Plymouth Acclaim curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking for a Spirit/acclaim/Lebaron with a console or floor shifter for a while.I can find a number of column shift models but for some reason I want a console shift auto or a 5spd.Neither of which seems to exist locally.So while I was bouncing around on craigslist I found a 90 Acclaim 3.0v6 and console shift auto. and 140k in the next state east.I suspect the auto is the troublesome 4spd o/d.The owner did not know what trans was in the car,he did say there was an"O" around the D on the shift indicator.I told him I was worried about that tranny as it was subject to several recalls.He sent me the vin and I went by the Dodge dealer and had the vehicle looked up.The girl (she looked about 20)looking it up said HMMM I don't see any recalls for this vehicle.She called over another service guy who looked like he had been around forever he looked over her shoulder raised his eyebrows and said"nope no recalls on that vehicle.unusual.".I am curious as to how the car missed involvement in the recalls.I was under the impression that the first 2-3 years of the o/d tranny were all problems and the later ones(93 up or so) had the issues resolved.The guy with the vehicle is a flipper he had a listed a while back at 1250 and has dropped it down to 1000.The vehicle was originally light bronze/champagne with a tan interior.Someone had it painted dark blue but did not bother painting the door jambs ,sills etc.so basically the car looks like [censored] when the doors are opened.Guy says it runs (no smoke)and shifts good but needs valve cover gaskets.I'm thinking about maybe offering 800-850.I have experience with 2.2 and 2.5 4cyl engines but not the v6 chryco/mitsu products any thing to look out for?

You can go on Autotrader and input the features you like on the car and do a national search. I remember those back in the day. We had an 89 Dodge Shadow four door, automatic, with the 2.5 liter engine which was an upgrade over the 2.2. Dark cherry was the color.

I'd hold out for 2.5/3 speed, it was the most reliable powertrain combo. The 93+ V6 could be had with the 3 speed auto if you really want the V6. The V6 was known for dropping valve guide seals causing oil burning, but was greatly improved by '93.

I'd say only 1% were manuals, maybe 10% had an auto with floor shifter.

A '91 LX in white would be nice!

Fueleconomy.gov shows only a 4 speed auto for the v6 in your year.

Don't buy a car from a flipper. He knows more than you do.

A 3.0 of that vintage will be ready to take a massive leak from the seals at any moment. I would avoid the flipper mobile. It sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Would they do a recall on a 27 yr old car?

Would they even have the parts?

Did a train hit this poor car?

http://jok-cars.blogspot.com/2015/12/1994-plymouth-acclaim-vin.html

368a14bd-0350-4af7-9acf-fa671df69573.JPG

ecb07d6c-7c2d-4e34-9da4-6a060979d31a.JPG

c5e888c2-5702-403a-aa48-8668b4657ad7.JPG

I test drove a Dodge Shadow with a V6 5 speed that came in on trade when I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer. It was a good drivetrain in that car with ample torque.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Would they do a recall on a 27 yr old car?

I really doubt it.It amazed me that those rear axles were never recalled because the lower spring platform would rust and then collapse, dropping the car to the ground..

Last edited:
Seems like the vintage Acclaims I see in my neck of the woods anymore are only the V6s still on the road. My buddys Mom bought a brand new 1993 Dodge Shadow with the V6 back in the day. That car was a little screamer & I luved it. She had the 2.8L 1988 Beretta before that & that Shadow would wipe its arse from the door if ever matched up.

You might not be happy with a 2.5 5 speed-I had a '92 Shadow convertible with that powertrain, and there was a big gear ratio spread between gears, and I honestly thought the engine was pretty noisy & weak compared to 2.2 cars I've driven, you would be better off with the V6 3 speed (or 4 speed) auto.

I am under the impression the dealer data base will check for outstanding recalls on the vehicle, meaning recalls issued that do not show to be done, not whether or not there ever were any recalls.

I am thinking whatever recalls were issued on it were done by a dealer at some point. But it's old enough there simply may not be good digital records either.

You are correct, a VIP report will list open recalls. If a recall has been performed it will be closed and not show up. Parts availability is also a problem on older vehicles. I have personally experienced a recall on a old Jeep Wrangler that we could not get parts for.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Fueleconomy.gov shows only a 4 speed auto for the v6 in your year.

Don't buy a car from a flipper. He knows more than you do.

Unfortunately, In my area the vast majority of cars "For Sale by Owner" on CL are being sold by flippers...When somebody has 5 or 6 cars for sale, he's a DEALER...

The paint would be an absolute dealbreaker for me.

With a car like that, it's a thin line between driving a quirky car or driving a complete ____box. I'll let you guess which side of the line that car sits on.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The paint would be an absolute dealbreaker for me.

With a car like that, it's a thin line between driving a quirky car or driving a complete ____box. I'll let you guess which side of the line that car sits on.

It depends if you are an individual who craves attention and has to impress others. Some only worry about getting from point A to B and don't care what others think.

Last edited:
I see some people misunderstood part of my post.I had the vin ran to see if the vehicle had been serviced to correct the problems of the recalls.I was under the impression that the needed services would have been logged in the system.(my mazda dealer can give me service history of our tribute for example).I was not aware that when servicing was done the info was closed out of the system.So I guess the fact that there are no open service tickets on it is good news...apparently servicing was done..or the info was lost over the years.
Well any way I think the question is moot.A little voice in my head is whispering "let it pass"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back