My next set of tires: 205/70R15 on a 2007 Corolla

OEM tires were 185/65R15 for the base model (what I have,) and 195/65R15 for the more common LE model. The base model looks better by the way.

So much sidewall looks clownish but I want that extra soft ride, that extra ground clearance (by about .8 inch)

I have chosen a set of Hankooks that weigh only 19lbs. and has a short tread width (thus negating the extra impact on fuel economy of a wider tire.)

Ground clearance will be 6.5 inches (almost like a crossover!)

So much extra sidwall!!!! YIPEEEE!!!!

Last edited:
Does it clear from the inner wheel arch when steering? What does the law tell about this oversizing ? In Europe we can't go more than +/-3% of the total wheel diameter. You're at +5.2% going from 195/65, +7.3% from 185/65 that you have, and almost +20% sidewall FYI

Last edited:
You need to make sure your turning clearance is ok before putting all 4 on. I'm not really sure that size will work

IMHO there will be some interference when steering and pushing down body... get a 205/70 R15 complete wheel and mount it on each corner, then steer and press body down to test. Before buying 4 tires...

Last edited:
I dont see why it wouldnt work. Its just a different trim on the same model.

And law about oversizing tires, thats a knee slapper. That wouldnt fly here; everybody and their grandfather wants a lifted pickup truck with 38" all terrain tires.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

It's 185/65 R15 (CE trim), 195/65 R15 (S or LE trim), 195/55 R16 (S model)

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

It's 185/65 R15 (CE trim), 195/65 R15 (S or LE trim), 195/55 R16 (S model)

Oh I didnt even fully read/process the title; I thought he was going from 185/65 to 195/65 which is almost nothing.
I don't think it will be a problem on a stock-sprung vehicle, but OP needs to run his front tires to lock and see how much clearance he has then.

Also, he should be aware that he will be traveling further than his odometer is reading. Speedometer will be well off and gas mileage will appear to tank. You'd have to apply a correction to any MPG calculations to get the real number.

Those particular Hankooks are JUNK.

Any tire with a narrow cross sectional width relative to the tire casing width is a cheap tire, using cheap construction by omitting
a better layout for the belts. They will not last as long and use a cheap tread compound that is lousy in wet weather. They will not ride as good compared to tires with better construction in the same size.

Plus you gotta devote added mental energy to your driving for the speedometer correction.

You can't judge by the opening of your wheel well, you have to measure where your struts & strut towers are. Most likely you will be rubbing something.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Those particular Hankooks are JUNK.

Any tire with a narrow cross sectional width relative to the tire casing width is a cheap tire, using cheap construction by omitting
a better layout for the belts. They will not last as long and use a cheap tread compound that is lousy in wet weather. They will not ride as good compared to tires with better construction in the same size.

Plus you gotta devote added mental energy to your driving for the speedometer correction.

How do you even know, since the OP never mentioned the model? (I assume they're 724s BTW)

I have a set of 724s on my benz in 75-series and hoo boy do they squeal on gentle corners. But they ride extremely well.

Cars are designed with clearance for snow chains, so if OP doesn't need them, I bet everything will work fine.

It's been my experience that going up 2 tire sizes is OK, but this is 3 - and I think there will be rubbing - very bad!

Plus, I doubt any retailer would sell/mount that size tire on the car - liability reasons.

And according to Discount Tire, that size doesn't fit - but they don't publish anything over 3% different in diameter even if there is room, and this is 7%

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Just install a speedo corrector

Going from 185/65 to 205/70 is a huge difference, and the downsides will outweigh the upsides to a point where it's not worth doing.

You should just go to the 195/65-15 size that was available on the higher Corollas. It will give you a little more sidewall that will be enough to give you a better ride.

Also, the choice of tire can make a difference on ride quality, too. What kind of tires do you have on now? How many miles on them?

Are your shocks in good shape? When is the last time they were replaced? Worn shocks will give you a rough ride. They wear gradually, so even though you might not notice poor ride and handling now, you may notice an improvement once you replace them
smile.gif

Going with 195/65 R15 is 6.4% SIDEWALL INCREASE
smile.gif
and choosing tires rhat provide comfortable ride will do the rest. Shocks also, maybe...

Last edited:
195/65/15 is "normal" size tyre for 00s base model compacts in Europe, can't see why would be different in NA. 205/70/15? That can't be standard size for any modern car, maybe for some older bigger cars or cargo vans?
Certainly it would look odd and rub on wheel arches.

Hope you didn't buy these oversized tires yet.

If you wait for labor day sale from discount tire, you might be able to repeat the 4th of july sale:

Quote:

Cooper CS3 195/65/15 T-rated set of 4 $51.04 after rebates

Then you'll have a common size, still oversize, and a decent sidewall.

Back