Mazda 3 and 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again!

I was wondering peoples opinions on the Mazda 3 and 6. I wanted a manual but I have seen that on some models the clutch will literally just go out. Anyone own one of these bad boys that can tell me some pros and cons?

My opinion: great cars. Clutch will last if you know what you're doing. Never owned one and don't have enough headroom for me but if they did they'd be on the radar. I know a guy that owned a Mazda for several years, and his was bulletproof...and that's what I read online. There of course might be issues I'm not aware of but on the whole, Mazda produce great vehicles.

The clutch can just "go" on any car. Depends on how you drive. I had a 2010 Mazda 3 with a manual for 5 years and 115k miles. Never even had to do brakes on that car. Current Mazda 6 has just shy of $40k and no issues

I own a 2007. 2nd owner. Got complete records of the original owner. Original clutch. Purchase 3 years ago with 119K. Current at 131K. I know almost 4k a year! When the clutch goes, I'll spend the $$$ to have it replaced. Haven't had to do anything else since the purchase.

Last edited:
Up until the last handfull of years, Mazda still struggled with rust issues

"Speed" 3/6 had engine issues, they can lean out and blow engines on WOT pulls without preventive HPFP upgrading

What years are you looking at?

Great cars, I would consider one if they were what I wanted in a car. There are random things that will go depending on the engine. Clutches either go out right away or last forever, all depends on the driver. I think I sell more body parts than hard parts for them.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Up until the last handfull of years, Mazda still struggled with rust issues

"Speed" 3/6 had engine issues, they can lean out and blow engines on WOT pulls without preventive HPFP upgrading

What years are you looking at?

I was thinking 2009-2013 range I plan to buy used

I don't have any experience with pre-Skyactiv Mazdas - but the Skyactiv versions seem to be fine. My 2014 '6 has been great since new (though I can't comment on the clutch issue since mine is an AT).

Pros:
- 40+ MPG hwy is possible
- Zero mechanical issues so far
- Fun to drive

Cons:
- Needs more power
- Backseat area is too small (seriously, have you seen the size of rear-facing car seats lately? THAT is why SUVs are so popular, you can't fit a [censored] rear-facing car seat into a normal sized sedan anymore. When people start having babies and figure out the infant car seats don't fit in their average sized sedans, it's off to go look at SUVs).

Last edited:
My wife had a 2012 Mazda3 with a stick and the clutch never posed a problem and she gave it the torture test visiting her parents in NYC/Brooklyn.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I don't have any experience with pre-Skyactiv Mazdas - but the Skyactiv versions seem to be fine. My 2014 '6 has been great since new (though I can't comment on the clutch issue since mine is an AT).

Pros:
- 40+ MPG hwy is possible
- Zero mechanical issues so far
- Fun to drive

Cons:
- Needs more power
- Backseat area is too small (seriously, have you seen the size of rear-facing car seats lately? THAT is why SUVs are so popular, you can't fit a [censored] rear-facing car seat into a normal sized sedan anymore. When people start having babies and figure out the infant car seats don't fit in their average sized sedans, it's off to go look at SUVs).

Yup. I took my niece and my sister somewhere and I had to move my seat into an uncomfortable position because that dang car seat was huge.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
.. you can't fit a [censored] rear-facing car seat into a normal sized sedan anymore. When people start having babies and figure out the infant car seats don't fit in their average sized sedans, it's off to go look at SUVs).

Our rear facing baby seat fits just fine in my 2007 Honda Accord. It does fill all the available space but it's not a problem.

Had a 2007 Mazda 3. Original clutch started slipping at 175,000 miles. The only weak point on the car was the suspension.

CR heavily advertises that generation; both 2.5l and 3.7l are proven and long lasting engines; I'd get 2013 if I were you;

Last edited:
While my Mazda 6 is too new to comment on clutch longevity, I did have a 2004 Mazda 3s with the 2.5. It was a fantastic car, the only problem I ever had was replacing the motor mounts once. I sold it with 130k and the clutch was still right as rain. I regretted selling that car for years. It's still one of my favorite cars that I've owned.

If you get the MZR engines, the 2.0 gets great mileage but is kind of a dog. The 2.5 is perhaps the best sounding/feeling 4-cylinder in a modern economy car... at least on par with the Hondas I have driven. However, it tends to be on the thirstier side for a four-banger.

