More Craigslist hilarity (as seller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few months ago, a friend of mine went back to Bulgaria to explore a development opportunity in his line of work and left his Super Tenere motorcycle and title with me in case he decided never to come back. Well, things worked out professionally and romantically for him, and he's never coming back. He instructed me to get a certain figure for him, and that I could keep any amount above that figure.

Would have bought it myself, except nothing about this bike spoke to me at all. So, I listed it on several different platforms including Craigslist. A lot of people responded, and I did my best to stage multiple encounters on a particular day that I actually had free time. This being Craigslist, I did everything I could to make the prospective buyers feel as comfortable as possible, and make all terms as clear as possible.

One individual who responded called me from a fairly infamous used car dealership around here. I pretty much ignored him, but he was incredibly insistent. I didn't like that he was a used car salesman, working for a car dealership to which a visit requires wiping your feet on the way out. Felt it was going to be a complete waste of time to deal with him, but business is business. On the day I would be seeing buyers, I arranged for him to come the earliest , so I could get that out of the way.

He started texting me early that morning that he was borrowing a truck from a friend so he could haul the bike back with him to South Miami. This man had no car, and likely no driver license. He revealed that he had just started working at the dealership and needed a way to get to work. I nearly cancelled with him.

At the appointed time, I rode the bike over to the shopping center where we agreed to meet. When I showed up he was just standing outside, and there was no truck matching the description he gave in the entire lot. Weird. He looks the bike over, and approved of the bike and price. We shook hands and he asked for the title. Given that I'm sitting on a motorcycle, and he has no vehicle in sight, I recommended we sit in the Starbuck's behind me and fill out the title and bill of sale. He looks at me with disgust and says, "Hey man! I don't know you!".

A little Stranger Danger is probably healthy when dealing on CL, but for real? If I'm going to rob or slaughter someone in the middle of a busy Starbuck's, an open parking lot is probably not going to dissuade me.

So he says he'd like to ride it first. OK. So you can't sit with me at a table in Starbuck's, but I'm supposed to let you ride off on my bike when you apparently have no motor vehicle in sight? Not happening. I told him the same thing I tell everyone. The same thing everyone selling a bike says. Cash on deck, and you ride. He looked at the condition of the bike again and decided he would get his truck and we would do the paperwork on his hood. Whatever. So he goes to get his truck, and after about 45 seconds, it was apparent he was not coming back.

I texted him that since he was clearly not coming back, I would be meeting my next prospective buyer. He stated that he was going to be passing. I told him that was fairly obvious since he fled without a word like a dumpster roach avoiding a falling bag of rotten food. He threatened to come back and show me who was a roach. I reminded him that he ran away like a a teenage girl who got a run in her mother's shoplifted pantyhose, and heard nothing further from him.

The next buyer texted me and told me that he was coming from Boynton Beach and was behind a serious serious accident on I95 and would be late. An examination of Waze and the I95 traffic cams on my phone revealed no such incident.

Third buyer said he was 15 minutes away and gave his exact location. By this time, I was eating some sort of organic turkey sandwich, a bottle of water that promises my purchase is going toward building wells in Ethiopia, and whatever the heck an iced Venti Macchiato is.

Third buyer shows up in Polaris Slingshot with his girlfriend. Had an easy go with him. He left me standing there with his girlfriend with the cash in my hands as he went for a really aggressive test drive, and let me keep it when he returned. We sat down and filled out the title and bill of sale, and he went on his merry way at the helm of the Tenere while his girl tailed in the Slingshot.

All in all, I spent a little more than hour at the Starbuck's. Never go to the place much, but an Iced Venti Macchiato is pretty good on a hot day.
whistle.gif

Did you confirm the cash wasn't counterfeit?

I think I've had too many run-ins with dirtbags when selling items..

He owns a Polaris Slingshot and lives in South Florida. What do you think? LOL.
lol.gif

I won't comment specifics on another man's woman, but even the most diehard powersports fan might not have noticed the Slingshot.

Yes, the cash was good. The new hundreds have a plenitude of ways of verifying authenticity, and even North Korea can't dupe the "high def" crystalline strip on the face of them. Money has already been deposited, and the promised share distributed to my friend. Bank verified what I already knew.

