Reading thread oddities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this is a shortcoming of the forum software but I want to double-check a couple of things.

1) Is there a "jump to first unread post" to continue reading a thread you've read previously ? I know I can go to the very last post -- which seems like a pretty silly option if you think about it. Then what, go backwards ? Not fun if there's more than a few pages...

2) Why does clicking a thread title taking me to random points in the thread vs sometimes taking me to the first post (like it should) ?

No idea what mode, but I'll check if I can find it. I can say, whatever the default is is what I'm using.

----

Using FLAT mode

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Mine always brings me to the first unread thread when I click on the thread title.

Just clicked the thread title for this thread .... took me to my first post. Not the top of the thread's page either, slightly scrolled down, specifically, to my posting.

Did it with another thread (the one about having to log in repeatedly). I have posted in that thread, for reference. Clicking the thread title took me to a post 4-5 above my post in that thread. It clearly doesn't remember where we've "last read", let alone posted ! You clearly see different behavior too.

And it worked this time !

On a different topic, I remained logged in too ! I suspect there's a timeframe where it logs me out (and it's way too short). Or, if I close my browser, that may cause me to be logged out.

Using Chrome on macOS.

Weirdness.
Win 10, Win 8, and Win 7, Chrome, (old) Opera, Opera, IE, Edge, they all do it "normally" for me.

A MacOS issue? some setting I am not seeing? Cookie setting?

edit: just tried it on my iPad, Chrome and Safari, works like it should in both as well.

Last edited:
When I use Firefox, I have the "normal" functioning is blupupher mentions. If it's a new thread, and a real new thread (i.e. not something from last year I never bothered reading), it takes me to the beginning, just like this thread. If it's something I've already been reading and there are new posts, it takes me to the first post after the last one I read. As for logging in and out, I log out at the end of each visit, and log back in. I don't know how much time it takes to log me out if I'm inactive on the site, but it seems to be a fairly long time. I've been sidetracked a few times, and only been logged out during a session if it was a long distraction.

Sometimes (sorry, I'm only investing so much effort into this) it appears to take me to the latest post corresponding to my last visit. Problem is, it does this with threads that I haven't read before, so I can click a 4-page thread that I've never read and it may take me to page 2, 3, or 4.

Yes, that behaviour, too, I recognize. I alluded to it above. If it's a thread I've ignored in a subforum I frequent, it won't take me to the first post if I've been in and out of that subforum on a previous visit, without reading that thread. If I haven't been in that subforum for a while, then all new threads since my last visit to that subforum are highlighted as unread, and take me to the beginning.

OK, I see.
The problem is the forum will mark an entire subforum as read after a period of time, even if you do not read the thread, once you open that subforum.

If you see a yellow icon next to a thread
newfolder.gif
, it has new posts since the last time you visited that sub forum, and will bring you to that newest post (which may not be the first unread post in the thread, even if you have not actually read that thread). Not sure if it is an administrative setting in UBB or just a "glitch" in the software.

If the post has a white icon next to it
nonewfolder.gif
, no new posts since last visit to that subforum, and clicking on it will bring you to the first post.

Ahhh, yes, I've noticed the 'read' threads vs 'unread' threads oddity as well. There are many, many threads that are 'read' (no bold thread title) that I have certainly not read.

I don't know any other forum that still uses UBB either. Not sure how current or old this version here is either as I don't see any references.

If you hover over "Powered by UBB.threads" at the bottom, a pop-up "7.5.8" appears. The UBB website says the current version is "7.60". Reality is, these are pretty basic forum features so I don't think it's a case of not being up-to-date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back