Good idea to change oil filter every 5000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised nobody in this thread has mentioned the obvious caveat yet. It all depends on what the filter media is made of:

Jobber-Tier filters with paper media (i.e. Wix ProTec, NAPA Silver, Microgard, Fram Extra Guard, Purolator Classic, etc.) should be used for no longer than 5,000 to 7,500 miles.

Middle-Tier filters with cellulose/synthetic-blend media (i.e. Wix, NAPA Gold, Fram Tough Guard, Bosch D+, Pure One, etc.) can be used for up to 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

Top-Tier filters with synthetic/glass media (i.e Wix XP, NAPA Platinum, Fram Ultra, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Bosch Long Life, Purolator Boss, etc.) can be used for up to 20,000 miles.

That said, there's no harm being done by replacing a Top-Tier filter early. You can replace a Fram Ultra after half of its expected interval life and you'll only be out of less than $10. But as many have mentioned, a filter will continue to become more efficient the closer it gets to its full capacity, but the risk of earlier bypass engagement slowly grows as well. On the other hand, it's not a good idea to run a Microgard for longer than its expected interval life, as the risk of tearing increases over time as you near its full capacity.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
... Jobber-Tier filters with paper media (i.e. Wix ProTec, NAPA Silver, Microgard, Fram Extra Guard, Purolator Classic, etc.) should be used for no longer than 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
That's seems over-cautious for engines in good condition. I've run those around 3 times that far and found next-to-nothing visible (typically only a few tiny carbon particles) caught in the media, and the media still in good condition.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
... Jobber-Tier filters with paper media (i.e. Wix ProTec, NAPA Silver, Microgard, Fram Extra Guard, Purolator Classic, etc.) should be used for no longer than 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
That's seems over-cautious for engines in good condition. I've run those around 3 times that far and found next-to-nothing visible (typically only a few tiny carbon particles) caught in the media, and the media still in good condition.

The problem in this thread, as with most, is the non-specific nature of most questions (and answers).

For example, some OEMs actually recommend FCIs every other OCI. Honda, Mitsubishi and others do it. In my daughter's older Galant, the normal OCI is 7.5k miles. The FCI is 2x the OCI. Hence a "normal" filter can be used for 15k miles. Yes - you read that right. And most all filter makers will support the use of their product for the OEM FCI. Some folks cringe at this thought; they are preprogrammed to think that "more" is always "better"; it's the American way. But I've run FCI to 3x or 5x the OEM FCI, and UOA data showed no ill effect whatsoever. My old Villager with Nissan VG30E engine had a "severe" service factor of 3k miles for oil/filter. But I ran ST dino oil and a MC filter for 10k and 15k miles. UOAs came back fine. Pulled the valve cover to check for sludge and other untoward heinous effects; never materialized.

So there are times when a "jobber" filter could easily be expected to go 15k miles, and both the OEM and filter maker will warrant the use.
There are times when, no matter what filter is used, the OEM and filter maker will only warrant a filter for 5k miles, despite the use of a "top tier" filter. Using an Ultra on a Nissan (recent example of another recent thread here on BITOG) still only shows a 5k mile OFCI, and the Fram statement of warranty specifically limits the application to OEM defined limits. So there is ZERO benefit to using a "top tier" filter when you junk it in 5k miles. NEVER confuse "cheap insurance" with assured waste.

So the example extremes are that using a "normal" OCOD Fram would be warranted for use out to 15k miles on my old Galant 2.4L.
But using a Fram Ultra on some applications would be limited to 3k miles for "severe" service in my wife's Villager (Nissan),depsite that the filter is 15k mile rated.
This is because, almost always, the filter maker tailors their FCI to mimic the OEM service limit for the purposes of warranty inclusion.

Again - much better to talk specifics because generalities are often taken out of context. It's easier to be "generic" in answers; I do it as well. But it can be misleading.

