Some things I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, dad was down here today in his new to him 89' Dodge Ram with its 5.9 diesel. We were talking about days gone by. I still
recall buying coffee in a steel can. I can remember the local Nics Hot Dog Shoppe in our town; buying 2 hot dogs with the "works" for $2.50
smile.gif

Anyone else remember things like this?

HAPPY SUNDAY FOLKS

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Dude, coffee still comes in steel cans and hotdogs with the works are 2 for $2.00.
Not sure where your at but alot more changed than that.

Yeah, the real old days was when Oscar Meyer was in town once and had hot dogs for 25 cents each. I think that's basically their cost or actually below cost at the time.

Originally Posted By: car51
So, dad was down here today in his new to him 89' Dodge Ram with its 5.9 diesel. We were talking about days gone by. I still
recall buying coffee in a steel can. I can remember the local Nics Hot Dog Shoppe in our town; buying 2 hot dogs with the "works" for $2.50
smile.gif

HAPPY SUNDAY FOLKS

I still get hot dogs fur around $1 in expensive NJ.

We bought coffee in a steel can the other week.

I do like that classic ram body style. That is one thing you can't get anymore.

I remember cigarettes at $2 per carton, leaded regular Mobil at 6 gallons for $1 (Tennessee in 1971), Prestone antifreeze at $1.50/gallon, 5 MacDonald's hamburgers for $1, hamburger mixed with soy protein for $0.60/pound (ate it in grad school), Kraft Mac and Cheese at $0.20 a box......

I remember when a can of coffee was a real pound of coffee! I bought my first new car in 1971 for $1700 including tax (AMC Gremlin!!!). That was also the same amount my last year in a private liberal arts college cost (BOTH semesters including room, board and tuition). Placde is now close to $50,000/year!

I remember a burger, fries and a drink, and getting change back.
Gas was 19.9 a gallon. Smokey Bear reports were constant on the CB.
And I was using Valvoline Racing Oil in my Pinto. No air, no power anything, and a 4 speed. 0-60 in about a day and a half.

Last edited:
smile.gif

HAPPY SUNDAY FOLKS

I remember a coin operated hog dog machine along the parkway in CT that would push two prongs through the wrapper, bun and hot dog to cook it. A minute or two latter it would drop into the slot below and you have a hot dog to eat. I would guess 1960s.

I remember the TV stations signing off at night and looking at a circle with the channel number in the middle of it. And people waiting on line for gas during the odd even rationing days. Fortunately I never had to wait, and could fill up anytime I wanted.
smile.gif
I could go on and on...

I recall the coffee's like Maxwell House and Folgers came in steel cans; nowadays they are "plastic cans" LOL!

Anyone remember when Valvoline "all climate" and other oils were available in gallons?

I still recall our old post office (built in 1870) had tons of P.O. Box's as I had one
smile.gif

Jim: my dad is 66 and is doing well
smile.gif

you dudes are really very young. I remember slice of pizza and a coke was 25 cents,
cup of coffee in Horn and hardart automats was 5 cents. both in NEW YORK CITY!!!

smile.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Likely most important line in this thread. Treasure this, no matter how long, life is too short.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

smile.gif

Likely most important line in this thread. Treasure this, no matter how long, life is too short.

Thank you sir
smile.gif

I visit him every other weekend
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I remember the TV stations signing off at night and looking at a circle with the channel number in the middle of it. And people waiting on line for gas during the odd even rationing days. Fortunately I never had to wait, and could fill up anytime I wanted.
smile.gif
I could go on and on...

I'm with you DP.
And what 3 channels????

I remember buying 22 ammo by the round at the local store for like two rounds for $0.03 to go squirrel hunting. You could buy 12 ga the same way but don't remember the price.

Originally Posted By: beanoil

smile.gif

Thank you sir
smile.gif

I visit him every other weekend
smile.gif

Really wish I lived closer to my folks. With about 4,500 miles between us, I only get to see them once a year, if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back