Carquest 85348 (910S equvalent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a box of older Wix made CQ 85348 filters. A few have the silicone ADBV and a few have the nitrile ones. The date stamps are from '12 and '09. They are not rusty.

Would these be suitable for a 10K OCI on my Fusion?

I would say 'yes' if your engine is clean (has no sludge already)....OTOH, any filter can be overwhelmed in a sludged up engine

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would say 'yes' if your engine is clean (has no sludge already)....OTOH, any filter can be overwhelmed in a sludged up engine

I have no reason to believe it's sludged up. I've always changed the oil every 7500. The first year or so I had it I was doing 5000 mile OCI's.

I would not use them, Especially since that is a very common application, and brand-new 2017-production filters are very easy to get.

The only time old filters are worth using is if it's an odd application that can be difficult to source.

I would absolutely use them. My stash of red and blue CQ wix filters are about the same age. If you decide not to use them you can dispose of them by sending them to me. I'll pay the shipping.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I would not use them, Especially since that is a very common application, and brand-new 2017-production filters are very easy to get.

The only time old filters are worth using is if it's an odd application that can be difficult to source.

I would agree if they were in bad shape, but they are in brand new condition.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I would absolutely use them. My stash of red and blue CQ wix filters are about the same age. If you decide not to use them you can dispose of them by sending them to me. I'll pay the shipping.

I'm going to keep them, especially since the CQ are made by Purolator now. I see the same filter is $3.69 at AAP so it's a budget filter but being Wix made I trust it far more than a Puro.

The ones with a silicone ADBV are likely the CQ Blue (blue letting vs red) and those are the premium filter. The ones withthe red llettering are the lower tier filter. Red is similar to a Napa Silver where the Blue is similar to the Napa Gold. I'm almost all out of my stash of Wix made CQ blue.

The Affinia CQ Blues are identical to Wix/NAPA Gold filters-they would be good for at least 7500 miles, 10K would be doable if your OLM allows it, on a clean engine.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The Affinia CQ Blues are identical to Wix/NAPA Gold filters-they would be good for at least 7500 miles, 10K would be doable if your OLM allows it, on a clean engine.

Yes, if they are CQ Blue, 10,000 miles is doable, if the CQ Red, 5,000 miles is about the max I would do.

Thanks all. I just double checked the stash and I have two CQ blues and one CQ red left. I used up one CQ red from this batch and ran it for 8K last time, wish I had saved it to do a cut and post with it, but this was pre BITOG for me. I'm glad I can save the rest of them in confidence now.

The OCI on my car is one year or 10K mile, hence my question. My car has ~110K on it now, so what is considered "clean"? I'm guessing doing an oil analysis on it is the only way to find out.

Originally Posted By: Peter_480

The OCI on my car is one year or 10K mile, hence my question. My car has ~110K on it now, so what is considered "clean"? I'm guessing doing an oil analysis on it is the only way to find out.

Unless you do a lot of short trips (especially in winter) then I doubt your car engine isn't clean inside.

Since they aren't rusty, use them. I would trust an 8 year old WIX in good visual shape more than a brand new Purolator the way things have been going lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back