Most any application I've ever seen in UOA data was never served or proven to be "better" by using top-tier products, when the OEM limits are in play. Once you progress OUTSIDE OEM limits, then top tier products may well provide more service. But even "normal" (jobber) products will last a LOT longer than most folks want to believe.

I will note that when we've seen "failures" in filters posted here, they are often at "normal" OFCI intervals. Hence, the failure didn't come from abuse as defined by the OEM service limit. We've seen media tears and misaligned ADBVs, etc. But most all the failures had nothing to do with OFCI duration. They are most typically production mistakes and not failures due to service factor. Torn media is often a factor of compromised structure PRIOR to use on the engine. A weak spot was predisposed to failure, (or a void already existed). The rupture probably happened sooner versus later. We have ZERO ability to know WHEN a media failure happens, but it's much more likely that they are at the front end of the FCI. Hence, filters that are going to fail, are going to fail regardless how soon they are used or long they are used. Filters that are likely to last a long time, will do so despite a "long" interval.

Now, some folks would say that this risk is a good reason to FCI often, so that filters are not stressed. But again, the failure mode often has little to do with the duration of use. And therefore frequent FCIs multiplies the potential to induce a bad filter more often!
- the risk of using a filter a long time is that you may induce more "damage" from using a torn filter longer
- the risk of frequent FCIs is inducing a failure more often; as a percentage of total filters used over a lifetime

Hence, it's a moot point. We have NO ABILITY to know if a filter is torn while in use. We only know AFTER the fact.

Jobber filters have every bit as much of a chance of success as any other filter. The failure modes are not so much a result of poor design as they are of poor manufacture, and that can happen to anything.

Last edited:
dnewton3,

Wix themselves specifically state that ProTecs/Microgards should only be used for 5,000 miles. So while you have a point in that the Fram Extra Guard has a guarantee to last OEM OCIs/OFCIs, Wix jobber filters do not. Furthermore, it isn't logical to run a Fram Extra Guard or any other jobber for 15,000 miles when there are other (Top-Tier) filters specifically made and meant for longer intervals. But, I digress.

I like to see where a manufacturer states their product does not meet the requirements as stated in the owner's manual. Many corps try to sell more filters by saying things like "up to" or "recommended" to 5,000 miles but if you read the fine print, the warranty or guarantee states it meets OEM requirements.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I like to see where a manufacturer states their product does not meet the requirements as stated in the owner's manual. Many corps try to sell more filters by saying things like "up to" or "recommended" to 5,000 miles but if you read the fine print, the warranty or guarantee states it meets OEM requirements.

NAPA Pro Select
Important Information: Oil Drain Intervals Of Up To 5000 Miles / 8000 Kilometers

NAPA Silver
Important Information: Oil Drain Intervals Of Up To 5000 Miles / 8000 Kilometers

NAPA Gold
Important Information: Manufacturer OE Recommended Oil Change Intervals

Microgard
Recommended for traditional oil and filter change intervals, typically 3,000 to 5,000 miles

Information is available.

^^^ But what does thier formal warranty statement say? That's where it usually states that the filter can be used per what the vehicle manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Zee, I could not find the warranty statement first time around. I tried both NAPA Online and NAPA Filters.

Pay dirt:
NAPA Warranty
It seems the warranty may prevail.

Seems the official warranty statement only really covers "defects and failures", but doesn't specifically mention recommended use intervals, which are probably set by the filter manufacture as a way to cover themselves in worst case scenarios.

But the warranty statement does imply that the filter can be expected to be used per the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule since it's covered for that use duration.

On my DD (Hyundai 2.4L) I change oil (PYB 5w-30) and filter (OEM) every 5k
It's easy to do, easy to remember, doesn't take a lot of time or cost a lot. Main thing is easy to remember without going to look into records.
I think book says 3750 severe service, 7500 normal service.

