Who said vintage oil is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably is a pinko.
Hey buddy you better be careful I just offered $500.12........ just kidding.......

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Where will you keep it since you don't have a garage?

It isn't his- a friend is buying it.

Apparently the 20 weight is a multi grade 20-20W
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91
Your friend has good taste. That oil would be great for both of his vehicles.

Good point Red, my dad has few quarts of QS 30 this vintage

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Where will you keep it since you don't have a garage?

If I WAS crazy enough to buy the SAE 30; you forget I have a shed my dad and I built complete with a ramp. I have a barrel pump also

Not just could be, but is. Quaker State and Pennzoil were Pennsylvania crude based oils until the late 80's. Kendall and Amalie were until the latter mid nineties.

back in the day when straight weight ruled, 20W was popular in the winter.
$2.27 a quart for an old, outdated group 1 straight-weight oil vs a modern multi-grade oil on sale at Napa today for $1.99 a quart plus tax ='S no thanks.

The 20W-20 would be perfect for any application calling for a thirty grade as would the SAE 30.
Five hundred bucks for fifty five gallons of oil would be pretty reasonable.
From what I could see, this looks like API SE, so a fairly obsolete spec that worked when we used it back in the seventies and early eighties.
These would not be long drain oils but for the dollars the days of 3K drains could be brought back to life.
OTOH, there have recently been better deals on more modern and arguably better oils, like the clearance Havoline from O'Reilly's or the clearance Rotella T5 from AZ.

$2.20'ish per quart.

Don't you guys in the USA get $1 per quart deals on modern oil now and then?

Last edited:
I was was thinking that a fresh drum of Delo 400 SAE 20 or 30 would be around $650 USD plus tax from the bulk dealer.
The additive package may have settled on the vintage drums, turn them upside down for the drive home, unless you can find a really big paint shaker.

Originally Posted By: KL31
$2.20'ish per quart.

Don't you guys in the USA get $1 per quart deals on modern oil now and then?

Yes-Auto Zone--in December--hopefully again
Steve

This stuff is way overpriced and could even be a liability for the seller.

Offer $100 and use it to lube your diesel injection pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back