Mobil 1 changed specs on 0W20 EP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I bought 15 bottles of M1 0W20 EP for the Camry at the AZ clearance sale.. I just looked for the Toyota specs.
When I bought the Escape it takes 5W20. The M1 bottle says meets Ford WSS-M2C930-A and WSS-M2C945-A.
The later spec meets the Escapes spec by Ford.

this is what I see now on M1's site. Those 2 Fords spec are not there. Another one is.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance#0W-20

I don't plan to run it in the Escape. It just caught my attention and got curious.

Ford WSS-M2C947-A is for 0w20 only;
Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A are both for 5w20 only;
Mobil EP oils follow that rule OK.
Not sure where the problem is.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Ford WSS-M2C947-A is for 0w20 only;
Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A are both for 5w20 only;
Mobil EP oils follow that rule OK.
Not sure where the problem is.

Not a problem just curious why the 0W20 bottles I bought have Ford WSS-M2C945-A and WSS-M2C930-A on it.

Initially, Ford did not have a specification for 0W-20 and so Mobil put the specification for 5W-20 on their 0W-20 jugs. When Ford eventually came out with the 0W-20 specification Mobil removed it from their jugs, but there was likely a time when both specifications existed on the jugs.

I have a stash of M1 AFE 0W-20 with only the 5W-20 specification on them.

Good chance that XOM knows more about motor oil than does FoMoCo, just as they probably know a little more about the same than does Toyota.
Go to the M1 site and see whether this oil is recommended for your Escape's diminutive turbo engine.
If it is, then no worries.
Bet that Motorcraft syn blend is a recommended oil and it's pretty mediocre.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Initially, Ford did not have a specification for 0W-20 and so Mobil put the specification for 5W-20 on their 0W-20 jugs. When Ford eventually came out with the 0W-20 specification Mobil removed it from their jugs, but there was likely a time when both specifications existed on the jugs.

Interesting. Thank you.
Definitely not running it in the Escape.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

How and does this condemnation apply to CP's Honda factory formulation. I used MC 5w-20 and it worked well in a prev. application as far as performance but never ran a UOA. Do you have a UOA to back up your claim or are you just going off someone else's UOAs? And is this for specific applications cause the design of the engine plays a role too. Can you elaborate? I'm hoping you are not basing this on categories being it is not a full synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

Interesting. Thank you.
Out of morbid curiosity, why?

Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

How and does this condemnation apply to CP's Honda factory formulation. I used MC 5w-20 and it worked well in a prev. application as far as performance but never ran a UOA. Do you have a UOA to back up your claim or are you just going off someone else's UOAs? And is this for specific applications cause the design of the engine plays a role too. Can you elaborate? I'm hoping you are not basing this on categories being it is not a full synthetic.

I don't know why he's saying it's mediocre. It's a great oil.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

I don't know why he's saying it's mediocre. It's a great oil.

This wasn't a condemnation, rather it was a description of what the oil really is, which is nothing special.
If you're okay with 14% NOACK mass loss as well as barely meeting the cold viscosity standard for the W end of the grade, then use this oil by all means.
My point was that there are better oils on the shelf at various price points.
WRT the CP HGMO, I don't think that the factory fill is the same as what you'd get or buy as service fill HGMO at the dealer. There is at least one VOA of the CP HGMO here and it isn't too inspiring.
The old Idemitsu HGMO looked to be a much more expensively formulated oil. I still have some of it and am slowly going through it in the newer Accord.
Nothing wrong with a mediocre oil that meets the appropriate specs, but you can do better for around the same money.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

Interesting. Thank you.
Out of morbid curiosity, why?

That came out wrong. Brain and fingers not working.

I have a stash of Castrol 5W20 Magnatec I am planning to run in the Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back