There are some caveats and requirements in the Napa warranty that would make it useless IMO. Like abuse and neglect of the filter. You have to send in the unaltered filter and if they find it's dirty, you are out of luck. Another is you have to use the filter recommended by them. Oversize it, out of luck.

The other file about the aftermarket filters makes it clear a lot, almost all, use is severe use. So that kills a lot of the projected extended intervals most people plan.

This is where the understanding of the M/M Warranty Act needs to come into play.

A "written limited warranty" is typically in effect for nearly all products in the US. If that does not exist, the "implied" warranty considerations kick in.

Wix, Fram, Napa, Purolator, Baldwin/Hastings, etc ... They ALL have "written limited warranties". That statement is a legally binding obligation of the product maker (here we're discussing filters, but it applies to ANY product that induces coverage under M/M).
These "written limited warranty" statements take any/all precedence over some marketing mumbo-jumbo.

Just about every filter maker I've seen specifically states that the filters are warranted for up to the OEM's stated effect.

In my exmaples, the following is true:
- The 2.4L Galant shows an FCI in "normal" use for 2x the OCI, which is 7.5k miles. Hence the filter FCI is 15k miles. Even for a Fram EG. If you followed this, Fram would be bound to provide full warranty assistance should a problem develop.
- However, the OFCI for some recent Nissan engines is 5k miles, total. So even a Fram Ultra would be expected to be pulled off at 5k miles. If you ran it longer, they would have a very good reason to deny/delay warranty claims.

BTW - this also applies to most any lubricant as well. The oil companies have VERY similar statements.
There are times the companies will offer an extension past the OEM equipment maker; there are times they will not.

Some companies offer modified written warranties due to specific promotional gaurantees, such as Valvoline and Rotella, where you "register" but MUST use their products in a specific manner, and then you get warranty past the OEM maker's warranty. These are very detailed and not the typical standard. Usually only apply to the engine lubes and not the full product line.

READ, LEARN, KNOW the M/M act!
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law
I cannot stress this enough ...
READ, LEARN, KNOW the M/M act!
Did I mention you should read this link, learn the info, and understand it to know about warranties?

Warranty examples:
http://www.napafilters.com/wp-content/uploads/NAPA-Warranty-Global-English-Rev-06-16.pdf
http://wixfilters.com/warranty/doc/Wix_US_English.pdf
http://pureoil.com/6131/?L=0
http://www.baldwinfilter.com/Literature/English/7 Warranties_Certs/form116.pdf
http://www.fram.com/media/7096/warranty_0.pdf

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1699467pdf?$PDF$
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-super-oil-warranty
http://www.havoline.com/en-US/products/havoline-warranty.html

Last edited:
Dave,

1. Thanks for relating the manufacturers' warranties to the M/M Warranty Act. This eliminates confusion along these lines. You are a quintessential researcher.

2. Using the example 2.4L Galant application, what is NAPA Online trying to do or communicate with the statements on their site
"Important Info : Oil Drain Intervals Of Up To 5000 Miles / 8000 Kilometers" and how does this relate to the limited warranty? Are they trying to limit an implied warranty?

Thanks again.

I think the filter manuf. warranties, all of them, are useless in practice. If someone lives in the Midwest, they are under severe service, not normal service for part of the year. Gets too cold. Drive in heavy traffic? Stop and go? Severe service. Hot weather, it's severe service. ETC ETC, Neglect the filter and it gets dirty, too bad for you. You won't be able to tell because you can't open it. Have to send an undamaged unaltered filter to the manuf. They open it. Filter gets a dent while taking it off, abuse, too bad for you. Then you have to have various documentation sent with the filter. Things few people keep. Seems a total bunch of nonsense to me, the warranty.

The only reasonable method, to me, is to cut your filters open and if they are clean it's ok to run them longer, if not, run shorter.

