NetGear vs. TP-Link Cable Modem / WiFi Combo Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my search for an all-in-one combo unit that has DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem AND dual band (2.4ghz/5ghz) Wifi that is on the Compatibility List for Wide Open West, I have narrowed it down to two units:

NetGear C3700 (N600) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Dual Band WiFi Router (2.4Ghz/5Ghz)
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C3700.aspx

vs.

TP-Link CR700 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Dual Band WiFi Router (2.4Gz/5Ghz)
http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5514_Archer-CR700.html

Any networking gurus know if one of these brands is more reliable than the other? For reference the premises is 2250 sq ft 1.5 story typical subdivision house, 5/8" drywall 2x4" wall studs etc. Open floor design so it's sort of WiFi friendly. Unit will be located upstairs because that's where the coax (cable) outlet for data is.

I'd definitely avoid a combo unit and use two boxes. The TP-Link TC-7610 / 7620 / 7650 modems are well reviewed. Link it with a high performance open-source compatible router like the Linksys WRT1900ACS.

Amphibious cars, shampoo with conditioner, the "spork" -- all trying to do two things at once, but neither of them well.

I currently have a Netgear N300 and I had a tp-link before that. Like you I wanted less boxes laying around so I bought a combo unit. The Netgear has been in service for about a year and within the last few months has been disconnecting WiFi about once every 2 days forcing me to unplug it and plug it again to get WiFi working again. Connecting directly by cat cable still has internet so I added a router running from the combo unit just to avoid buying a new unit, seems to be working just fine even when the Netgear loses signal. If you do buy a combo unit I would recommend the added 3-4 yr protection plan for a few bucks Just in case.

Only "combo" units worth their salt are enterprise branch-office deployment pieces from the likes of Cisco and Juniper. And usually they are separate hardware inside a single chassis. My ASA5506-X has three different pieces of hardware in it for example.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Really want the smaller footprint of a combo. Why do they s_ck?

As long as everything is going good, the combo units are fine. But once there is a problem, the combo units can be more difficult to diagnose (at least initially anyway), not to mention the combo units are more expensive if a hardware replacement ends up being the only way to address the original problem.

If you have separate units, your diagnosing duties are usually simpler in the initial stages because you only need to narrow down where the problem could be - incoming/outgoing network vs. wifi - and then go to work on that piece of hardware for subsequent diagnosing tasks. Should a hardware replacement be your only option, then you are only on the hook for that piece of hardware's cost, as opposed to the whole combo unit's cost, which will obviously be more $$.

If the ISP is providing the equipment, there is some argument for a combo unit, especially for the technologically illiterate or extreme hard-arses ("it's their equipment, so THEY better send someone out here to troubleshoot this issue!!"). But if you plan on doing any of the setup, troubleshooting, etc. of the hardware yourself, and especially if you are the providing the equipment, you will generally be better off avoiding the combo units IMHO.

Combo units have limited wifi range from my experience. Id go separate too. I like dlink but between netgear and tp link id go netgear. Im using a thompson modem and dlink router. Works great.

I'm going to check what Cnet says about each of these units. They can't be that bad.

I'm going to check what Cnet says about each of these units. They can't be that bad.

Everyone loves the idea of minimizing the number of wall-warts and cheaply-made boxes filled with future garbage we have to organize and maintain. A combo unit appeals to everyone; and so many have thought exactly what you're thinking, and have decided to do some research because surely there has to be a consumer product made by someone, available somewhere, that does this, that and the other thing reliably to an acceptable standard. As soon as someone makes one of these devices (in a consumer form factor at a consumer price) I will be first in line.

Combo units are like those nasty TV/VCR/DVD units from walmart from the 90s, or those printer/scan/fax machines. Diagnosing gets way worse and you lose the failsafe of being able to run one computer off the modem directly if all else fails (yet the modem survives).

I have a pair of TP link cheapo wifi units running DD-WRT and they're great. Both are connected via cat5 and have the same SSID so they can cover my oddly shaped house.

It's one of those things that comes down to how much control vs convenience you want. I get clutter but why not take the opportunity to mount some of that stuff behind/ under your desk, on the wall, etc.

I linked an article here on upgrading residential WiFi awhile back. Take a look at my previous posts if interested. The authors main point was to go with commercial units which are built to a far better standard, have better firmware to resist intrusion, better radios & antennas, and actually capable of the BW they advertise.

Makes sense.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I linked an article here on upgrading residential WiFi awhile back. Take a look at my previous posts if interested. The authors main point was to go with commercial units which are built to a far better standard, have better firmware to resist intrusion, better radios & antennas, and actually capable of the BW they advertise.

Makes sense.

Which has been my advice on here a number of times
wink.gif

Well he1l's bells, I may just keep getting by with what I have then.
grin.gif
Arris DG860 Modem for $10/mo rent from Wide Open West and my own Cisco/Linksys WRT120N 2.4Ghz Wifi router. Speed varies from 65 Mbps down to 26 Mbps on my phone depending on where I am in the house, and stays a constant 65 Mbps on the laptop which lives on the dinette table. However, my internet speed I buy from WOW is only 30Mpbs so these speeds are probably okay? It's just that the 2.4Ghz band in my 'hood is getting crowded so I suspect there's some latency creeping in from cross talk.

SKYNET is me. Occassionally someone will sprout up on channel 4, which would cause cross talk with mine. It doesn't look too bad in this shot, however.

Well he1l's bells, I may just keep getting by with what I have then.
grin.gif
Arris DG860 Modem for $10/mo rent from Wide Open West and my own Cisco/Linksys WRT120N 2.4Ghz Wifi router. Speed varies from 65 Mbps down to 26 Mbps on my phone depending on where I am in the house, and stays a constant 65 Mbps on the laptop which lives on the dinette table. However, my internet speed I buy from WOW is only 30Mpbs so these speeds are probably okay? It's just that the 2.4Ghz band in my 'hood is getting crowded so I suspect there's some latency creeping in from cross talk.

SKYNET is me. Occassionally someone will sprout up on channel 4, which would cause cross talk with mine. It doesn't look too bad in this shot, however.

You might give nSSIDer a day in court if you're concerned about others networks. It's a pretty slick util for that sort of thing.

Got a Motorola Arris Surfboard SBG6580 that has worked fine for me . It got real good reviews when I was searching for it.

I cant see getting a combo unit either.

I use a separate TP Link AC1750 router and TP Link DOCSIS 3.0 Modem.
Very happy with both.
Heck, I just noticed right now Amazon has the modem HALF price on 8-14 @ 8:15 Central Time (I think, im on vacation in a different time zone *L*)
AS you know, ship and sold by Amazon, prices change hourly .. as of right now, $34.88
Amazon Modem Sale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back