Purolator PSL20195 36k on ATF cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was used for 36790 miles and 32 months filtering the ATF on the 2004 Corolla. It was the first filter used with the filtering setup: tranny > atf filter on remote base > factory radiator cooler > aftermarket cooler >back to tranny.
The ADBV was shark bitten and it didn't take much for it to start separating. The ADBV did not matter in this application.
Otherwise no issues with the filter, no tears in the media, no loose endcaps. It was replaced by a PSL10241 which will stay in use for 60k.

I had a magnet on the outside of the filter.

Looks like it held up well. Can't say same for ADBV

Thanks for c&p sir
smile.gif

Seam looks terrible and I would have been more than a little concerned that pieces of the ABDV could find its way into the transmission. Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Very nifty that you fashioned a trannie filter. Were any magnets involved?

I had 2 hard drive magnets on the outside of the filter can.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Seam looks terrible and I would have been more than a little concerned that pieces of the ABDV could find its way into the transmission. Thanks for the C&P.

No Chance.

They'd have to go through the filter media, first!!

Stating the obvious here, a poor adbv baseplate mesh area design in this application. The central portion of the adbv takes the direct pressure from the dome leaf spring on the inlet holes, thus the cuts. Other successful adbv designs do not do that. This one made Feb 2014. One would hope at some point M&H Puro would redesign/reengineer the adbv area in the applications that use this design.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
No Chance. They'd have to go through the filter media, first!!
Right; you mean through that perfect seam? All of the rhetoric notwithstanding, this filter (and many others posted here) gives me zero incentive to give Purolator so much as a sideways glance.

Probably a good application to use a spare zpurolator for. Low stress and a system that doesn't live on a filter.

Clear red fluid and dark media is a sure sign the media is doing it's job.

I prefer the XG16 - it runs behind both coolers ... mine is very easy to get to so just change it every fall along with a pan volume ATF - 20 minutes, done ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it not recommended to have an ADBV on a hydraulic filter?

My tractor's hydraulic filters do not have ADBV's and are mounted sideways. IIRC they also don't have bypass valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back