Hyundai Tucson 2.0 non turbo recommended oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I just purchased a 2016 Hyundai Tucson non turbo, I was looking on the owner manual and the oil suggested is 5W-20 but also 5W-30 can be used, my question is if conventional, semi synthetic or full synthetic should be used, owner's manual does tell me which one. Would you suggest brand and OCI please? The manual says to change my oil every 7500 miles but I don't know if they refer to conventional oil.

Thanks for any help!

Qsud 5w30 is what i wud choose for florida.
Walmart plus rebate from qs and u are looking at 5 quarts for 13 bucks or so.
Oil change 5k to 7k.
Me i wud do it at 5k.

Last edited:
Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 every 3000 miles.
27.gif

My dealership uses Valvoline Premium Conventional for regular oil change. I am severe service and change oil every 3,750 miles for warranty purposes. I did put Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in my Elantra, just because I needed to use it up. Works well. Fuel economy is about same. Engine is smooth. If you are doing 7,500 mile interval I would use synthetic.

It doesn't matter if it's Florida or Maine, I would use M1 0-20AFE or EP. I have used AFE for several years with great success at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Monky
synthetic blend or full synthetic?

Thanks,

Castrol Magnatec 5w30. It is full syn and only $17.88/5 qt jug at WM.

See my signature. I generally use Synthetic or a synthetic blend every 5K in my Hyundai's and KIA's. I also service a friends Hyundai and my daughters Hyundai. The non turbo's are pretty easy on oil (even my KIA's DI Engine seems to be.) I could probably easily go 7.5K but 5K is easy to remember.

Originally Posted By: Monky
synthetic blend or full synthetic?

Thanks,
Those are advertising terms - close meaningless.

Most all passenger cars motor oil is "Semi-synthetic" to meet ILSAC GF5.

Most "Fully Synthetic Oil" is NOT synthetic oil. ( Shell has bucked this trend a bit with majority base GTL oils, I havent thoroughly studied or understood why the product is considered group III and not group V. I recall the VI and sulfur % is beyond the upper margin of Group III.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Most "Fully Synthetic Oil" is NOT synthetic oil. ( Shell has bucked this trend a bit with majority base GTL oils, I havent thoroughly studied or understood why the product is considered group III and not group V. I recall the VI and sulfur % is beyond the upper margin of Group III.

Then you don't understand what the Group designations mean. How is GTL different than any other hydrocracked lubricant in terms of Group designation? It isn't. There's no upper limit to the VI of a Group III oil.

With a maximum of 7500 mile intervals, so long as you conform to mfr specs and said oci, you won't go wrong. Taking a glance at the containers/online literature of many major oil brands, you will read that they mention the product is actually a synthetic blend. If you want to sleep better at night, go with any major brand full synthetic. Bitog is an over-thinker's haven for oil (me included). Welcome to the party.
wink.gif

Castrol
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/3C78E248DD0A721780258035006BCAC8/$File/BPXE-A8DJRH.pdf

Valvoline
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...10-ac162d889bd3

Havoline
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=310594&docFormat=PDF

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Then you don't understand what the Group designations mean. How is GTL different than any other hydrocracked lubricant in terms of Group designation? It isn't. There's no upper limit to the VI of a Group III oil.

Lol, semantics. Yes, GTL should be (and is) considered a Group III because of the way it is derived. But kschacn is probably trying to say that GTL base oil is better in quality than the rest of the Group III oils. I don't know enough to say whether or not it is comparable in quality to either PAO (IV) or Ester (V) base oils, but it could very well be.

One of our vehicles is a Hyundai Tucson also, but a 2010 w/2.4L
Although the fill cap has 5w-20 and the book recommends Quaker State (Doesn't say synthetic or conventional), I been using PYB 5w-30 since around mid 55k. It's coming up to 133k now. Been 5k OCIs & OEM filters.
If I recall correctly, the book did say 5w-30 can be used. We get triple digit temps here.
I've thought of going to a synthetic or a HM (MaxLife) but haven't been able to pull myself to doing that, yet. Had also thought of trying MagnaTec lately.
Before the switch, with the 5w-20, in 5k the usage was less 1/4 of a quart. Now it's less, just about to fall below the full line @ 5k. I think that's why I have stuck to the PYB 5w-30 as long as I have.

I would not run 5W-20 in that 2.0 Turbo. Any good 5W-30 Synthetic with 5K to 6K change would be good. I use the OEM Filters or the FRAMM Ultra Synthetic. I have a 2011 Sonata Turbo and I have run 0W-40 or 5W-30 Full Synthetic with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Lol, semantics. Yes, GTL should be (and is) considered a Group III because of the way it is derived. But kschacn is probably trying to say that GTL base oil is better in quality than the rest of the Group III oils. I don't know enough to say whether or not it is comparable in quality to either PAO (IV) or Ester (V) base oils, but it could very well be.
Synthesized form Syngas could not be considered group V if saturation, Sulfur and VI meet the category? Group IV is poly-a-olefin exclusively and Group V has been defined as "everything else" . Syngas derived is not a distilled or isomerized petro crud product as are I>III. So what am I missing?

Is this a Variant without a public bathroom?

I had Shell GTL lubricant basestock specs and misplaced them a couple years ago.

Seems like shell might be getting a short stick here - or at least in Japon and Bundesrepublik Deutschland - where there exist no "advertising term" allowances for faux synthetics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back