This is what the Filter Manufacturers Council article, linked above, says:

"Service intervals or service indicators are utilized by engine manufacturers to efficiently protect the engine. Several factors are considered in making service interval recommendations. These factors include oil breakdown, temperature, driving habits and environment conditions. A vehicle driven 60 mph (100km/h) during long trips on the highway in 75°F (24°C) weather may sustain much longer service intervals than the same vehicle operated in stop and go conditions or in heavy load conditions.
Some automotive manufacturers specify two different service intervals, one for "Normal" driving conditions and one for "Severe" driving conditions. The intervals for "Normal" driving conditions average 6,000 miles (10,000 km), while the intervals recommended for "Severe" driving conditions average 3,000 miles (5,000 km). In reality "Normal" driving conditions are very uncommon. The majority of automotive vehicles today are operated in conditions that warrant the use of "Severe" driving condition service intervals as defined by the vehicle manufacturer (TSB-94-1). Such conditions would include any one of the following: operation in temperatures below 50°F (10°C), short trips, stop-and-go driving, trailer towing or dusty conditions. Therefore, most consumers qualify for the "Severe" driving conditions and should use 3,000 mile (5,000 km) service intervals to best maintain their vehicle."

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Dave,

1. Thanks for relating the manufacturers' warranties to the M/M Warranty Act. This eliminates confusion along these lines. You are a quintessential researcher.

2. Using the example 2.4L Galant application, what is NAPA Online trying to do or communicate with the statements on their site
"Important Info : Oil Drain Intervals Of Up To 5000 Miles / 8000 Kilometers" and how does this relate to the limited warranty? Are they trying to limit an implied warranty?

Thanks again.

Again - first thing to understand is the M/M warranty act.

All warranties are implied unless otherwise stated. They (Napa) are not "trying" to limit an implied warranty.
They are replacing an implied warranty with a written limited warranty.
The distinction is that you don't limit an implied warranty. It is wholly superseded if a written warranty is in place.
When the written warranty specifically disclaims, voids or otherwise discounts the "implied" warranty, it becomes the controlling entity.
So, companies most always make written warranty statements to supersede implied statements. So any marketing garbage you read is null and void once the written statement is in effect. Once written, it can either be "full" or "limited". Most all companies do "written limited warranties".

The conditions are clearly stated on the Napa warranty:
NAPA Filters warrants each NAPA filter to be free from defects in material and workmanship during the period of service life recommended by the engine or equipment manufacturer. (underline my emphasis)
No mention whatsoever of any mileage limit. Whatever the OEM equipment manufacturer recommends is the service life of the filter.
For the Galant, it's 2x the OCI; i.e. 15k miles for normal service. Does not state what filter (pro select, silver, gold). Does not matter. For it to matter, they would have to state it as so in the warranty if they wanted to delineate the warranty by specific product. But they don't, so we don't have to either!

Note: the Wix filter warranty statement is very similar. Wanna guess why? ....
MANN+HUMMEL Filtration Technology US LLC warrants each WIX filter to be free from defects in material and workmanship during the period of service life recommended by the engine or equipment manufacturer.

There is nothing stopping any company from putting out marketing info (more appropriately innuendo) that makes the uninformed believe something that isn't true.

There are a few companies that are willing to stick their neck out a bit further, such as the Mobil oil warranty. Where they state you can use their oils (for this example I'll pick the dino Super) for 5,000 miles or the OEM limit, whichever is LONGER!!!!! But, they also state that one must adhere to the OEM recommendations, so if "severe" use results in 3k mile limits from the OEM, then it would be an interesting conversation to try and make them live up to their 5k mile advice. Good luck with that in arbitration.

Ever check out the Valvoline Engine Guarantee? It's different from their overall lube warranty. The specific Engine Guarantee warranty mandates that one change oil/filter every 4k miles. Does not matter if you use dino or syn, the OFCI requirement are all the same! Read it; very interesting (and limiting). You have to "register" and follow strict protocol. And the failure, should the unlikely happen, still has to be lube related, or they still won't pay!

