Bougt an older case tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put some cash down. Gotta hit the bank tomorrow and pay it off. Looks to be a late 40s case from pics I am looking at.

Has an oil bath air filter. Wonder if I can retrofit a paper style to it? Has a spin on oil filter but its not a full flow. Its a spin on,block mounted bypass filter. Already bought 2 new filters lol.

Any good sites to learn what and where oils go? I did some googling and did see the part about the stand pipe for the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

Has an oil bath air filter. Wonder if I can retrofit a paper style to it? Has a spin on oil filter but its not a full flow. Its a spin on,block mounted bypass filter. Already bought 2 new filters lol.

Any good sites to learn what and where oils go? I did some googling and did see the part about the stand pipe for the oil filter.

You don't want to put a paper-style filter on it. Seriously, while not quite as efficient as a paper filter, those oil bath filters lasted for decades and they held much more dirt.
Just about all the tractors of that era had a bypass oil system, meaning about 5% of the oil got filtered and 95% did not, at least until the oil had made several passes through the engine. Those engines lasted for decades with that system and it worked fine. It's also another reason that the Purolator filters are not destroying your modern automotive engines.
You need to get an operator's manual and a repair manual for it, once you find out the exact model number and year.
Join the YT Mag forum discussion groups. (yesterday's tractor magazine forum, google it) They have a forum for about every popular tractor, including your Case, and there's a wealth of information to be gleaned. They also sell parts for it on the side at reasonable prices. Steiner tractor (a company that sells parts) also has a pretty good selection of parts, albeit not the cheapest. As you get more familiar with your tractor, you'll find more sources of parts. Just make sure you get the correct model number first.

Last edited:
Sweet.
36.gif

The oil bath will be fine except for the VERY dustiest of conditions.

You can get cheap cotton gauze cone filters (K&N copy) and place them on the air inlet tube, pre-filtering the air before the oil bath. This helps out a LOT.

I do this for my Farmall when making hay, and also on my tree branch chipper with an industrial Ford engine. With either of these, without the gauze cone filter, the oil bath fills up with crud in just 1-2 days.

I do NOT use non-detergent oil in my oil baths.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The oil bath will be fine except for the VERY dustiest of conditions.

You can get cheap cotton gauze cone filters (K&N copy) and place them on the air inlet tube, pre-filtering the air before the oil bath. This helps out a LOT.

I do this for my Farmall when making hay, and also on my tree branch chipper with an industrial Ford engine. With either of these, without the gauze cone filter, the oil bath fills up with crud in just 1-2 days.

I do NOT use non-detergent oil in my oil baths.
its very dusty here. Im lucky to get 5k out of my air filters.

If anything I would mount a turbo air filter on top of the oil bath filter. We ran them on tractors on a sod and peat mining farm and you could see the dirt being thrown out. Many newer tractors have some sort of centrifugal pre filter.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
If anything I would mount a turbo air filter on top of the oil bath filter. We ran them on tractors on a sod and peat mining farm and you could see the dirt being thrown out. Many newer tractors have some sort of centrifugal pre filter.

I imagine they all do, mine uses a donaldson centrifugal system.
Probably for the number of hours you will use it, whatever system it has will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back