Recommended OCI per time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. When my 1st gen Cummins was my daily driver it was averaging 22-24k miles per year. I run pretty close to ideal driving conditions: 35 miles each way to work, 80% highway. Running delo 400 15w40 w/ Donaldson dbl filter I was changing oil about every 8k (early I know) or 5 months.

Now that I'm driving the Tacoma daily and the dodge only gets driven twice a week, it will only see 8-10k per year. With modern oils having no problem going 15k + miles these days, does the 6-8 month time for OCI's still stand? With my driving conditions are the acidic problems from long time OCI's a concern?

Should I stick to 8 month max OCI for the dodge, or could I stretch it more? Thanks

I just did a 3.6 year 1,150 mi OCI on my 2000 ford 7.3L. Sample was fine. I can post it when I get home of you're interested.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Change it once a year on a nice day ...

... and don't forget to lube the chassis?

That's obsolete advice. It's been quite a while since many manufacturers have switched to a two year maximum time, and it's easy to see that being extended further with existing high TBN oils.

It's actually the same mileage or up to 2k more and a step change in what he has been doing - why don't you offer your plan and not consider this guy deals with change like most of us do ...

Originally Posted By: madibob
I just did a 3.6 year 1,150 mi OCI on my 2000 ford 7.3L. Sample was fine. I can post it when I get home of you're interested.

I'd also like to see that. Also interested in knowing if it's a short tripper or just sits around between longer drives

You have UOA, so the better answer is no one knows! For all you know, you have a leaky injector or fouled out O2 sensor, etc. Without UOA you can't tell and often times an engine won't throw a CEL.

Originally Posted By: spencerdiesel
Hey all. When my 1st gen Cummins was my daily driver it was averaging 22-24k miles per year. I run pretty close to ideal driving conditions: 35 miles each way to work, 80% highway. Running delo 400 15w40 w/ Donaldson dbl filter I was changing oil about every 8k (early I know) or 5 months.

Now that I'm driving the Tacoma daily and the dodge only gets driven twice a week, it will only see 8-10k per year. With modern oils having no problem going 15k + miles these days, does the 6-8 month time for OCI's still stand? With my driving conditions are the acidic problems from long time OCI's a concern?

Should I stick to 8 month max OCI for the dodge, or could I stretch it more? Thanks

You didn't specify but I'll presume the driving route will be nearly the same, just less trips due to using the Tacoma. So it still will get a good heat cycle when driven, right?

I'd say OFCI once a year. You could probably safely push past that, but you'd have to run UOAs to extend out past 10k miles. Pick a decent dino lube and good filter, change once a year, and worry about something else.

I've got an upcoming UOA from my Dmax; 3 years and 12k miles, but I'll not have it for a few months yet (to be changed this fall).

Correct, the truck sees extended periods of operation at full temp. I make sure any time it is driven it reaches sustained operating temp

Originally Posted By: spencerdiesel
Correct, the truck sees extended periods of operation at full temp. I make sure any time it is driven it reaches sustained operating temp

I haven't changed the oil in my Cummins since 2011. Oil doesn't get old just sitting.
When I start it, it gets to full operating temp and goes on a highway drive - no short trips.
I'll probably change it when it gets to 10,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back