Jack stand/ bottle jack combos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not liking the offset distance between the bottle jack and jackstand lift spot. That would create rubbing as that little connection piece is torqued.
Maybe overcome by applying lithium grease to the inboard side of the jackstand shaft.

I use jack stands in pairs. I'd rather use my current setup, a good floor jack and jack stands. I also think jacking a car with a good floor jack is safer, and easier. Then if I want to jack from under my rear pumpkin, I can with a floor jack, I wouldn't dare try it with that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I use jack stands in pairs. I'd rather use my current setup, a good floor jack and jack stands. I also think jacking a car with a good floor jack is safer, and easier. Then if I want to jack from under my rear pumpkin, I can with a floor jack, I wouldn't dare try it with that.

This device needs to be used in pairs too. Notice the jackstand top isn't a circular shape like a floor jack has. Also, its a problem that the bottom can't move slightly on wheels like a floor jack is designed to do. I'm giving it a thumbs down. Careful with this one. This combo jackstand/bottle-jack is stabilized at the bottom by the broad base, which means the vehicle must shift at the top slightly as the vehicle moves upward in a slight arc.

Last edited:
I have 4 of them in the larger size to lift my Montero all 4 wheels off the ground and they work great. You will want to check ebay out as mine were under $50 each delivered from Pepboys. Only thing better for my SUV would be an actual lift. Very stable and well built.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

This device needs to be used in pairs too. Notice the jackstand top isn't a circular shape like a floor jack has. Also, its a problem that the bottom can't move slightly on wheels like a floor jack is designed to do. I'm giving it a thumbs down. Careful with this one. This combo jackstand/bottle-jack is stabilized at the bottom by the broad base, which means the vehicle must shift at the top slightly as the vehicle moves upward in a slight arc.

Exactly, that would be the only way to use it. Although I bet there are people who'd try and use it as a floor jack. Then if you were to use it in pairs you'd have to slowly go from side to side, lifting a little at a time. When I do brake work for example, I want both wheels on the axle in the air. Tire rotations, all four in the air. Again imo a good floor jack and jack stands will be safer, and faster.

spk2000, using 4 like you do avoids the arc-lift geometry issues. I'd keep the inboard side of the jackstand shaft dry-lubed or lithium greased to avoid binding there, as the torque from lift produces loads of around ~400 lbs in that small area per ton of lift.

Couple things that the above commenters should consider: (I should have also mentioned this would be used on my Jeep. I can't see it working with my truck with an exception of the rear end.)

If you pick a vehicle up by it's axle tube, the jack shouldn't move at all. Place it below the axle tube and lift straight up. The typical trolley jack needs wheels and moves because the cylinder is perpendicular to the lifting direction. You can get a bigger cylinder and higher lifting distances with this design too.

As far as the design, (the offset between the jack and the stand), it definitely comes at a cost. 6000 lbs isn't much for a bottle jack that size. Just looking at Harbor Freight's site, a jack around that diameter is rated for 8000 lbs.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
As far as the design, (the offset between the jack and the stand), it definitely comes at a cost. 6000 lbs isn't much for a bottle jack that size. Just looking at Harbor Freight's site, a jack around that diameter is rated for 8000 lbs.

That offset produces what we engineers call "wing root bending moment", if this was an airplane wing. Anyway, Statics 101 engineering. That moment must be opposed by large lateral force on the shaft, which creates a high-friction condition on the jackstand shaft. (The bottle jack is fine.) Like I said, dry-lube or lithium grease and it should be fine. Also keep it clean.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

That offset produces what we engineers call "wing root bending moment", if this was an airplane wing. Anyway, Statics 101 engineering. That moment must be opposed by large lateral force on the shaft, which creates a high-friction condition on the jackstand shaft. (The bottle jack is fine.) Like I said, dry-lube or lithium grease and it should be fine. Also keep it clean.

I would have to see (or hear) it in action to determine whether this is an actual issue or not.

Problem with that is the minimum lift height. So you already have to get all four corners decently high up already.

I have used these one jack to lift one wheel and had no issues. It is solid and stable.

I understand the statics and forces applied but it still works fine. Mine are the larger size rated for 6,000 lbs each so they are way overkill for my suv. I think it weighs slightly under 5,000 lbs total vehicle weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back