Because I Can Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna guess it's because the bomb proof 50's design doesn't care what you feed it. In a world full of highly advanced, tight tolerance smog motors, there is something refreshing about that. When you turn the key, it just goes.

Originally Posted By: amcguru
I'm gonna guess it's because the bomb proof 50's design doesn't care what you feed it. In a world full of highly advanced, tight tolerance smog motors, there is something refreshing about that. When you turn the key, it just goes.

There was no plastic in the 50's cars save for the bakelite steering wheel or whatever it was made from.

Free Team Hat
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Red91

12 quarts SJ Castrol Heavy Duty 30wt
24 quarts CF/SJ Mobil Delvac 1230 30wt

Sure that Delvac 1230 isn't CF-2? The PDS for the modern 1230 shows a TBN of only 5.8, that will deplete fairly quickly in a gas engine, it's intended for 2 stroke DD diesels.

Red91; I'm down to my last 4.5 liters of 1330 from a 20L pail I opened in March. Two changes on a 13 matrix and one on a 3 5.3L GMC 1500.
Mono-grade season will be over in the great white north in 8 weeks. I can use up the last of the SAE30 with either 10w30 or 15w40 1300.

I've used Duron 30 and 40 in both my 06 & 11 Duramax, P1200 Zn1350, which is about the same as Delo 400 30 'n 40. In a gasoline engine above say 20F, your 1230 CF-2 might be the ultimate engine oil. HTHS 3.5-3.7 NOACK likely 2-4% I've used HD30 & 40 Castrol in motorcycles, VW Beetles and their 10W40 motorcycle went in my JD 22 hp tractor for a couple of years.
20w50 Castrol MC would be a way around the California oil law.
I read your UOA. What's not to like about your SAE30 program?

Edit as per the last post; TBN or now just "BN" retention, depletion rate is just as important as the BN of the fresh oil.

Last edited:
The labeling indentifies the Delvac as a mixed fleet oil suitable for diesel and gasoline engines. Even with the CF-2 spec listed in addition to the CF/SJ spec, I don't believe the 1230 to be a dedicated Detroit two stroke oil,such as Delo 100.

Below twenty degree F days are exceedingly rare down here. The Delo 400 30wt did fine early last winter (2016), as has the Kendall GT-1 30wt in the latter half of the season (2017).

I'm not understanding the shear resistant part. 5w30 after 6,300 miles in my GDI engine and it kept in grade perfectly fine. Also, wear metals were 1/2 of the average.

I don't care.
Why even post on here if you have the biggest attitude?

Seriously, you're like a little girl. Don't make claims if you can't take someone questioning you, and you don't have an ounce of evidence to back up your claims.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't care.
Why even post on here if you have the biggest attitude?

Because, 'Bama and 'Murica

But really the oil isnt the hot topic here. I'd like to know why the back has all that gravel in there.

I mean you ever kneel on a sharp piece of gravel on concrete.. that is pain.

Is it attitude, or do I perhaps just really not care? Why do you post in a straight 30wt thread?

Give me some time and I'll dig up the links members Shannow and BrocLuno have posted showing significantly less bearing and upper cylinder wear when testing SAE 30 vs multigrades.

You know nothing of me. If you did, you'd be rather horrified to learn my personal views on most Americans and Alabama natives.

The gravel is there because I have hauled gravel in the back of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back