Sylvania Silverstar 9003

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

I read a lot of discussions here about headlight bulbs and didn't have my hopes up.

The difference between whatever was in there and the Silverstars is amazing. Worth every dime.

White, clean light, great pattern, doesn't bother other drivers, I can see up close, off on the shoulder for deer, and it illuminates reflective signs 0.3 mile away.

Highly recommended.

10-4 good buddy! Thanks for the review.

Years ago the word from my poison sources was to avoid Sylvania. Things change with time. Will consider it for my 9006's when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Silverstars are great, but VERY SHORT LIFE.

When they burn out, go with the sylvania Xtravision.

+1 The xtravision is where you want to be. Good life and light. Silverstars are great, but I don't like replacing bulbs annually, and that's about as long as I've gotten out of any.

Silverstar Ultra in two vehicles for 2+ years and not burned out.

I wonder why some guys have such issues with premature failure?

I couldn't tell a difference between Silverstars and regular Sylvanias. When the Silverstars burned out after about 7 months, I put regular Sylvanias back in.

edit: The factory bulbs (Sylvanias) lasted over ten years, but they probably aren't the same as what you buy off the shelf at a parts store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I wonder if a temp probe inside the headlight housing would solve that mystery.

Seems like the larger truck housings have more "breathing room" and bulbs fare better.

Same here on the Silverstars, they didn't last but a year in my 2002 Silverado, or my 91 Jetta or my daughters 2012 Cruze. So you can't say it is because of the vehicle. Very short life. Great light otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I wonder if a temp probe inside the headlight housing would solve that mystery.

Seems like the larger truck housings have more "breathing room" and bulbs fare better.

Interesting.

BTW, I suppose any discussion of personal experience should include an approximation of driving conditions.
The difference could be "night & day".
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back