Info and opinions on husky tool boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My health has resumed to being good enough to go back to being an auto mechanic. I had a really old cheap box I bought from the tool guy when I sold back my snap on box and other stuff . I am looking for a new box. nothing fancy just reliable. I don't want to spend what a tool truck tool box requires. That being said I am interested in the husky boxes. Any info or personal experience with them is appreciated. Looking at a flat top model so I have a work area of sorts to.

I have a husky box. I'm not a professional but I like it just fine. Had it a few years now. I have the tall one with a lid on top so no experience with a work top version. That's the one I want to get next since I need more room.

I bought one off a kijiji posting two years ago for a good price. Mine is stainless steel. They atr of OK quality.

Check out the boxes at harbor freight as well.

Flat tops attract cultch. Control it so it's yours and not everyone else's. You'll find coffee cups and other junk there.

I saw a couple of different wood top Husky boxes at Home Depot yesterday. They looked good and seemed to be decent quality. I think the Harbor Freight boxes are a much better deal though, especially for storing smaller flat tools like pliers, wrenches and screwdrivers and other tools for mechanic work. Personally I think the Husky boxes have too many big deep drawers for storing bulky tools like circular saws and half inch drills, etc. If I were looking for a good deal on a new box I would buy HF. You might also find a deal on a good used box on Craigs List, if it is not stolen or damaged and is a legit deal.

Husky used to be made by Waterloo before they started sourcing them overseas. I have a few Waterloo made boxes (one Husky and one Craftsman) and I have no complaints about them.

Ck out the harbor freight boxes. They are very well built,ball bearing slides etc. I used one for several years till I out grew it. Its at home now.

Last edited:
I got a super deal on a husky box for the garage a few years ago. I like it. I like my ball bearing craftsman griplatch ones better.

What I don't like about the husky is that it's a friction hold shut, not a physical latching. Id want that plus a good set of locks.

+1 you want draws with ball bearing slides and a mechanical latching. I have seen a few boxes go arse over tea kettle when the draws started coming out, one guy got hurt when a 5 ft long tall box went over that way.

I know the harbor freight boxes are good. Very good in fact for the money. I was leaning towards husky because I can get a deal at Home Depot .

Bought one 10 years or so ago while working in the skilled trades. Employer sent me on the road traveling and I needed a smaller one to take along. Good box for the money. Good choice for a hobbyist/home owner. It will get you by for a few years or so in a commercial application.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes

That Yukon box looks pretty decent compared to the Husky...

Any idea who actually makes the husky? Is that video of the one they currently sell?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Any idea who actually makes the husky? Is that video of the one they currently sell?

Was a part number given on the box?

There is a benefit to brick and mortar stores - you can go visit and investigate.

I have one. The only issue was one of the locks doesn't lock and they sent me a new lock that I haven't installed yet. I don't lock it, so I'm not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back