I saw a windshield? fly off of a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday while driving on I-95 a car in front of me had something fly off at highway speed, i was not too far behind the car and at first thought it was something like the lid of one of those huge tupperware containers. But when it hit the ground (luckily not in one of the lanes of traffic) it shattered into a million pieces. The car it came off of immediately pulled over and i was only able to glance in my mirror, so i wasnt able to see what in the heck happened. My first thought was it was his sunroof, but my better half swore it was his windshield. If it was in fact his windshield...umm, how did that happen?

Wasn't windshield, those are laminated so they don't shatter into pieces as you describe. Could be sunroof....T-Top, side window.

Last edited:
How old was the car? Maybe the entire support structure that is used to glue the windshield was badly rusted and that allowed the windshield to come loose.

Do you remember what kind of vehicle it was? We have seen a few of the panoramic type sunroofs do that or else shatter when a load is carried on the roof.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Wasn't windshield, those are laminated so they don't shatter into pieces as you describe. Could be sunroof....T-Top, side window.

This.

Tempered glass crumbles into small pieces. Laminated windshields largely stay together. Cracked but stays together.

no idea what kind of car it was, I was too mesmerized watching this object fly into the air. My first thought was that it was a sunroof, it makes sense with how it launched itself off the top of the car.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
There was a certain make/model of car that had a problem with the moon roof exiting the vehicle at speed, can't remember what it was but I bet that's what you saw.

One or two Hyundai/Kia products

Santa Fe (sport?) I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back