ADB for Everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over at DrivingVisionNews, Daniel Stern wrote an interesting article/editorial about Adaptive Driving Beam (ADB), and whether we will see it in all cars or just luxury cars.

Some excerpts:

Quote:
The inadequacy of the [conventional ] low beam is at the conceptual level. Consider: despite decades of trying, nobody has ever demonstrated a practical safety benefit to SAE or ECE headlamps. The list of theoretical relative merits and drawbacks is a long one: less glare from the ECE low beam, less backscatter (stray light) from the SAE low beam, longer seeing distance on the left side with ECE, longer seeing distance on the right side with SAE, etc. But even big theoretical differences don't show up in practical safety differences. Why? Probably because we are just comparing two varieties of inadequate headlamp. They simply cannot do the job we require of them…

In ADB we have technology and technique to fix the problem by giving drivers 30 metres' additional seeing distance without increasing glare. It's a seeing/glare balance much better than any low beam can achieve, and it will take big bites out of problems as serious as the alarming nighttime pedestrian hit-and-kill rate, and as annoying and intractable as the tendency of drivers in China to use their high beams even in traffic. But relying on the short-term-profit mentality that would offer ADB as an extra-cost luxury item stands a good chance of relegating ADB to HID's low take rates, and then it won't save lives because it's not on the roads. We must not allow that to happen….

Consider the lesson of the HID headlamp: when it was introduced in the early 1990s, we all congratulated ourselves on the superior new technology and the safety benefit it offered, and predicted the end of the halogen headlamp within a decade. That never even came close to happening, and it never will. From this we may draw an important warning: If we are to make real progress in leveraging our community's vast recent technical progress toward headlamps that can radically reduce traffic fatalities, we will have to think in radically different ways. To wit: we must all urgently work hard toward every vehicle coming with good ADB as standard equipment….

Is the ADB the leveling mechanism? Because when one of those vehicles with a leveling beam is behind me on a hilly road at night I get blinded by it a lot

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/transportation/TLA/pdf/TLA-2016-01.pdf

An excerpt from the abstract in the above 2016 technical paper:

Quote:
Recent developments in solid-state lighting, sensor and control technologies are making new configurations for vehicle forward lighting feasible. Building on systems that automatically switch from high- to low-beam headlights in the presence of oncoming vehicles, adaptive driving beam (ADB) systems can detect both oncoming headlights and preceding taillights and reduce their intensity only in the direction of the other lights while maintaining higher levels of illumination throughout the remainder of the field of view. The nominal benefit of ADB systems is the provision of high-beam levels of illumination in the forward scene while reducing glare to oncoming and preceding drivers, who perceive low-beam illumination levels….

...The findings from both experiments are consistent with previous analytical and static field tests and suggest that ADB systems can offer safety benefits compared to conventional headlight systems. Despite these potential benefits, ADB systems are not presently defined in North American headlighting standards...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Is the ADB the leveling mechanism?

No. See the definition of ADB in my post #2

Yeah, I have them in my E-350. Seems to work pretty well. It actually comes on somewhat slowly so unless I'm looking for it, you don't notice when it goes from low to high. They still have it as an option in the new models, they're now LED instead of bixenons, but it's an extra cost lighting package. Also gives you active curve illumination.

If everyone ud=sed halogen sealed beam or European spec H4 lights PROPERLY ALIGNED then there wouldn't be the current arms race reducing road safety at night.
If your night vision can't cope with such a system you have no business driving at night.

Claud.

The biggest problem I have is with the morons and their bro trucks that cant/wont align the headlights down enough to not blind anyone in front of them. I don't think you have these idiots in the UK, the toilet would never get an MOT.

Biggest issue at this end is all the idiots with cheap, Chinese HIDs in halogen headlight housings that blind the living day lights out of you. The roads are extremely well lit, but they only do it for the "cool" factor and flash to pass.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yeah, I have them in my E-350. Seems to work pretty well. It actually comes on somewhat slowly so unless I'm looking for it, you don't notice when it goes from low to high. They still have it as an option in the new models, they're now LED instead of bixenons, but it's an extra cost lighting package. Also gives you active curve illumination.

The E350 does not have ADB. No USA market vehicle has it. ADB is not yet legal in the USA. It is still under scrutiny by NHTSA. Sounds like your E350 has automatic high beams, and curve illumination. ADB goes beyond that.

Originally Posted By: Claud
then there wouldn't be the current arms race reducing road safety at night.
If your night vision can't cope with such a system you have no business driving at night.

AGREED!!

I'm so sick and tired of idiots with lights (even on "low") that blind me oncoming.

"current arms race" concerning headlights is an apt description.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

The E350 does not have ADB. No USA market vehicle has it. ADB is not yet legal in the USA. It is still under scrutiny by NHTSA. Sounds like your E350 has automatic high beams, and curve illumination. ADB goes beyond that.

Oh yeah, Europe has lots of stuff that the US doesn't have and it might be years more til something happens. And yes, it's automatic high beams. Seems to work well. Still a rare option even in the new models as it's part of the lighting package.

ADB for everybody? Isn't that like communism? :)

But seriously, why not just go with the LED headlights? If I am not mistaken current Corolla and Prius come with (or has an option) of LED headlamps. If Corolla can managed to put LED projector, there is no reason why all new models could not be mandated to come with them.

Last edited:
Lights that blind others are the new cool feature to have.

If anyone asks, we tell them it is strictly for safety to see better. But if it wasn't cool looking, we wouldn't bother.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Watching the video, the MB system sure did exactly what you claimed in post 3.

Osram, and other lighting manufacturers, are working on reducing costs, so that advanced lighting can be offered in mass market vehicles, and not just in high end luxury vehicles.

Quote:
...Glare-free high beam is the most advanced form of car light. And in its most advanced version it comes from matrix headlights. In this technology, a large number of LEDs – from about 16 per headlight – illuminate the road. And each of them casts its light onto a certain spot. An area where for example an oncoming car is can be deliberately masked out. Controlled by a camera, there’s always the ideal amount of light on the road without other drivers being dazzled…

...A new development from Osram now simplifies the design of matrix headlights. It’s called Smartrix, a word coined from smart and matrix. It’s a very compact module with ten high-power LEDs of the OSLON Black Flat type. The major innovation here are the lenses in front of the light-emitting diodes. In Smartrix they consist of particularly durable silicone. The combination of the already compact light-emitting diodes and space-saving lenses makes the modules very small and shallow…

...With increasing volumes, Osram’s development will be found more often in matrix headlights in future, even in small vehicle classes. Matrix for everyone is anything but impossible...

https://www.carlightblog.com/2017/12/04/smart-light-source/

LED headlamps for the most part are awful for oncoming traffic. The blue tint is so abrasive and glare-ey, despite the best aiming efforts, auto leveling can help...but no. They have access to high CRI tints that are more pleasing to the eye as well as help to distinguish colors, I hope they utilize this.

ADB would be a wonderful thing if they could make it reliable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back