Himalayan pink salt block cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a local on the radio talk about his wonderful salt block. I have NEVER heard of such a thing, hewd out of the moutains, pure organic salt with no additive, makes your burgers/steaks explode.

He said just heat it up to 450 using a no contact thermometer and quickly cook your food, the salt will infuse with the meat..it is healthy and medicinal.

I just got a few questions, like how do you clean a salt block without ruining the flavor, and can you use it on charcoal grilles without the smoke getting into the salt?

I've never heard of this(salt blocks are for livestock around here) before, now I got to try to find a good one, and cook some eggs.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that smoke would flavour it, a light wash will remove the surface layer of the salt.

I've had salt block shrimp when travelling, and it WAS very good.

I buy my himalayan salt rocks from the animal produce supplier, for $1/lb, where they sell it as salt licks for cattle...buy it at the supermarket/health food shop, and pay 10x that.

I'm in on this thread. Yum! I love the idea. I love salt
grin.gif

Best way to tenderize tough meat is to cover it in salt for one hour per inch. Then wash off and cook.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Salt is not healthy, that's why you always need a bit of it.

Only if you have hypertension or pre-hypertension. Those with normal blood pressure can eat all the salt they like.

Contrary to the ill advice given the American people by the FDA, salt does not cause hypertension.

A demonstration of the effectiveness of the Federal Government's misinformation will be those that are going to adamantly reply telling me how wrong I am.
09.gif

Sorry. Off topic.

I've never heard of this cooking trend.

I got a set as a gift several years ago and rarely have used them. One if for hot cooking and the other is for seasoning.

The key is that you need to heat the cooking one evenly and slowly. Not a good idea on a charcoal grill. You can put it directly over a gas burner on a low setting and then move it to your grill I guess.

Since the salt has anti microbial properties, you can put raw food on it and just wash it off.

Linky

Not related to cooking, but I suffer from migraines and this salt really makes them go away when nothing else will. And I mean nothing. I put 2 tsp in a tall glass of water with some lemon juice. I used the granulated kind. Hate the taste of it, but I can tell you it works. No idea why, it's not like I haven't tired just about everything under the sun.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
Not related to cooking, but I suffer from migraines and this salt really makes them go away when nothing else will. And I mean nothing. I put 2 tsp in a tall glass of water with some lemon juice. I used the granulated kind. Hate the taste of it, but I can tell you it works. No idea why, it's not like I haven't tired just about everything under the sun.

What do you mean by making them go away? Does it abort the headache during the aura or take the pain away later?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Best way to tenderize tough meat is to cover it in salt for one hour per inch. Then wash off and cook.
Is that what she said? Oh wait, humor forum's that way.
45.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What do you mean by making them go away? Does it abort the headache during the aura or take the pain away later?

Well I may be misunderstanding your question, but when I feel a migraine coming on (there are tell tale signs) I do my Himalayan salt potion and it zaps it, no more main, good to go. Even if it already started it'll halt the pain within a half hour. Otherwise they'll run for 8-12 hours.

I also get a painless migraine, where I get no pain but I see a ring of sparkles. Starts small, gets larger and larger until it exits my periphery. I don't care so much about those since they're painless, aside from it messing up my vision. Sounds like hoohy but I assure you these are real. Oddly, I never had those until when I was 19 I had open heart surgery, then coming out of surgery it was the first thing I saw. I get them a couples time a year, no big deal. FWIW I just turned 53 on Fri, so I'l well acquainted with them.

Anyway, the salt works, I recommend it to anyone suffering from migraines. Google it, I didn't invent my recipe.

Yeah, sorry I get classical migraines where I have the aura (the sparkly, shimmering line) for about a half hour which as you note is painless. But then the pain comes and that is pretty resistant to most anything but narcotics, with my type both are experienced never just one. Most migraine medicines are taken during the aura when the headache can be aborted. I just wondered when exactly you were taking the salt.

To be honest I'm not sure I'm willing to try it during the aura to see if it subsequently prevents the pain.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I also get a painless migraine, where I get no pain but I see a ring of sparkles. Starts small, gets larger and larger until it exits my periphery. I don't care so much about those since they're painless, aside from it messing up my vision. Sounds like hoohy but I assure you these are real.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4062700/1

Wow so you guys know what I'm talking about. When I experienced my first one (after surgery) I went years being afraid/embarrassed to mention it to anyone, I was sure no one would ever understand especially since it was so hard to describe. Finally went to a Dr, then a second opinion, which put my mind at ease. Until this very moment I'd never met anyone with first hand experience similar to mine.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the food thread.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Salt is not healthy, that's why you always need a bit of it.

Only if you have hypertension or pre-hypertension. Those with normal blood pressure can eat all the salt they like.

Contrary to the ill advice given the American people by the FDA, salt does not cause hypertension.

A demonstration of the effectiveness of the Federal Government's misinformation will be those that are going to adamantly reply telling me how wrong I am.
09.gif

Sorry. Off topic.

I've never heard of this cooking trend.

So you make a supposition completely contrary to most medical experts and then preemptively accuse anyone that might argue your supposition is a victim of the Federsl Governments misinformation campaign and not worth their salt?

Brilliant strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back