Upgrade from Bosch Quietcast Pads--Saab 9-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Saab 9-3 with Bosch Quietcast pads (BP819) on the front. The car stops okay, but I'd like it to be better. What would be an upgrade from these pads?

Try Ate, Textar, Jurid, or Pagid pads. They always work very well on BMWs.

edyvw has talked well of the EBC Redstuff pads on his VW (there is a very recent thread in the brake section). Might be worth giving those a try if EBC makes them for your car.

Originally Posted By: ET16
What would be an upgrade from these pads?

Two pieces of linoleum works better as does a couple of wood blocks, either is an upgrade. ATE, TMD friction (Pagid, Mintex, Textar) the usual Euro brands will be much better than the quietcast, personally I like the ATE for this.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: E150GT
New tires

Will new tires help with initial bite, feel, or fade?

I like Textar and Pagid.

Of course not but I very well could help the car stop better which is what the OP asked for.

Akebono Euro
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Akebono Euro
smile.gif

...if you want your car to feel like it has brakes from a Suburban.

The "OE" formula pads made by the major European friction brands mentioned are generally regarded as well-rounded performers, albeit at the expense of dust.

Brake pad evaluation is highly subjective, with many facets, so it's hard to make recommendations without something other than "better" as a qualifier.

In that sense, it's very similar to tires, and the objective grading systems like UTQG, while desirable, are limited in scope, helpfulness and are not always reflective of real world performance.

As one example, the "GG" friction code rating should make Akebono Euros the king of all pads, right? Yet that characterization is at distinct odds with the experience of a lot of users, who find that their characteristics cannot be summarized by their friction coefficient taken at two distinct temperatures.

I did much more research than I cared to prior to my last set of new pads, and one thing that was evident is that the Akebonos are polarizing, and are liked more for their low dusting than their performance. Subjectively, they are fine as street pads, but even then, their detractors cited poor "bite" and wooden feel as negatives. Note that the former characteristic would seem at odds with the objective rating, which illustrates the need for caution in relying entirely on the two little letters in choosing a pad.

Throw in the variability of applications, brake designs, and opinions, and it gets even more fun.

I got suckered, and installed a set of Bosch QuietCast pads on the front of my Toyota pickup along with a new set of Raybestos rotors a few months ago. They were the loudest screeching brakes I have ever heard in my life. Total junk that I threw in the trash.

Installed a set of Raybestos Professional Grade semi-metallic, and they have been quiet.

Anything would be an upgrade to the Bosch pads!
lol.gif

Bosch is like SONY. They make everything, from needle to components for Space Shuttle.
You want better initial bite? ATE, Textar, Jurid, TMD (Textar, PAgid, Mintex), EBC Red Stuff or Yellow stuff (be careful: they have amazing initial bite, but noise also). BMW's that dust a lot have very good initial bite. I use now Textar pads instead of BMW pads and there is no difference in bite or dust.
Avoid Akebono at any cost if initial bite is important.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Bosch is like SONY. They make everything, from needle to components for Space Shuttle.
You want better initial bite? ATE, Textar, Jurid, TMD (Textar, PAgid, Mintex), EBC Red Stuff or Yellow stuff (be careful: they have amazing initial bite, but noise also). BMW's that dust a lot have very good initial bite. I use now Textar pads instead of BMW pads and there is no difference in bite or dust.

Bosch doesn't even own the foundation brake (calipers/pads/rotors/drums) business any longer. They sold it to a PE firm years ago, probably along with a license to the name.

I'd consider Bosch for their core products like air/fuel/ignition components if the OEM did, but for brakes, like everyone says, stick with the companies that specialize in them, like Conti (Alfred TEves) or TMD.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
The Akebono pads I put on my Toyota Sienna have better initial bite than the OE pads.

That may be less likely coming from a European make's OE pads.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Forgot to add that, if not already evident, to avoid pads marketed as "ceramic" if that applies.

Akebono may seem like a punching bag, but their aftermarket lineup is all ceramic. It also applies to the ceramic pads made by performance brands like Hawk, which aren't as well-received as their other pads.

Ceramic pads provide a different experience, and generally don't "bite" as hard. Whether that's seen as positive or negative (particularly when weighed against other things like dust) is up to the user, but they do act differently.

In my own experience, I recently switched from what could be considered a street-performance pad (Axxis Ultimates) to a ceramic street pad (Textar ePad).

My initial aim wasn't to go the low-dust route, but then I started to lean that way, as long as the feel/performance sacrifice was acceptable. The totality of what I read told me that I probably wouldn't like the Akebono Euros, so I opted against them.

What little I did find on the Textar ePads suggested that they would better preserve those characteristics, while still providing a benefit in terms of cleanliness. They were also cheaper, and from a known quantity, so I took a flyer on them, and have generally been pleased.

I do find that they aren't as touchy/grabby at low speeds as the Ultimates (a GF pad, FWIW), and require more pedal pressure at high speeds to achieve the same level of deceleration.

But after some acclimation, I don't feel the urge to toss them, and to some surprise, I'm enjoying not having to clean the front wheels nearly as often the rears, which are still Ultimates. The next test will come in the winter cold and wet.

Can't say how much of the difference stems from going to a "performance" pad to a "street" pad, and how much from the "ceramic" element, but it is different, and thus far, wholly acceptable.

YMMV.

Ceramics like some heat before they start grabbing hard. Akebono asp does a better job than most with cold bite. A couple of stops and they really bite hard. City traffic is enough to warm them.

If you want instant bite you need semi metallics and will have to deal with more dust and shorter rotor life. It's all trade offs with brakes.

I've never gotten into a daily driving situation where I felt I had inadequate brakes and I've had to dodge several accidents recently.

EDIT

I run akebono street performance on my fusion

Last edited:
I recently removed Bosch Quiet Cast pads from the 240 wagon and replaced them with PBR Ceramic. A world of difference. Much better cold and low speed bite. They are quiet - I mean silent. I couldn't be happier.

On the V70 I run Akebono Euro Ceramic. Love them. I'll never change.

Sam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back