reckon QB = Quantum Blue
28.gif

I bought a number of CQ 84502 (NG 7502 equivalents) from Rockauto cheap for my wife's Mustang, most were WIX / Affinia, one is Frampion.

This is another dome end bypass design from Wix. Kinda odd our two vehicles in our family fleet take 7502 / 57502 / 85502 and 7899 / 57899 / 84899 which are both dome end bypass design in Wix manufacture.

It was humor but you win.... Correct!

Quote:
smile.gif

Indeed. This badge costing ~$7 less than the QB badge, everyday price. Not as fancy or as many bright colors on the NAPA badge though.
56.gif

This application one of the applications using dome bypass. Removal damage aside, looks like the filter did it's job for the 10k mile oci/fci.

car51 piqued my interest when he noted the lousy filter location, so thought I'd look it up. Didn't find a youtube/video but found an excellent DIY by Paul's Travel Pictures for the 3.6L engine. As an aside, Paul's Travel Pictures does excellent DIY pages on oil/filter changes for many vehicles.

Don't know if it's as bad as the 2013 Escape 1.6L Ecoboost, perhaps. Looks like a pita nonetheless.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GMC-Terrain-LFX-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

Oil Filter Location

Reach from above.

Filter removal

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
smile.gif

Indeed. This badge costing ~$7 less than the QB badge, everyday price. Not as fancy or as many bright colors on the NAPA badge though.
56.gif

This application one of the applications using dome bypass. Removal damage aside, looks like the filter did it's job for the 10k mile oci/fci.

car51 piqued my interest when he noted the lousy filter location, so thought I'd look it up. Didn't find a youtube/video but found an excellent DIY by Paul's Travel Pictures for the 3.6L engine. As an aside, Paul's Travel Pictures does excellent DIY pages on oil/filter changes for many vehicles.

Don't know if it's as bad as the 2013 Escape 1.6L Ecoboost, perhaps. Looks like a pita nonetheless.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GMC-Terrain-LFX-V6-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

Oil Filter Location

Reach from above.

Filter removal

Thanks for c&p.

Refilled with SuperTech conventional on a Dexos application? Meh.

Quote:
Valvoline Synpower 5w30

I believe the objection/notation was to the maker of the Paul's Travel Pic site using ST conventional. Though clearly 'imo' that wasn't the 'primary point' of posting the oil and filter diy. Showing what 51 had to deal with was. And unlike where the link specifically endorses using the Lisle 63600 cam action cap wrench and an M1 filter using hot links, no such endorsement for ST oil. The hot link for the oil is SAE 5w-30 in general, and hopefully one can read their owners manual for specific spec.

That said, using Super Tech Conventional for ~5k mile ocis, that engine will be toast well before the rest of the parts and pieces on the vehicle are done.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back