Pao levels of Edge EP vs M1 EP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even a fairly thorough analysis by the PQIA or Russian Oil Club will not speculate as to the base stock composition of retail oils.
I suspect that somebody in the industry could take a good guess at the composition details based upon a really good VOA, but it would still be a guess.

OP

What grade? It s BIG product lineup. And what do you mean by synthetic? If you don't know why would you care?

5W30EP is not too high on M1 per their MSDS at 20-30% CAS# 68037-01-4

The 0w20 M1 EP appear to be the only Synthetic oil in M1 LINEUP for passenger cars 60-70% CAS# 68037-0104 PAO)

The rest are mainly petroleum oil based group III performance.

Have fun in the oil aisle
smile.gif

Last edited:
I would just try it and see if the car likes it.

I would go for the Magnatec or a Shell product

- I don't like the Ti additive package in anything Ive tried though its supposed to ne plus ultra.
Maybe id like it better on a worn in engine. Never tried it in that application.

Castrol Edge EP 0W20 PP is -38F, M1 EP 0W20 is -54F. Looks like the M1 (at least in 0W20) has more PAO-but only your engine, and UOA trend, will really know for sure which one works better for you, I wouldn't have any issues running either one to 10K in a clean engine.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
OP

What grade? It s BIG product lineup. And what do you mean by synthetic? If you don't know why would you care?

The 0w20 M1 EP appear to be the only Synthetic oil in M1 LINEUP for passenger cars 60-70% CAS# 68037-0104 PAO)

smile.gif

Mostly wrong again.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
OP

smile.gif

Mostly wrong again.

Yep, good old ARCO talking out of his rear end again; not
Surprising

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Castrol Edge EP 0W20 PP is -38F, M1 EP 0W20 is -54F. Looks like the M1 (at least in 0W20) has more PAO-but only your engine, and UOA trend, will really know for sure which one works better for you, I wouldn't have any issues running either one to 10K in a clean engine.

Like ArcoGraphite said above, M1 EP 0w20 does have about 65% PAO (confirmed; I saw the SDS too).
Clever way to compare. Comparing Castrol Edge EP to Mobil by pour point should work well.
Castrol Edge EP 0w20 is actually listed as -43 deg F (not -38F, that figure is for black bottle only).
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/2E0C74C068F96EFC8025814C005E6D47/$File/BPXE-ANUM3J.pdf

I found an MSDS on Edge black bottle 0w20, not their EP one, and it is indeed all GroupIII, no PAO... no surprise.
And Castrol Edge black bottle has a pour point of -38 degF.
Could be Castrol Edge EP gold bottle has very little PAO, based on the pour point comparison (black bottle to gold bottle Edge 0w20's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back