Unsealed oil filter boxes & people who cheat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at a nearby Walmart, I picked up a spare oil filter for my old K car, Mopar MO-090. I always open the box if it not sealed, to look at it, and good thing i did so this morning.
Someone had stuck a Fram PH-16 into the box, I assume so that they could purchase the Mopar, in the Fram box, maybe through the self-checkout.
Some chiseler saved maybe $ 3.50 by doing this, if this is how it went down.
What a shame that some people are like this - risk the embarrassment & more (I would think this is a crime to do this deliberately) over such a petty thing.

I wonder if the manufacturers are going toward sealed packaging, maybe with a see-through window, which would deprive honest people of the chance to look at it & make a decision.
It's a small thing, but it really struck me - what a dumb thing to do.

Seen that numerous times unfortunately with oil filters, used oil returned in new oil jugs, clothes that have clearly been worn (possibly even re-washed!), electronics that have been damaged by user handling and returned because "they didnt like/didnt need it anymore".

Its a sign of the times.

So much for the cameras...
Disgusting.
Do you know why the USPS went to tracking many years ago?
Nobody got anything- the world is full of crooks.

Originally Posted By: tomlct
What a shame that some people are like this

It depends on how much Karma effects the people; some people are immune to it. Myself, Karma is brutal to me, so I quit doing stuff like that. Not worth the flack from Karma.

You notice how I write Karma with a capital K ? I wouldn't dare use a lower case.
shocked2.gif

Mismarked items are a problem. They slip by cashiers because they just don't know and could care less.

At a Dixieline home improvement store, a customer purchased an expensive looking hand carved mahogany front door with an arched top and a very expensive looking stained glass insert along with huge brass hinges, lock, deadbolt and other hardware including a shaped door frame. The price came up $99. The cashier rang it up without so much as a flicker of interest and the customer and his friend hauled it out into the parking lot. Just as a wild uninformed guess I'd say the brass hardware alone would put the price over $99 to say nothing of the wood itself or the carving. I said something to the manager about what just happened but he said he'd get back to me, that he was busy for a moment and walked away. Fifteen minutes later I left.

Mopar to a Fram Extra Guard? Oddly, that was an upgrade. The CHxxx series Frams have glass fibers blended into the media, and the Mopar lacks that cool feature (Fram has better efficiency as a result).

But yeah, lots of cheats, shoplifters, nuts out there; seen this a lot.

Last edited:
Try the WMT in Green Acres, lol. That store is a real hoot! I'd like to make in a week what walks out of there in a day.

Noticed it with people switching boxes with the Ultras and Extra Guards. I also opened a sealed box for a cabin filter and noticed someone's used, dirty old filter in there. And back in March I picked up some Castrol Edge EP 10w30 that was on sale that I think was used. I called Castrol about it and they requested the jug of oil to analyze what was in it. I will call them tomorrow for an update. Called last week and they said they would call me when they know something. But this has been going on for a few weeks.

Typical Walmart shenanigans. Inspect everything you buy there.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I don't get WM theft. They have cameras everywhere.

Every time I go to Walmart I usually hear a half dozen times the loud speaker system saying "security, check zone xyz".

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Mismarked items are a problem. They slip by cashiers because they just don't know and could care less.

At a Dixieline home improvement store, a customer purchased an expensive looking hand carved mahogany front door with an arched top and a very expensive looking stained glass insert along with huge brass hinges, lock, deadbolt and other hardware including a shaped door frame. The price came up $99. The cashier rang it up without so much as a flicker of interest and the customer and his friend hauled it out into the parking lot. Just as a wild uninformed guess I'd say the brass hardware alone would put the price over $99 to say nothing of the wood itself or the carving. I said something to the manager about what just happened but he said he'd get back to me, that he was busy for a moment and walked away. Fifteen minutes later I left.

I have a friend that use to work as a loss prevention associate at a Sears store. He said a few people got away with sticking a printed UPC sticker for a much cheaper model by placing it on a much more expensive TV.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: tomlct
What a shame that some people are like this

It depends on how much Karma effects the people; some people are immune to it. Myself, Karma is brutal to me, so I quit doing stuff like that. Not worth the flack from Karma.

You notice how I write Karma with a capital K ? I wouldn't dare use a lower case.
shocked2.gif

Who's karma ?

I was at my local Walmart yesterday and saw a Mobil 1 filter in a Fram extra guard box. Had to think about that one for a while.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
Yep, ex bought me case of used motor oil once. No refund no exchange on that jem.

Let me guess how that works.

Buy oil, come back with used oil as a'return'. Get money back. FREE oil.

OR

Buy oil, come back with used oil, claim you picked up the wrong grade and exchange. FREE oil.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
And if it was a BITOG hand - they might of had their mouth on it ...
sick.gif

Who ever heard of sloppy 2nds with an oil filter ...
lol.gif

I picked up some of the havoline ds that orilleys had on clearance. 2 out of seven jugs were opened. I suspect that someone put conventional in them, they are both the same level and both a quarter inch lower than the other five jugs. Clearance stuff cannot be returned.

Some years ago I was picking up parts at Fry's for a PC build. I noticed that the seal on the CPU box was broken. I opened the box at the register, found a bent pin and a scorch mark, and asked for another CPU in a sealed box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back