Let's Talk Zero Turn Mowers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So mowing my yard and grandmothers next door, which both have many obstacles and rough terrain. I'm wearing out my little Craftsman 13.5hp rear engine rider (think Forrest Gump here...) in a hurry. It is to the point where it's getting bent up; it isn't even cutting right anymore. Much as I hate to spend the money, I think I could benefit from a zero turn. Looking for something smaller say 36" or 38" cut.

I have not gone to any local dealers yet, but looking for suggestions on what to look for. Was looking at the Scag Liberty Z, 36" cut and 18hp Kawasaki. Seems to fit my needs, but any other models you guys suggest looking at?

Scag Liberty 48 inch I own absolutely love it. I wouldn't hesitate to get another or find another brand as well built for the money.

ZT are really expensive - next logical step might be a proper 42" lawn tractor - some of them a notch or two from bottom have a cast iron axle, better deck - lots more HP - hydro-trans - and yes... short turn radius ...
probably should sell the rider while you still can ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
ZT are really expensive - next logical step might be a proper 42" lawn tractor - some of them a notch or two from bottom have a cast iron axle, better deck - lots more HP - hydro-trans - and yes... short turn radius ...
probably should sell the rider while you still can ...

I have thought about a decent tractor, but like I mentioned there's a million obstacles in both yards. If I'm going for a new mower, might as well go all out.

Now, looking a little more John Deere has some homeowner Zero-Turn options for under 3K. I know they won't be as good as say a Scag, but I think it's worth a look.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
That's allot - I only have 22 trees ...

lol.gif
01.gif

I should specify better, lol... Roughly 2/3 acre combined, multiple trees, irregular flowerbed thing in the middle of all or it, and a woodsy bumpout in the back that is a pita to maneuver around. Simply put, I'm lazy and want it to be done faster.

Wright makes some nice equipment from its Maryland location. You should have a nearby dealer in PA. But Toro really offers the most ZTR choices in the under 46 inch size. A Kawasaki motor is great, but do you really need that like a commercial customer would?

Never thought about a Toro, they do seem to have some great options. Local dealer sells Toro, Scag, Exmark, Wright, and Cub Cadet. I think I might have to do some window shopping this weekend. Off to a good start, thanks fellas!

under an acre? Buy the cheapest Toro you can. I owned a Dixie Chopper and an Exmark, both were great but way overbuilt for a 1 acre yard once a week.

If you don't have too steep of hills try out a Toro zero turn with steering wheel. They are pretty amazing in functionality and stable on hills. If you have steep hills need to make sure it has a heavier duty transmission that starts to get up near $4,000.

Ariens from home depot for that light duty work.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outd...5axZ2ciZ1z0kp7g

Most zero turn mowers are made for large yards (multiple acres) or lawn service companies.

3/4 acre will do nothing to this guy.

There used be be a deal to use a home depot coupon for 10% off and also a HD credit card for 5% off. That should knock the price down.

Last edited:
I've had a SCAG Freedom Z 52" deck 19 HP Kawasaki for the last 5 years. It's quite the machine. I'd recommend the SCAG. I'm not gentile with it at all, I've got 2 acres with a pond and some tough and rough areas. It goes like a champ.

Dont forget a house to put it in will cost just as much as the mower. What kills these things is being left out in the weather.

I would go with the
Scag as well. You would save money on something from a big box store in the short run, but you would be in the same spot you are now with the Craftsman in a few short years. Then you will be out the money you spent on it, plus have to spend for a new one. Buy something good now and take care of it, you will have something that lasts 20 or more years. Are there any used machines at the dealers in your area ? A preowned commercial model could be an excellent value.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
If you don't have too steep of hills try out a Toro zero turn with steering wheel. They are pretty amazing in functionality and stable on hills. If you have steep hills need to make sure it has a heavier duty transmission that starts to get up near $4,000.

I have a Exmark Quest S-Series Front Steer that I use to trim with before I hit it with the big machines.
Great mower with the 708cc and it really is a Toro. You do look like a prized horses A using it though
smile.gif

If you are old bloke though that steering will eat on you. Great for hills as you said

If you can, get the Hydro-Gear ZT2800 transmission. They have the spin on oil filters and easy to service. You may have to go $4000+ to do that. Otherwise they are maintenance free and cannot change the oil without taking the transmission off and turning upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back