Had my first close call

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out riding my Zuma 125 this Saturday and had my first close call ever. I was turning right in a shared straight/turn lane and a lady in an explorer failed to see me. I had moved over to the right side of the lane luckily. She swerved and broke her side mirror off on my arm. My arm also bounced down the side of the vehicle as she wizzed by.

After i got home i realized the blinker had been broken and that she was about 1 inch away from her bumper hitting the back of the frame which I'm thinking would have been a much more extreme experience. I kept the scooter up and ended up physically OK but mentally shaken. This is one of those cases that i believe is tough to avoid. I moved over in the lane, had my blinker on, my Hi-viz bell helmet. I guess that's just how it goes sometimes with distracted drivers.

I had to chase her down and honk at her a bunch before she finally pulled over. The whole interaction was pointless as i suspect she was under the influence of something. But she had no remorse and never asked if I was OK.

Did you call the cops?

If you have to chase someone down, it is a hit and run. If she was under the influence, she likely could've killed someone else.

If that happened to me, that lady wouldn't be going anywhere until law enforcement arrived.

They must make helmet cams with both front and rear facing cameras. I think someone seeing that they are being filmed might help them pay attention and also you have evidence for your civil lawsuit in case this happens again.

I should have probably called the police, but i was a bit shaken up and really just wanted to get home. Funny you should ask about her mirror, that was the first thing she said when she got out of the car "look at my dang mirror!". I had a few choice words for her before i calmed down a bit.

Health issues with your arm might come back to haunt you years from now. That's why it is important to do everything by the book, including a visit to the doctor now, instead of later.

Serious injury and/or death was only inches away. Glad to hear that you are well and safe.

Glad you stayed upright. I really want to ride again, but its the "other" drivers keep me away.

My wife drives (her car) in peoples blind spots all the time on the highway. At our age now, you cant tell them anything about good driving habits without getting an earful and an attitude all day.

stay safe and well.

Last edited:
Well at least she got some kind of punishment out of the ordeal.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JoelB
I should have probably called the police, but i was a bit shaken up and really just wanted to get home. Funny you should ask about her mirror, that was the first thing she said when she got out of the car "look at my dang mirror!". I had a few choice words for her before i calmed down a bit.

I probably would have gone to jail for beating the snot out of her with said mirror for that statement. What an ignorant POS.

I remember dealing with these kind of people all the time in auto insurance. It was very depressing to say the least. I remember a woman hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk and sent the pedestrian to intensive care. All she was concerned about was the dent in her hood and why her rental didn't have the same features as her normal car.

There is no way to be safe on a motorcycle, scooter or bicycle when dealing with other vehicles. Their lack of attention to driving or violating the laws means nothing. If you get hit, you get hurt or worse. If it's serious no amount of healthcare or money can "fix" you.

I quit riding after I was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 after a lifetime of riding. I feel lucky that I've only crashed (my fault) a few times and was in one accident involving a motor vehicle. I was hit head on by a police car with his red lights and siren on. I had pulled to the right and had my foot on the curb. He pulled around several cars blocking his way where his attention was focused. I leaped straight up with no other way out and bounced over the hood and through his light rack and landed on the ground, shaken but unhurt. I did the ER routine and the police made a generous settlement. The problem was that it happened when I was young, knew everything and was immortal.

One oops and you'll get the short end of the stick.

So glad that it wasn't worse for you. Your quick instincts saved you. I had a similar thing happen to me years ago on my cycle when a lady went from her inside lane to my outside lane as we went around a bend. I dropped my bike and damaged a muffler. She stopped to check on me.

Originally Posted By: JoelB

You still should call the police.

Don't be surprised that when/if she comes to her senses, she sees her mirror, and has a vague recollection of a Rider... in her mind she'll blame you for everything. Then she'll likely call the police herself and tell them that. Then they'll be looking for a 'hit-and-run rider'.

I've had a few close calls myself over the years. ALWAYS assume you are invisible, and ride accordingly. I'm glad that you seem to be okay.

Calling the police most likely wont do a thing at this point. If anything, it would potentially hurt the OP. Anytime someone is involved in a vehicle accident, their fault or not, auto insurers take drivers that aren't cited as someone who doesn't drive defensively and will often adjust the rate accordingly. Usually not for one accident
however. I've been riding on two wheels from 14 on a moped in the late 80's until 2 years ago when I sold my Aprilia Shiver 750. Bad drivers have always existed but the difference today compared to when I first started out is that there are more vehicles on the road with blind spots and people talking/texting/playing on phones behind the wheel. I'm done riding. As stated above, always assume your invisible and ride accordingly. I always rode as such but doing so makes riding nerve racking and takes the joy out of riding, but it's necessary.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Calling the police most likely wont do a thing at this point. If anything, it would potentially hurt the OP.

Good point. Since it's been days, the OP might be looked at as a guilty party, too.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There is no way to be safe on a motorcycle, scooter or bicycle when dealing with other vehicles. Their lack of attention to driving or violating the laws means nothing. If you get hit, you get hurt or worse. If it's serious no amount of healthcare or money can "fix" you.

I quit riding after I was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 after a lifetime of riding. I feel lucky that I've only crashed (my fault) a few times and was in one accident involving a motor vehicle. I was hit head on by a police car with his red lights and siren on. I had pulled to the right and had my foot on the curb. He pulled around several cars blocking his way where his attention was focused. I leaped straight up with no other way out and bounced over the hood and through his light rack and landed on the ground, shaken but unhurt. I did the ER routine and the police made a generous settlement. The problem was that it happened when I was young, knew everything and was immortal.

One oops and you'll get the short end of the stick.

I know a women whose husband was killed by an older driver making a left hand turn in front of him. Its unfortunate but he was killed on impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back