Amazon Price Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was doing a large item order with Amazon- not a bunch of money buy a bunch of junk I needed.
I was adding to my cart through the whole day trying to get it all at once. I had a bunch of "add on" items

Amazon kept changing the prices like I was on the stock exchange.
One item was $3.09 and it changed hourly and often by just 1 cent at a time
Crazy.............
You ever notice if you buy something on a regular basis and want it later Amazon targets you at a higher price?
I see that often

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
go to www.camelcamelcamel.com and see a chart of the price changes for every item on Amazon.

You can even set email alerts to let you know when the price has dropped below a setpoint.

That is very nice for the price checker... Thanks
My post was simply one cent changes often. But nothing is wrong with it.

It isn't necessarily Amazon that is changing the price. Many items sold on the website are fulfilled by third parties who can set their own prices. On top of that, third parties who sell on Amazon can pay for a service that monitors item pricing and adjusts their own item prices in response.

So the item in your cart is simply a reflection of who has the item in stock at the time and the price they have set.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
You can always buy at other place

It wasn't about saving money. It was about going up a penny at a time.
I just kept getting the cart warning.

Changing prices are good too. But yes those fast and frequent cart changes are annoying.

I purchased some Raybestos brake pads that sell in the mid to upper $30 range for $15. Purchased a Innova inductive timing light that sells in the mid to upper $20 price range for $16. Just lucked into those, but using a price checker set with alerts can save a significant amount of money especially if you have time to wait before the purchase.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Changing prices are good too. But yes those fast and frequent cart changes are annoying.

I purchased some Raybestos brake pads that sell in the mid to upper $30 range for $15. Purchased a Innova inductive timing light that sells in the mid to upper $20 price range for $16. Just lucked into those, but using a price checker set with alerts can save a significant amount of money especially if you have time to wait before the purchase.

Yes I agree
I don't like wasting days-hrs to get a price- some people do. But if it is business stuff sometimes every dollar counts.
Especially if you burn through it rapidly. They had M1 filters going crazy yesterday. I almost picked up a few but hey I don't need them...

One thing on Amazon
If somebody searches your email addy or phone number your Amazon Wish list can be found
Just keep that in mind if that kind of stuff bothers you.

A lot of sellers on Amazon use bots to undercut other sellers. It's normally not that dramatic but every now and then you will find a item where 2-3 sellers bots go at it and under cut the others by $5 or so dollars.

I remember once I was looking to buy a full series that was selling for $46 an it was down to $12 new. Amazon alone was offering $20 trade in for it lol.

They've been doing the penny changes for years. I remember reading about it probably in '08 or so; speculation is they make more money. Even a lot of clicks from different computers will send a price up.

You can make up a Wish List and put everything into it.
Over time it'll tell you if the price went up or down. If something goes up, just don't order it. My experience is it comes back down in a week or two. (Also, stuff does go down in price over time, and sometimes things go down unexpectedly, so with the Wish List you get to watch for that too.)

You can change the things from Wish List to cart, and check out, rather quickly, avoiding the penny stuff.

Prices are going to be firming up/creeping up now that we're into August, probably until late January. June and July are good discount months.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wonder if it has to do with changes in SHIPPING prices. Gas prices etc.

That is what I was thinking. I remember going to FedEx and was told they calculate wind speed, etc, when calculating shipping price. There are a lot of variables that go into shipping price. What you may be seeing is their computer is just getting better at looking at all the variables that go into the final price and adjusting price when things change.

Vendors try to stay on top of the selection. So the fight often time is over a penny or two to stay on top.
I have Prime so don't care about the shipping [censored] and add items that I have on wish list and need through the day and often are packed and shipped together unless are coming out of way different warehouses. Just got a small grill and a generator that they shipped up from Florida.
The savings with watching the list a few times a day has saved me about $200 in upgrades for the 99 truck alone in the last month. Led taillight assembly, projector headlights and airlift bags.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
It makes absolute sense to be dynamic and competitive with other places along with demand.

Seriously?

Competitive & Dynamic on an hourly basis?

When you go to the grocery store, should you expect the price of the items in your cart to have changed by the time you reach the check out counter?

I don't think anyone would consider that reasonable.

To the OP, if you have Prime then why not just place partial orders as you find them? I seldom find my Amazon orders are shipped to me in one box anyway. I did have something similar happen as you describe for just one single item which jumped $5/each and I had ordered quantity six. The price jumped while I was completing my billing details.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
One thing on Amazon
If somebody searches your email addy or phone number your Amazon Wish list can be found

Is this true?
Isn't it possible to keep ones Amazon account wish lists private?

It's an algorithm that adjusts prices automatically, if the seller has opted for that service.

If anyone here has ever sold an item on Amazon, and ended up competing with "Amazon Warehouse Deals" then you'll know that their algo constantly tries to beat you by a few pennies. Nothing you can do about it.

Yes it is. I punched in an old friends email into Bing to see if they were still active on the net with their poetry and it brought about their Amazon Wish List. I actually got out quickly as I don't think this should be public. I told her and it came up under her phone # too. She deleted the wish list and I never keep one since then

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
One thing on Amazon

Is this true?
Isn't it possible to keep ones Amazon account wish lists private?

To the OP, if you have Prime then why not just place partial orders as you find them? I seldom find my Amazon orders are shipped to me in one box anyway. I did have something similar happen as you describe for just one single item which jumped $5/each and I had ordered quantity six. The price jumped while I was completing my billing details.

I do as I buy a bunch for the family. I guess being involved in shipping I try to limit expenses and waste. I really don't like all the boxes even though I recycle them but you are correct that would end that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back