For mazda 3, at about 120k expect to do struts and wheel bearings. My 06 is an AT so I can't comment about the clutch.
For the first gen mazda 3 (04-09), I would get the 2.0l engine instead of 2.3l. The 2.3l has a a cartridge oil filter and a plastic housing. The housing is known to crack easily when over torqued, followed by a quick loss of oil. Most of the engine failures reported on Mazda Forums were caused by the cracked housing.
The 2.3 also has a counterbalance shaft that is known to fail. Not to mention it's quite thirsty for the displacement and HP it produces.

The second gen (10-13) was really a refresh, but the 2.3l was replaced with a much better 2.5l engine and from 2012, you could get a 2.0l Skyactive engine in mazda 3. So that gen can be had with 2.0l, 2.5l and 2.0l Skyactive, which is a direct injection engine. But the smiley face look is not for everyone, although in darker colors it's much less pronounced.

The 3rd gen (2014 to present) is an all new design done solely by Mazda. The other two gens shared a lot of parts with Ford. From what I read, these are also very solid economy vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Bhoppy1216
I was thinking 2009-2013 range I plan to buy used

The absolute "worst" car owner I know (and a good friend from college) has owned only Mazdas since 2004. He is the former pizza delivery guy (now a nuclear engineer) and those driving habits remain. The best way I can explain his "awfulness" is when he sold a Mitsubishi Mirage (99 - so the old model) because he lost his spare tire and it was too difficult to get a new one. I used to help him in college to "fix" his cars (replace headlight bulbs etc) because if the battery was dead, he would literally consider taking it to the dealer and trading it in because it was "unreliable".

After buying his Mazda and a little basic PM coaching, he can now drive the lifespan of the vehicle... and he drives a lot.
Anyway, he put about 260K miles on a 2004 Mazda3 before trading it in (because it needed a new AC compressor) and he has about 80K on his 2015 Mazda6. I think his wife has a CX5? Trouble free miles otherwise he would have traded it in.

That being said, I had to talk him out of an RX8... long story but I had to walk him through the rotary maintenance routine.

Personally, the Mazda6's resale value is so poor, I would go with a Madza6 over the Mazda3. It is a great car but no one remembers it.

Last edited:
I've got a 2011 6 with a 6spd manual. It's been very reliable without any major repairs other than maintenance. At 100k miles and I need to put new shocks on it - I can tel the shocks are shot.

Otherwise it has been a good car. No clutch issues - still grabs just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ

For the first gen mazda 3 (04-09), I would get the 2.0l engine instead of 2.3l. The 2.3l has a a cartridge oil filter and a plastic housing. The housing is known to crack easily when over torqued, followed by a quick loss of oil. Most of the engine failures reported on Mazda Forums were caused by the cracked housing.
The 2.3 also has a counterbalance shaft that is known to fail. Not to mention it's quite thirsty for the displacement and HP it produces.

Ah yes, sorry, my 2004 had the 2.3. I mistakenly said 2.5.

I would still get the 2.3. It makes about 160 hp and ft lbs of torque. If you are worried about the plastic cartridge filter housing Mazda makes kits that switch them to a canister style.

To me and in my experience 2.3l engine is one of most durable engines on the market, if you babe it, it will return the favor back to you for long yeas to come. Some Fusion drivers here at the forum can attest to that too.

That issue with the camshaft alignment comes only at low oil levels, for a long time and engine is running rough and sometime even stalls and wont crank up. In the first generations, Mazda 3 is so uncivilized and raw and reminds me of the early setup of VW Golfs. On the other hand, Mazda 6 is refined, firm, and precise in its movements.
That plastic cartridge cover that holds the filter in its place may crack if you re not careful with it, but if you're a car guy just like the rest of us here then no problems.

My car recently developed some vibration in steering wheel while cold or at the traffic light but it is far from unbearable so I simply driving it around...

I have just drove older Mazda3's from 2007 to 2012 and I'm always impressed how they feel in brisk cornering. They actually load up the outside rear tire and turn in well. I've ridden in a 2015 3 and it's impressive how quiet and solid it feels. If you like driving and are spending economy car money, the mazda3 is the one to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back