I chuckle at some of these new filter marketing statements. Fram Ultra up to 20k miles. But the secret is that it would only be available if the OEM limit was that long. Say, for example, your car had an IOLM, and you could milk it out so 20k miles. Using an Ultra in that sense might be OK. But in theory, even the EG Fram would qualify. Again - the written limited warranty does not distinguish between different models of filters, so they ALL are COVERED under the SAME WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT. The EG, the TG and the FU are all warranted the same. So if the IOLM says go 20k miles, and you have an EG on there, then the EG is covered and so are you! Here is the official Fram warranty:
FRAM filters are warranted against defects in design, materials and workmanship. New vehicle warranties remain in effect when FRAM filters are installed according to directions on FRAM filter packaging and replaced at least as often as vehicle manufacturer’s recommended change intervals.
"Fram filters" is not unique to the Ultra. It's ALL of them, covered under that warranty. So if the IOLM says go 20k miles, and the OEM protocol is to FCI with the OCI, then the filter also, regardless of it's "quality" is also OK for that OCI. Maybe the IOLM only says 12k miles. Or 16k miles. Or 8k miles. Does not matter; that's the OEM limit, and Fram says it's "filters" (non-specific) are OK for that limit. Same goes for fuel filters or air filters. What the OEM determines, is the Fram limit. Period. None of that marketing on the box makes a darn bit of difference. I also find it a bit joyous that Fram takes the time to remind you about the M/M act when it comes to OEM products, but really does a poor job of applying that logic to their OWN products!

I agree with GoodTimes to some degree; severe service is to easily applied. It does become the backdoor "easy way out" for the OEM and aftermarket. Did you start your car and drive it today? Well there's a darn good chance that is "severe". The grand irony I see in marketing is that if you believed every truck commercial on TV, these trucks are indestructible and harder than granite. But by gosh you'd better pamper that engine or they will say you were not appropriately caring for it. If we are to believe what "severe" really means by OEM description, they why in the Hades would I ever buy anything but the cheapest certified lube and least expensive "approved" filter? Why buy an FU and Mobil 1 if "severe" makes me OFCI every 3k miles? THIS IS THE GRAND IRONY I TRY TO GET PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND. There is a TON of reserve capacity (capability) in "normal" products. Even a EG Fram can easily go 5-7k miles. But if you want to believe that you're "severe" in use, why in the blue-blazing Hades would you ever buy an FU? And if you dare to use your FU past "severe" limits, they you must admit openly that the FRAM warranty won't cover you any more than the OEM warranty, because you exceeded the OEM limits of the OFCI! Fram has every right to deny/delay your claim if you're "severe", but dare use the FU to it's stated "20,000" miles when the manual or IOLM states otherwise! DO YOU SEE THE HYPOCRISY HERE??????? There is nearly ZERO reason to ever buy anything more than dino oil and inexpensive filters. The majority of OEM warranties state what the OFCI should be, and every filter maker has the SAME warranty for ALL their filters. ARE YOUR EYES OPEN YET?????
Filter warranties are not delineated by model, so the same coverage applies to ALL of the maker's filters. A EG is every bit as covered as an FU, and an FU has no warranty coverage past an EG. Same goes for Napa silver and gold. Purolator classics and BOSS. Etc, etc, etc.
If your OFCI supports a distance of "X,xxx" miles, then ANY of the filters are covered.
If your OFCI does not support a distance of "Y,yyy miles, then NONE of the filters are covered.
So a premium filter has NOT ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER in terms of warranty coverage over it's lowly counterparts regarding distances.
An FU is no more capable than is an EG in terms of FCIs, because the OEM limits apply to all.

