Worth it to convert to dot 4 lv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth it to convert to dot 4 lv? Would be in my F150 and the wife's newer explorer sport. Seems like it would be good in Michigan winter but would it really matter? Other than price, what are the drawbacks?

I should have added in my opinion, it's easier on the pump utilizing a lower viscosity fluid than a thicker fluid.

Well it depends what you have...

If only basic ABS then DOT4 is enough...

If you have other candies as ASR....TCS...then you need DOT4 LV to support them (better response)

It certainly won't harm anything! Plus, you do get the higher boiling points of DOT 4 vs DOT 3, which makes it worth the extra $5
smile.gif

Only drawback is that Dot 4 is more hygroscopic than Dot 3. Mercedes uses Super Dot 4 and recommends brake fluid flushes every 2 years. Dot 3 can go for longer.

I've heard that the LV stuff gives a better brake pedal feel at lower temps. If you change the fluid every other year, it should be fine.

I say give it a shot. Worst case, you're out the $20 for the fluid and an hour of your time.

Mine is dot 3. Dot 4 is compatible. I haven't changed because it's miserably hot here right now and I've already changed the fluid this year.

If dot 4LV would improve anti-lock and traction control performance I'll give it a go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back