Oil for Dodge Caravan used for towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background info - I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan, 3.3 liter V6, 135,000 miles. I use this vehicle to tow a small trailer and equipment weighing about 1700 pounds. I have a trans cooler and change transmission fluid and filter frequently. I just got back from a trip to West Virginia where I was creeping up a mountain in lower gear with the tach at 5000 RPM. My little V6 is reliable but is a little short on power for mountains. I currently run Mobil 1 EP 5 w 30 and a Fram Ultra filter, changed yearly at 6000 miles.

Question - I was thinking about running Mobil 1 0w - 40 Euro Synthetic with the Fram Ultra filter. The oil is about the same price at Walmart. I thought a heavier oil would give better protection at 5000 RPM on a 20 degree grade. What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The motor oil is fine. I would be more concerned about the trans fluid. I would recommend Redline C+ over the usual ATF+4.

I just used what the manual said in my '05 with the 3.8.
5w-20 while towing a 1200 lb pop up camper (+ ~1000 lbs people and gear) several times a year (summer temps 100°F+), no engine problems in the over 80,000 miles I had it.
Coolant and transmission were my worries (especially the transmission).

Thanks to everyone for thier advice. I am going to measure the radiator and put the largest Hayden plate and fin trans cooler I can fit on the vehicle. I already have a small tube and fin " no name " trans cooler insalled by the RV dealer, that will be replaced. I want more trans cooling capacity for those mountains :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back