How about the new Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil?
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty
Read this closely:
Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.
Getting dangerously close to the "severe" definition, aren't they?
And they specifically tell you to follow the OEM service interval during the OEM warranty! Why? Because they want the OEM to cover the warranty risk, not Mobil! Read closely! If your ride is under warranty, "you should follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended ..." So, how is it that they offer a "20,000 mile or one year" oil, but they want you to follow the OEM OFCI under the OEM warranty? They just induced their easy way out; if you follow the OEM warranty, then Mobil does not have to warranty anything because the OEM warranty is still in effect! They will pawn you off right back to the OEM. And the OEM is going to ask "Did you follow the OFCI schedule?" Does not matter if you have a 5k mile rated oil or a 20k mile rated oil. Did you follow the OEM schedule?
The dino Mobil super is rated to 5k miles OR the OFCI OEM limit, whichever is longer.
The Mobil 1 AP is rated to 20k miles OR the OFCI OEM limit, but while under OEM warranty you need to follow the OEM limits, so you'll likely NEVER see 20k miles before you see one year. In fact, if you have a car that has a fixed OEM OFCI limit (say 5k or 7k miles), just how much of this Mobil 1 AP "cheap insurance" are you going to waste money on? Even the dino oil will do the OEM limit!

I so vehemently dislike marketing drivel. But, it works because there are a LOT of people who don't understand the M/M act, and don't know how to read or research their own facts. Aftermarket companies sell top-tier products by the bazillions to fools who don't understand what they are buying. You're not only getting the product, but the warranty with that product. The warranty actually protects the maker far, far more than it does the consumer. Without the "written limited warranty" statement, there would be an expectation of unlimited product support. No company can sustain that. So they are allowed to limit their exposure to the product. READ M/M closely! While they can warrant the effects of a failed product if they choose to, they are not obligated to do so! They can legally limit their exposure to ONLY the cost or replacement of the product and NOT the whole item (cover the filter but not the engine!). That would be BAD public relations, but the law is the law. They are only obligated IF they state additional coverage in the written warranty.

THIS IS ABOUT BURDEN OF PROOF AND WARRANTY LIMITS. Read the written statement.
Pay ZERO ATTENTION (nada, zip, zilch, none) to the marketing bovine manure.

Legal written limited warranties rule. You can take 'em to the bank.
Marketing garbage is just that. Never pay any heed to the stupidity you see on the box or hyped up commercials.

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
^^^ Most of these official written filter warranties mention that they will pay for engine damage if the filter is found to be at fault during the vehicle manufacturer's recommended service interval. So an interesting scenario would be if someone ran a low end filter for 2x OCI's, say on a Honda based on the OLM and Honda schedule, but the filter became clogged up for some reason and was in bypass for 1/2 of it's use period and ended up trashing an engine due to lack of proper lubrication.

Per the written warranty, any engine damage would be paid for if the filter was the cause. But I'm betting the filter maker would claim the engine wasn't serviced correctly before using their filter causing the filter to prematurely clog, and therefore the warranty would be void and they wouldn't pay for any engine damage.

There are so many ways for the filter maker to get out of paying for warranty claims unless it's a black & white clear cut filter failure that caused the engine damage.

I still think it is so rare that a filter actually causes engine damage (not improper installation nor application), even the torn Purolators really haven't caused any damage. I bet the filter failure rate, where any damage is actually caused, is an incredibly microscopic number-tiny thousanths of a percent. Not including sticking in-block bypasses, 50K mile OCIs, etc.

Dave,

I believe:
1. The filter manufacturers warranties are designed to limit the manufacturer's liability in the event of a filter failure.

2. It would be next to impossible to prove a faulty filter caused engine damage unless filter parts were found in the engine on a tear down.

3. The burden of proof lies with the consumer with respect to a warranty claim.

4. The filter manufacturers warranty is essentially worthless to the consumer.

5. Marketing drivel is used to manipulate the buyer.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: tig1
With the 10K OCIs I have been doing for the last 39 years, I have never had visible mess, dirt or sediment. Even at 200K my 2007 Fusion is like new clean.

That's nothing. I have been doing the same across 2 millennia now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back