Bosch Distance Plus vs. FRAM Tough Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is based off of sale filters?
The TG. But the Ultra is always worth the extra coins if you get them on sale or off EBay.

I currently have a Bosch D3422 installed on my SL2. I will cut it in a few months. The louvers seemed OK. I will cut the media off the tube to get a good view.

I just scored some Tough Guards from the Wal-Mart clearance @ $1.50 each.

Last edited:
The TG has that textured grip end, making installation and removal easier. They use round holes, so no risk of the slots not being fully-opened (apparently, it's difficult to properly design louvers, and only Hastings/Baldwin seems to get them right every time, but they make them differently)

That Bosch D+ is like an M1, a high-capacity, synthetic blended filter. Basically Purolator's counterpart to Champion's M1. They do not tear in service. Also, the blue can and red gasket look pretty, if that matters to you/

Just get whichever ones are newer more recent production
smile.gif

I'm going contrarian on this one-D+ FTW because of its' extremely thick can, and metal end caps. The D+ has not been shown to have the tearing problems of lesser Purolators, and there have been isolated, rare occurrences of fiber end cap distortion of the Tough Guard in cold weather, short trip, high condensation conditions, as well as rare assembly issues:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2759780/1
That said, I would (& DO) use the TG, but in a high moisture environment (like a marine application), I would use the D+ over it.

Both great filters, but I would go with the superior Fram Ultra for an extra 5 bucks a year.

I have cut open both - both cans are stout - but M1 media looks thicker - I have never been able to tear M1 but have BD ...

The last Fram TG I bought, which was the last interval was $5.94 or so. So this morning I go to WM and they have bunch of them for a buck. They have two in the size I need but no price. Take it over to the scanner and it says $6.67. So passed on those.

Picked up some Gumout Octane Booster which was marked $2.84 but online $2.24. Tried for a price match but the girl said it's out of stock online. So she had to call for the manager who then approved it since only .60 difference. Whew! Plus good reviews of it online. Since the tank is only 13 gallons I just used half the bottle, 5 ounces and topped of the tank. Only adds about ten cents per gallon. Acceleration seems smoother. I heard a little pinging last night so wanted a little booster.

I get Fram Ultra for several vehicles and Hengst for Cruze off eBay ... really good prices and like to have stock already in my cabinet when a vehicle comes due ...

Yeah - when Wally cleared them out - grabbed all that fit - and even went back and got some for the Briggs & Stratton ...

Tough call based on performance. The D+ is supposed to be a higher capacity filter (for particle holding), but most do not ever get to the point where that becomes an issue. The D+ uses metal end caps, I know it really is not a big deal, but I like metal end caps. They are made by Purolator, but have not shown any tearing issues. They do have louvers in the center tube, and I have seen several with very poor openings (but can't see the other side). Wish they had stayed with the regular holes. They are also getting very hard to find (who even sells them in store any more?), and are expensive when you can find them ($10+).

The TG is readily available, not too expensive (although the "new" ones are very close in price to the XG). Great filtering efficiency, and uses holes in the center tube. Fiber end caps could be a negative to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back