Upgrade from Bosch Quietcast Pads--Saab 9-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
The Akebono pads I put on my Toyota Sienna have better initial bite than the OE pads.

Well, really not hard to achieve that on Sienna. It is not like Sienna comes with performance brakes, or some other similar vehicles.
Akebono are really good eliminating dust on vehicles like BMW, however, IMO< huge drop in performance, especially initial bite compare to OEM or OE supplied pads.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Avoid Akebono at any cost if initial bite is important.

Forgot to add that, if not already evident, to avoid pads marketed as "ceramic" if that applies.

Akebono may seem like a punching bag, but their aftermarket lineup is all ceramic. It also applies to the ceramic pads made by performance brands like Hawk, which aren't as well-received as their other pads.

Ceramic pads provide a different experience, and generally don't "bite" as hard. Whether that's seen as positive or negative (particularly when weighed against other things like dust) is up to the user, but they do act differently.

In my own experience, I recently switched from what could be considered a street-performance pad (Axxis Ultimates) to a ceramic street pad (Textar ePad).

My initial aim wasn't to go the low-dust route, but then I started to lean that way, as long as the feel/performance sacrifice was acceptable. The totality of what I read told me that I probably wouldn't like the Akebono Euros, so I opted against them.

What little I did find on the Textar ePads suggested that they would better preserve those characteristics, while still providing a benefit in terms of cleanliness. They were also cheaper, and from a known quantity, so I took a flyer on them, and have generally been pleased.

I do find that they aren't as touchy/grabby at low speeds as the Ultimates (a GF pad, FWIW), and require more pedal pressure at high speeds to achieve the same level of deceleration.

But after some acclimation, I don't feel the urge to toss them, and to some surprise, I'm enjoying not having to clean the front wheels nearly as often the rears, which are still Ultimates. The next test will come in the winter cold and wet.

Can't say how much of the difference stems from going to a "performance" pad to a "street" pad, and how much from the "ceramic" element, but it is different, and thus far, wholly acceptable.

YMMV.

I think BMW uses Textar ePad on F15 X5 and some other F models here in the U.S. since American buyers of BMW's apparently have biggest issue with dust.
I find them better then Akebono, but not on par with good ole dusting BMW pads.

I just went from quietcast to Raybestos EHT pads on my Mazda6 and am happy with the change. Better initial bite and better modulation when braking from speed. Dust has been minimal, however, they're still breaking in.

The quietcast were certainly smooth brakes, but I feel the EHT are even better in that regard. Both the quietcast and the EHT are better than when I had Akebono pads on. I've had bendix CT-3, Akebono, quietcast and now EHT and the EHT are easily my favorite.

I also went with new rotors from Raybestos, their RPT rotors which are nice. As for rotors, I've had centric premiums, Raybestos AT, bosch quietcast and now the Raybestos RPT; I'd say it's a toss up between the quietcast rotors and the RPT as my favorite and best results, with the centric premiums as my least favorite.

I do maintenance on a 2008 Honda Civic. Pad slapped it with Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads that was purchased from Advance Auto 13 months ago. They have a wear indicator(squealer) on the inboard pad. Sure enough the pads were worn slap out. Slider pins were working just fine. Approximately 25,000 miles on the pads. I have had premium semi-metallic pads with more miles than that for a lot less money.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/akebono-proact-ultra-premium-ceramic-brake-pads-act465a/14340079-P?navigationPath=L1*14921%7CL2*16463%7CL3*15694

Advance did not have Akebono in stock, so they offered their Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads for replacement, which have a limited lifetime warranty, and are comparable in price to the Akebono. The Akebono had a three year warranty when they were bought, but they are listed with a limited lifetime warranty now. Advance will only warranty the Platinum pads for 90 days. They said since this was the second replacement that's just the way it is.

Have come to the conclusion that Akebono aftermarket are not the same quality that came on the Honda(made by Akebono) from the factory. Wheels were jet black with brake dust. There were cracks all around the edges of the pad surface. Looked like they were literally going to fall apart at any time. Will not buy them again.

I find it interesting that everyone is telling me how bad akebono is, yet the pads for my fusion are great. Of course I didn't pad slap mine onto ridged rotors to be chewed up either

Hi

Not sure what year your Saab is.. I had a 04 9-3 with the optional larger brakes and put Textar pads on new OEM rotors for the front. I immediately noticed how much harder they gripped. So much that I was worried that they were doing more braking than before, so I put new Textar pads on the new OEM rotors for the rear the following week.

One downside.. they dust like no other. Keeping the wheels clean was a challenge.. but it stopped very very good.

Just my $0.02

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
I find it interesting that everyone is telling me how bad akebono is, yet the pads for my fusion are great. Of course I didn't pad slap mine onto ridged rotors to be chewed up either

Depends on application. Depends what kind of performance OEM brakes deliver. On Euro cars Akebono eliminates dust that Euro cars are known for, but it is huge drop in performance.
One thing is for sure, they are extremely popular among BMW grocery getting drivers.

^^^ agreed. oem volvo has far more stopping power, however it's also more than needed. Akebono on the volvos are still quite drivable and feel like a normal accord or camry. And they dust far less.

I do not do pad slaps unless the rotors are excellent. I much prefer new rotors, especially on the truck. As posted above, akebono did not cut it on the truck, but has been great on other vehicles I've maintained.

-m

I want with ATE pads, but plan now to change them out. They make more black dust than any pad I've used. I have Akebono ceramics on order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back