Has Ford switched back to 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thought one of Tigs vehicles had a turbo? I was not trying to instigate any trouble. My apologies if it came across as such.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I had thought one of Tigs vehicles had a turbo? I was not trying to instigate any trouble. My apologies if it came across as such.

If I had an engine calling for 5-30 then 5-30 it would be. M1 of course. If I had an engine calling for 0-40 then 0-40 it would be. M1 of course. Quite simple.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The Ranger I have seen in Oz, SA, Namibia, etc - would sell decent in the USA - would not take much market from F150 or Super Duty crowd - but would pick off some Taco, Mazda & Canyon sales ... when fuel prices come back up - the small diesel could be poised to get a foothold...

Ranger is coming back on the same platform as the New Bronco. I honestly wish they would not announce product 3 years early. Way to much waiting. By the time it finally arrives it already feels like old news.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

Does any one have an actual copy of the Ford WSS M2C946 A:2016 Engineering Material Specification they could post?

I'd like to see that also. However, it appears that spec isn't too stringent as many "conventional" oils meet it, like Shell Formula 5W-30. Which is fine if you have a port injected non turbo engine. With our 2.3 EB I'm even leery about using the MotorCraft 5W-30 synblend for the length of the OLM. I'll keep that at 5,000 mi OCI's and for longer OCI's I'll use a synthetic such as Mobil 1 since I can get 4, 5 quart jugs a year for under $13/ea
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

Does any one have an actual copy of the Ford WSS M2C946 A:2016 Engineering Material Specification they could post?

I'd like to see that also. However, it appears that spec isn't too stringent as many "conventional" oils meet it, like Shell Formula 5W-30. Which is fine if you have a port injected non turbo engine. With our 2.3 EB I'm even leery about using the MotorCraft 5W-30 synblend for the length of the OLM. I'll keep that at 5,000 mi OCI's and for longer OCI's I'll use a synthetic such as Mobil 1 since I can get 4, 5 quart jugs a year for under $13/ea
grin.gif

Whimsey

I think I am going to go with 5k changes at the dealer(to have on record for warranty) and halfway through, at 2.5k, just dump the oil(no filter change) and put a 5 quart jug of the Motorcraft in. I really don't like the fuel smell on both our trucks, with our normal driving. Interestingly, there was none of this smell on the recent 2800 mile road trip.

Fair enough - at least they will start with some variation of a proven platform - those parts of the world will build a 4WD stake bed and do lots of work with the smaller units ...

My world has not landed all 20 spec ...
I own & buy oil for six vehicles - 2 are 20's and 4 are 30's ... 2010-2015 vehicles ...

grin.gif

Whimsey

I think I am going to go with 5k changes at the dealer(to have on record for warranty) and halfway through, at 2.5k, just dump the oil(no filter change) and put a 5 quart jug of the Motorcraft in. I really don't like the fuel smell on both our trucks, with our normal driving. Interestingly, there was none of this smell on the recent 2800 mile road trip.

What Ford EB engines do you have? With our "normal" driving patterns and the recent long highway trips I've never smelled fuel in the oil. I changed the "free" dealer fill at 5,200 miles with 3,200 miles on it, no fuel smell. I changed it with Mobil 1 5W-30 which I'm going to change on Tuesday. This accumulated over 7,000 miles in maybe 2 months. I'm going to send this out for an UOA to see how it fared.

Whimsey

grin.gif

Whimsey

What Ford EB engines do you have? With our "normal" driving patterns and the recent long highway trips I've never smelled fuel in the oil. I changed the "free" dealer fill at 5,200 miles with 3,200 miles on it, no fuel smell. I changed it with Mobil 1 5W-30 which I'm going to change on Tuesday. This accumulated over 7,000 miles in maybe 2 months. I'm going to send this out for an UOA to see how it fared.

Whimsey

They are both 2.7's. Both purchased new this year. I sent out the 2016 oil for a UOA right before the trip.
The 2016 smoked once decently after sitting a couple of hours. This was at around 1500 miles. The 2017 smoked decently once, right as I pulled it out of the garage after sitting for a week while we were on our trip. This is with about 3200 miles. The 2016 smoke was what got me to start looking at this. And it was not fuel or water vapor. It's oil smoke. That is one of the "symptoms" on the TSB.

Last edited:
Ouch a 21+ hour job...........Interesting, perhaps a reason for the topic of this thread? More reading on my part is needed.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Ford vehicles have usually been fairly reliable over the long term for me, 40 years, but nothing is perfect sad to say. So FAR our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer has been really good. Even during it's recent 7,000+ mile with Mobil 1 5W-30 it's used no measurable oil. Hopefully it maintains that good usage record. I hope Ford does right for you!!

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Fix it again Tony.

Fiat?

I think we're talking Fix or repair daily. (I may have missed something)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back