03 Neon motor mount failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

I have been noticing more and more vibrations in my car. Driving or stopped it would rattle. I inspected the motor mounts and determined it was time for replacement. I ordered a set from Rockauto and a couple of days after it arrived the lower mount failed completely. It felt awful as if the transmission was smashing through gears. Installed the new ones and what a difference.

Lower mount:

Upper mount:

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What brand did you get, Anchor?

Westar, made in India. Looking forward to see how well they hold up. If I recall correctly they were the cheapest on RA.

well. good luck.
as i former neon owner, i can confirm and attest, that they are Well known "rattlers"

and none of the aftermarket mounts are made like the OE ones.

OE are supposed to be Fluid-filled,while none of the aftermarket are.(at least according to the neon forum i used to frequent..)

and accordingly, none of the aftermarket units are as smooth as the OE units. some have even complained of cabin rattles getting worse after replacing mounts.

Last edited:
Not a Neon owner, but I've replaced a lot of failed motor mounts, on a lot of vehicles. Nine times out of ten, if you don't use an OEM part, you'll be replacing the same motor mount in short order. I have no idea why, the replacements seem okay, work fine for a bit, but they just don't hold up. I was in a pinch and bought a Westar upper mount for my Honda Odyssey, and it needs replaced in the worst way less than a year later. I had a similar experience with a Saturn I owned, that was an Anchor replacement, after a month replaced it with an OEM mount, and it lasted the remaining life of the car. You really do get what you pay for with these things.

On a side note, I once used hockey pucks with a hole drilled in the middle, as a replacement for the rubber front mount on a 2000 Bonneville (3.8L supercharged engine) at the suggestion of a bunch of forum members, and that was the longest lasting, best performing mount I've ever had. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Not a Neon owner, but I've replaced a lot of failed motor mounts, on a lot of vehicles. Nine times out of ten, if you don't use an OEM part, you'll be replacing the same motor mount in short order. I have no idea why, the replacements seem okay, work fine for a bit, but they just don't hold up. I was in a pinch and bought a Westar upper mount for my Honda Odyssey, and it needs replaced in the worst way less than a year later. I had a similar experience with a Saturn I owned, that was an Anchor replacement, after a month replaced it with an OEM mount, and it lasted the remaining life of the car. You really do get what you pay for with these things.

On a side note, I once used hockey pucks with a hole drilled in the middle, as a replacement for the rubber front mount on a 2000 Bonneville (3.8L supercharged engine) at the suggestion of a bunch of forum members, and that was the longest lasting, best performing mount I've ever had. Go figure.

I have used 3m Window Weld to fix the upper mount on my Mazda Protege5.

I took the mount off, covered one side with cardboard to prevent the urethane from leaking out and filled it from the other side. I let it set over a 3 day weekend while I was out of town.

More vibration conveyed to the passenger compartment. But for $20 vs over $100 for a new mount, I'm ok with that.

I don't think that style mount is ever fluid filled. That one just handles twisting of the drivetrain, the fluid filled ones usually handle holding up the drivetrain.
If that one fails, you probably can get a solid poly torque mount which increases vibes at idle and WO but usually settles in to nearly OE quietness for cruising. It was a good mod for even my auto 95 Neon for autocross, and I also have one in my Focus, but I have nearly 0 stop lights in my normal driving, let alone stop and go traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back