Price of batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told when I worked at a Napa store that we do not mine lead here anymore,,but that was counter talk,,,you cannot rely on counter talk..

The Group 75 gold batteries I purchased 2 years ago at $105 each are still available at that same price either on Ebay or Sears On-Line. On Ebay it's $102. Must have to do with your particular brand/OEM/model.

Lead prices have gone up over the last 10 years,this is why they charge 18-25 for a core now.They want it back BAD!

The price of materials and overhead, and to show a bigger profit to shareholders. The profit may be the main factor. The others can be an easy excuse to raise prices. The stop start system cars take AGM batteries I understand, cost 150-200. I gave my 07 Prius to daughter with 68k on it. She loves it, but the small AGM battery is about $200 now. I managed to get one for $140 on a sale. Very small battery Optima, made by Johnson Controls.
Cars were cheaper too. A pickup truck starting at 25K before taxes and license for a basic model? Maybe it's more.

Several years ago my dad was buying junk cores and reselling them. He got a call from a American man over seas, I think he was in Pakistan, that wanted my dad to buy batteries for him. He wanted to buy them by the conex box load. I am not sure where he wanted them shipped to, my dad's health didn't allow him to take on that large of a project.

That is like waste oil. The oil recovery people used to buy waste oil, now they charge us to pick it up.

One reason why I started using a float charger at night. The Penn West Duracell for my Ford F-150 at Sam's is still $105 though. Warranty not quite as good.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Walmart here sells their "Value Power" battery here for just under $50.00 and tax if one is looking for an inexpensive battery.

In five convenient group sizes! ,(I have a 65 in my f150 almost two years old now)

Recently bought a battery for the wife's Lexus RX330. It was $200 but it was a Platinum AGM.
I miss the Costco price some years ago, and the coverage/return/exchange.

I now buy all my automotive batteries at Rural King due to outrageous price increases and lower quality batteries I have been previously buying (AZ -Duralast Golds or Advance Auto/CARQUEST). The RK batteries made by Exide may not be the best batteries out there but I am not paying $150 a piece for group 65's for my diesel trucks that I only get 3 years service before having to replace them. The group 65's @ RK are $70 each w/ 2 year free replacement and 72 months pro-rate. 24F batteries for my Toyota's are $49 each with same warranty, they have been in service without issues for over 3 years. I just saw a "Cops" episode where they were questioning someone outside a NAPA store and their billboard advertised NAPA premium group 65 for $39 and that was back in '06, so basically 400% increase in 10years.

Originally Posted By: aquartlow
I now buy all my automotive batteries at Rural King due to outrageous price increases and lower quality batteries I have been previously buying (AZ -Duralast Golds or Advance Auto/CARQUEST). The RK batteries made by Exide may not be the best batteries out there but I am not paying $150 a piece for group 65's for my diesel trucks that I only get 3 years service before having to replace them. The group 65's @ RK are $70 each w/ 2 year free replacement and 72 months pro-rate. 24F batteries for my Toyota's are $49 each with same warranty, they have been in service without issues for over 3 years. I just saw a "Cops" episode where they were questioning someone outside a NAPA store and their billboard advertised NAPA premium group 65 for $39 and that was back in '06, so basically 400% increase in 10years.

I don't believe that a Napa group 65 was $39 in 2006. When I started driving in the mid 90's we were paying $70-80 for 950-1100 CA Champion batteries at Discount Auto Parts.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Several years ago my dad was buying junk cores and reselling them. He got a call from a American man over seas, I think he was in Pakistan, that wanted my dad to buy batteries for him. He wanted to buy them by the conex box load. I am not sure where he wanted them shipped to, my dad's health didn't allow him to take on that large of a project.
Yes, that part of the world (Pak-India-Bangladesh) sure doesn't mind dealing with toxic heavy metals in recycling.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Walmart here sells their "Value Power" battery here for just under $50.00 and tax if one is looking for an inexpensive battery.
You can get a better battery for less than that at Rural King, if you have one handy. Limited choice of sizes, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back