Installed new sway bar bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, what an improvement. After 9 years on the stock rubber bushings, they were shot. Crumbly and super soft, no wonder I had a persistent clunk over bumps as the sway bar rattled up and down in its bushings instead of turning and flexing like it should. I went with the blue Moog thermoplastic bushings and greased them with Sil-Glyde per a tip I read somewhere else to reduce the chance of squeaking when switching from rubber to thermoplastic. Steering response is improved, no more clunking over bumps or when accelerating while turning, and so much less body roll! Makes the car feel much more sportier and makes me feel much more in control, both things I like.

Installation of the driver's side was fine, just had to crawl under the car a bit and fit my hand in some tight spots to wrench the bolts out. Luckily they came right out with a squirt of PBlaster. Passenger side was way worse, however. Much less clearance to fit a wrench. Used the 12 point box end and probably had to take it on and off about 100 times turning it barely any each turn before running out of space. Luckily, with the thermoplastic bushings I'm banking on never having to do it again on the front. However, now I'm really considering tackling the rear sway bar as well. I'm sure the bushings are just as bad and could use a replacement.

I'm a big believer in changing all of them. Nothing I've ever done, short of replacing a bad shock, has contributed more to ride quality and that "feels new" feeling. The other is the control arm bushings. Benefits out of all proportion to the modest cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back