2002 Altima 212k Miles valve cover off picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my fathers vehicle. I have been maintaining it since 65k miles.
Always using a quality motor oil. Penn platinum, M1 high mileage, Valvoline maxlife. Whatever is on sale.

Wow that is clean! Thank you for posting
smile.gif

That really looks very, very good. The cam lobes look to be in great shape as well. A job very well done by you here.

NP. I figured I'd give back to the bobistheoilguy community. You guys got me started with synthetic oil and blackstone uoa. (when I used to do them). Also all the oil changes were 6000 miles at minimum.

Thanks for the post, engine looks great. I have a '96 Maxima with the first-gen VQ30DE turning 230k real soon. Can't say enough good things about Nissan engines, they'll run forever if you take care of the rest of the vehicle.

MINimun 6000 miles? What was the longest interval?

looks great!!

Last edited:
Looks excellent. I'd add this, an 02 Altima 2.5L with 212k mi. and all original/unmodified emission system including specifically the infamous precats and no engine damage or failure is an outlier. 02&03 2.5L Altima and Sentra Spec V were the worst offenders. Having lost a very well maintained relatively low miles 03 2.5L Altima to the infamous precat failure, I speak from personal experience. Have a 2011 bitog post, 'No more Nissans for me' documenting my experience.

So if you meet all the 2.5L qualifications, ie., all original emission precats, you sir have hit Nissan lottery with this engine and vehicle. And even bigger congratulations on that.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
MINimun 6000 miles? What was the longest interval?

looks great!!

8000k miles I think was the longest interval. The majority of the oil changes for the past 100k or so miles were 6000k.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Looks excellent. I'd add this, an 02 Altima 2.5L with 212k mi. and all original/unmodified emission system including specifically the infamous precats and no engine damage or failure is an outlier. 02&03 2.5L Altima and Sentra Spec V were the worst offenders. Having lost a very well maintained relatively low miles 03 2.5L Altima to the infamous precat failure, I speak from personal experience. Have a 2011 bitog post, 'No more Nissans for me' documenting my experience.

So if you meet all the 2.5L qualifications, ie., all original emission precats, you sir have hit Nissan lottery with this engine and vehicle. And even bigger congratulations on that.

Thanks for the pics.

I should clarify. It did have the precat failure in 2011. As soon as I got the P0420 code, I immediately replaced it with a header. If I would have kept that failing precat in there, it would have destroyed the motor. I'm very big on preventative maintenance.

Last edited:
By the time 0420 SES code showed on my 2.5L the damage was done, ie., engine cylinders scored from precat material sucked into engine and already using oil excessively. By then pointless imo to replace a precat at my own expense and throw away good money after bad.

Other than modifying the precat by hollowing it out or removing it, both against the law, "preventative maintenance" not part of the equation for me and thousands of other owners.

So if your SES light showed before significant engine damage done, you would still be one of the very fortunate owners of 02-03 Nissan 2.5L. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
By the time 0420 SES code showed on my 2.5L the damage was done, ie., engine cylinders scored from precat material sucked into engine and already using oil excessively. By then pointless imo to replace a precat at my own expense and throw away good money after bad.

Other than modifying the precat by hollowing it out or removing it, both against the law, "preventative maintenance" not part of the equation for me and thousands of other owners.

So if your SES light showed before significant engine damage done, you would still be one of the very fortunate owners of 02-03 Nissan 2.5L. Thanks for clarifying.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back