Last edited:
I don't even bother with CL anymore. Between the spam, scams, low ballers, it just isn't worth the time.

Ebay for shippable items. Want ad, autotrader, cars.com, etc. for cars.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
He owns a Polaris Slingshot and lives in South Florida. What do you think? LOL.
lol.gif

I won't comment specifics on another man's woman, but even the most diehard powersports fan might not have noticed the Slingshot.

Yes, the cash was good. The new hundreds have a plenitude of ways of verifying authenticity, and even North Korea can't dupe the "high def" crystalline strip on the face of them. Money has already been deposited, and the promised share distributed to my friend. Bank verified what I already knew.

How much did he pay ?

Mr. won't go to Starbucks - when he said "hey man, I don't know you" - that would be a red flag for a very immature or unstable buyer, undesirable, do not complete sale, leave at once.

I have a quick CL car sale story. I sold a car recently for my second time ever on Craigslist. I had the usual tire kickers waste my time, but one guy was so determined to get the car he agreed to buy it before he even drove it, looked inside it, or anything. A short while later I had cash in my hand and I've been rather pleased since.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Mr. won't go to Starbucks - when he said "hey man, I don't know you" - that would be a red flag for a very immature or unstable buyer, undesirable, do not complete sale, leave at once.

I have a quick CL car sale story. I sold a car recently for my second time ever on Craigslist. I had the usual tire kickers waste my time, but one guy was so determined to get the car he agreed to buy it before he even drove it, looked inside it, or anything. A short while later I had cash in my hand and I've been rather pleased since.

I did the same thing not too long ago. I think the guy just priced the car about 1k over what the dealer offered him, but that was about 2k under private party/retail so I told him if the car checked out, I'd just pay him right there. Brought a bank check with me and gave it a look over and it was as advertised so we just did the paperwork and that was that. CL too.

Typical craigslist. Craigslist really is a good sample of what the rest of the population is like.

I only sell lawn equipment and a few car parts, but I'd say 80% of the people are fine. The rest are pretty ridiculous. It also varies greatly by area. One of my friends lives on the other side of the state near a city, and his experience is the opposite, 80% are nuts while 20% are okay to deal with.

I always meet in a public place that has parking lot surveillance.

I bought my Sonata on Craigslist and the seller was a foreign student here for a PhD and was leaving the state. The price was quite a bit below book and he had dealership service records that I verified. The mileage was also low for a 2012 - 48K. I was happy about all that, and the car drove great.

But he cut off the insurance after I agreed to buy it. The bank was not happy because the tags were expiring in less than 60 days, but you need proof of insurance to get new tags. I tried to get insurance on my own so that I could get tags but you can't buy insurance on something you don't own. I finally had to borrow money against my retirement account so that I could then pay for a money order to give to him at the tax office, then I could get insurance and tags, and finally then did my bank give me the money, which I put back into my retirement account.

Moral of the story is don't cut off insurance until the sale is final. I would have gladly reimbursed the seller to continue insurance for a few days and paid to renew the tags just to avoid all this hassle.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
I bought my Sonata on Craigslist and the seller was a foreign student here for a PhD and was leaving the state. The price was quite a bit below book and he had dealership service records that I verified. The mileage was also low for a 2012 - 48K. I was happy about all that, and the car drove great.

But he cut off the insurance after I agreed to buy it. The bank was not happy because the tags were expiring in less than 60 days, but you need proof of insurance to get new tags. I tried to get insurance on my own so that I could get tags but you can't buy insurance on something you don't own. I finally had to borrow money against my retirement account so that I could then pay for a money order to give to him at the tax office, then I could get insurance and tags, and finally then did my bank give me the money, which I put back into my retirement account.

Moral of the story is don't cut off insurance until the sale is final. I would have gladly reimbursed the seller to continue insurance for a few days and paid to renew the tags just to avoid all this hassle.

Very strange in Texas. I was able to buy insurance over the phone with Geico for a car that I didn't even have but just bought. I'm not sure why the previous owner would need to insure something he didn't own.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Brons2

Very strange in Texas. I was able to buy insurance over the phone with Geico for a car that I didn't even have but just bought. I'm not sure why the previous owner would need to insure something he didn't own.
Yeah that's really weird. I can insure other people's car and I can register a car I bought without insurance, no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back